Author Topic: KATANA UP  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
Re: KATANA UP
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 11:45:24 am »
1. Real tamahagane katanas can cut down a man in half with a single swing.

2. Talking about realism it should be superior because it is; in terms of balance, weight and sharpness the katana is unmatched.

Edit: 3. if you ask me the tanto, nagimake, yari and tachi should also be introduced for more variety

It seems nobody is reading my original post so ill quote it.

Firslty i didnt say the katana could cut trought plate. (1.)

The second statement stands. (2.)

The katana was mostly a status symbol for samurais anyways, when they actually went to war they would usually use a naginata (polearm), yari (polearm) or bows.

My third suggestion supports this. (3.)

I dont know why every one got the impression that i was saying the katana was the ultimate wepon of doom that  could cut trough diamonds and kill a milion men in a single slash :rolleyes: so many ppl bashing instead of reading my original post, i just responded to the statement that it was a shitty weapon, wich it wasnt. The reason i responded was because i personaly admire and respect the smiths and masters that worked on it.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 07:38:24 pm »
You know, i did read your original post just now. i will say this.

1.) katanas are good swords IRL, and in game at the moment.

2.) game balance takes precedence over any historical accuracy, although a longsword and a katana have a similar function, irl, and in the game... dueling weapons that can be used 1h/2h without heavy penalties. longsword is slower/longer, katana is faster/shorter.

also...

Longsword   5123   weight 1.8  -----> pretty well balanced duel weapon... european staple weapon of knights.
requirement 9
spd rtng 98
weapon length 106
swing damage 36, cut
thrust damage 25 pierce
Secondary Mode

Katana   8212   weight 1.25 ---------> a little op, but offset by its pricetag... and yes, its a weapon worthy of honor/recognition.
requirement 9
spd rtng 102
weapon length 95
swing damage 35, cut
thrust damage 18 pierce

Heavy Great Sword   9001   weight 2.75  --------> the next step up. considering good speed of the former, katana is better.
requirement 13
spd rtng 94
weapon length 120
swing damage 39, cut
thrust damage 25 pierce
Can't use on horseback

3.) yes, but just because they are japanese doesn't mean they should be OP... and let me say why. based on not only your first posts, but your posts and others you agree with this is primarily about one thing...

your preference for eastern weapons.

you are biased, like some others, that they are the best swords ever. any sword with similar properties to a katana, curved or non curved... will cut a man in half, considering the man is not armored... which would mean REALISTICALLY, neither a cruciform sword or a katana would do ANY DAMAGE AT ALL AGAINST CHAINMAIL. that would suck in game, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYvwEnKRjA

this talks about the swords being different for different purposes. the larger the sword, (european), the better at bashing.
the larger the sword (japanese) the better for slashing. different worlds, different armor, different technique, different physique.

Both are good. they have purposes different IN GAME, AND IN REAL LIFE!

thats my piece, peace.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 10:46:34 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I totaly agree with you, and i like western style swords also, mostly the "bastard" type ones, i think its a good mix between speed, lenght and control. The longer ones seem sluggish and i always prefered finesse over brute force.

In game tho i use a Danish greatsword. Since there is no stamina bar and you cant it makes it a very efficient weapon.

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Raskolnikov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:49 pm »
Not this "katana is the best sword eva!!!!" nonsense again, surely?

Watch a katana getting pwned by some German steel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hy_A9vjp_s

5:57 Katana chips longsword and, as a result, is bent beyond use.

6:41 German longsword tries same test but tears through sword, breaking it in half. Longsword suffers only minor chips to blade.

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:24 pm »
To be honest, German Steel imo is much better than japanese. they are a leader in steel manufacturing technique, and as a matter of fact, Germany is doing quite well for itself, seemingly better than its surrounding countries.

Im proud to be German-American.

along with the Milanese, the Germans lead the rest of Europe in Armor and Weapons development, creating some of the most fearsome medieval implements ever seen! other nations followed later.

even in WW2, these two European superpowers were a force to be reckoned with. we could have had Deuchland Duck in Disneyland were it not for the allied coalition. of course, Japan was in that force too... but not nearly as much of a threat. still 3rd place in the reich is like 3rd place in the olympics! Japan must have done something right!

Damn i wish that Onin No Ran would come to Warband! >:(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:42:23 pm by Soldier_of_God »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 03:30:30 am »
Toledo steel afaik was known as the best european steel.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 04:04:17 pm »
Toledo steel afaik was known as the best european steel.

Yeah it was during Renaissance, but even toledo steel is weak in comparisson to the steels of today.

During the middle ages, when MOST of the weaponry in crpg is set, Japanese steel was very mild, and that is why they layer it in katanas SO many times before they fold it.

Most europeans had better steel, but there was NO test center back then for your manufacturing process.

So think: Most of the soldiers on a field would have their own sword, and most of these individual swords would have come from a different blacksmith, who made each by hand: So, some people would have AMAZING swords, some would be passable, others would shatter on first use. But ANY heavy sword, axe, or polearm would most like go straight thru a Katana if they met midswing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sHTJAKN-5k&feature=related

check that out too see what would happen if a katana met a halberd mid swing.

Now: what we see on TV and movies as katanas, they are mostly made with modern high tensile steel, and a modern katana, made with such steel, if you ever found a traditional swordsmith who could work with modern steel, could make a sword that COULD slice thru steel plates, cars, etc. But it would need sharpening on VERY expensive materials (Stories tell currently of sharpening methods to take the edge beyond whats VISIBLE, sharpening it finally on silk, then dust blown across the blade at the exact angle).

But, today, you could make a sword that would slice thru medieval steel swords and armour.  Back in the middle ages, most samurai did their killing from horseback, with a bow, for a reason. Katana: Shithot for dueling, and looks very stylish, but not a battlefield weapon.

BTW, samurai means "The way of the horse and bow", so they have been getting some strange press in european cinema, since the time of Toshiro Mifune.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.