Author Topic: KATANA UP  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
Re: KATANA UP
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:27:55 pm »
The katana isn't any better at cutting through armour than any other bladed weapon.  In fact, these swords had hard but brittle edges that didn't fair so well against materials of similar hardness.  Any parrying done with the katana, is done with surfaces other than the edge in order to protect it's sharpness.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »
Ah here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYvwEnKRjA

The broadsword apeares more sluggish and unbalanced, but they both cut well.

And by finely crafted i meant the weight, balacne, sharpness etc. not the art.

And Vygar is right the blunt side of a seasoned warrior had many little notches from parrying.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Tempest

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tempest
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »
I am not a katana lover(and i used to play as a ninja) but here is some katana love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih7bmzFQ9rI
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:24 pm »
I've seen enough anime to know that katanas easily slice both armored or unarmored opponents in half with a single strike.  Watch some anime if you don't believe me.

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21:29 pm »
Is this is a troll thread? Please say it is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:26 pm »
It is what the community makes it.

The community is full of trolls so yes, this is a troll thread

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 02:03:19 am »
It is what the community makes it.

The community is full of trolls so yes, this is a troll thread

Incase youre cereal.
The katana is nowhere near as powerful as the anime cartoons you see, portray it.

The katana is sharp yes, but its also fragile and easy to break, as someone else allready said, it was mostly used to cut down  peasants.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 02:30:41 am »
The katana is sharp yes, but its also fragile and easy to break, as someone else allready said, it was mostly used to cut down  peasants.

and not any sharper than other cutting swords ...but don`t forget that the katanas nowadays are not that fragile...they were because of bad steel now with the globalism the japanese can buy better steel from other lands :P

the almighty katana is something out of fantasy...most swords are of similar quality.

and no im not an katana hater or lover...i like all weapons :D though i hate that most people think the only swords the japanese have are katans :P

asian swords are not better than european swords and eurpean swords are not better than asian swords...

and again...hard to understand because a sword to cut down 4340349 enemies in one strike like in hollywood movies...the Sword might be a good overall weapon but much better weapons exists to for example kill heavy infantry or other enemies.

polearms were the primary weapon for many armies for a reason.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:33:03 am by Farrok »

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 02:51:42 am »
polearms were the primary weapon for many armies for a reason.
Mainly striking distance and price
add to that the fact that sword in inexperienced hands is only a danger to self, whereas almost everyone can use a pointy stick.

Swords take training, time, upkeep, and 3 times the amout of metal that most polearms/pikes have.
most polearms also started out as farming implements before they were later adopted and weaponized by the millitary.  Take for instance, the billhook.  Designed for cutting branches and taking care of orchards.  used quite effectively by press-ganged farmers during war to kill mounted knights, pulling them from their horses.
the peasants knew how to handle their farming tools, and the majority of armies in the middle ages were serfs protecting their lords interests.  It only makes sense that they designed the polearms in such a way that these people would have the greatest advantage with something that was more familiar in their hands
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 04:01:52 am »
add to that the fact that sword in inexperienced hands is only a danger to self, whereas almost everyone can use a pointy stick.

Huh?
Well I don't have a sword but I have some pretty big knives I use without training. And so far I havn't hurt myself ... don't cut myself regularily ... am still alive. Well...

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 04:12:39 am »
Huh?
Well I don't have a sword but I have some pretty big knives I use without training. And so far I havn't hurt myself ... don't cut myself regularily ... am still alive. Well...

Now try cutting your potatos with a spear. Might not be that effective, but you won't hurt yourself at all

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:40 am »
Katana was easily able to cut through the thickest steel armor. That's the reason why Japanese didn't use metal armor or shields. It even occationally happened that atoms were sliced from a cut of really well crafted katana. This would then lead the brief existence of unstable fission products, giving the sword a faint radioactive aura. It is assumpted that Godzilla was created because of this, when a missed katana swing cut through a pitchblende rock next to a lizard egg.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 11:04:31 am »
Incase youre cereal.
The katana is nowhere near as powerful as the anime cartoons you see, portray it.

I dont watch anime cartoons and infrom yourself about the making process before you say that they are fragile and easy to break cause thats BS.

The metal wasnt beaten into place in a conventionaly way it was folded and stretched over and over again untill the sword got its basic shape, thats why it was able to flex and still remain sharp. It wasnt a brittle piece of metal i dont know where you got that from.

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 11:07:30 am »
Katanas are underpowered.
Edit: corrected link, now it works.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:44:21 pm by Dunecat »
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 11:22:50 am »
The reason the process was so complex was mostly due to the poor quality of the iron ore they had to use. It was an interesting process and ingenious, but I wouldn't say it ended up producing "superior" quality weapons compared to other places. They basically had to do a lot more work with the ore to get it to the same strength. I also don't know about fragile, it was probably as fragile versus armor as any other curved, slashing weapon who's main purpose was never to get through armor. The katana was mostly a status symbol for samurais anyways, when they actually went to war they would usually use a naginata (polearm), yari (polearm) or bows.