Author Topic: Windows 10 rollout started...  (Read 12844 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Windows 10 rollout started...
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2016, 05:15:38 pm »
Windows 10 is free.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2016, 05:26:01 pm »
Windows 10 is free.
for a limited time

Why 10 if you can have 8.1? 10 is pretty much 8.1 but with additional bad stuff.
directx12 is win10 exclusive and some games will need it to run. I yet only know one game which needs win10 and that´s Quantum Break (Publisher: Microsoft Studio, OH BOY WHAT A SURPRISE). I´ll stick to win7 until there are a couple of games I absolutely have to play. I really hope other publishers won´t follow that directx12 aka win10 bondage that fast. And when that day comes I hope there will be enough software to break and adapt that OS enough so a) I got full control over my system and not the win10 "we install some stuff for you/we take control so you don´t have to think" policy
b) cut off all their pesky information-jewing software and not simply "disable" a tiny bit of it

In a nutshell: Don´t force yourself to get the free version. Since a huge amount of people have it anyways now, there probably will be enough chances lateron where you´ll be able to get it for free, be it special offers or whatsoever
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2016, 06:06:15 pm »
Yeah, I know that currently there are just few showcase games relying on DX12. I kind of fear that games published later will jump on the Win10 bandwagon and force me to eventually get it. And if this entire "utilize all cores" thing becomes real, it will be really useful.

About software compatibility, Office applications and Adobe Reader are pretty much everything I need. I doubt those would give me any trouble.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2284
  • Infamy: 1759
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2016, 08:51:35 pm »
+1
I don't need those, my part time job is software dev and tools exist on every operating system. Considering steep prices of hardware, especially GPUs think I'll buy new console instead of gaming PC. Even OKAM has unreasonable hardware reqs, bad optimization is more than a trend for PC games. PS4 Neo will cost me under 600 euros, will offer at least 1080p/60fps gaming for about three years. PSN is 30-40 euro per year, games are discounted on PSN/Amazon just like Steam and preety much every quality game gets made for Playstation and exclusives are just icing on the cake. If Microsoft really push mouse&keyboard support for Xbox One then Sony will do the same. Mods are already big on Xbox One. Apart from really expensive new tech, like Gsync and 144Hz monitors and hardware needed to run that, I don't see what extra will Windows 10 PC gaming offer more than consoles. It will still be premium price wise and hardware capability wise, but will lack triple A exclusive games.

All in all, I haven't migrated to Windows 10 nor I plan to and was just being offered wonderful opportunity to bail out PC gaming scene. Praise you Sony and your decisions to shorten period between two generations and make it more like PC.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2016, 10:41:01 pm »
+2
Careful there, Leshma.

It's cheaper but noticably lower quality. My PS4 has had some pretty bad cooling issues and with only one year of warranty I had to take it apart myself, clean it out and replace the thermal compound because it was so badly put on it was 3/4 on the main board 1/4 on the APU. The fans get clogged to shit as well with dust, very quickly. PS4 controllers have terrible battery life, loading times are awful too. Also PS+ has given sweet fuck all in games I've actually wanted to play, all I can think of are Counter-Spy and Limbo plus the PS+ discounts are pretty crap for anything new, 10-15% tops is all I've seen and that's off the £50 retail price.

It is a lot cheaper though and you can tell.

I was leaning down the console route which was why I got one in the first place but the god awful loading times for Bloodborne kept me coming back to my PC and then I got Witcher 3 on it and that was so bad for performance I've given up on it for anything other than exclusive titles. Obviously the Neo could well improve things and I hope it does, competition is always good but at the moment there isn't much. Nintendo isn't a player, Microsoft are a distant second and if the only competitor to my experience with a PS4 is a PC I'm sticking with that.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2016, 10:56:28 pm »
+1
I don't need those, my part time job is software dev and tools exist on every operating system. Considering steep prices of hardware, especially GPUs think I'll buy new console instead of gaming PC. Even OKAM has unreasonable hardware reqs, bad optimization is more than a trend for PC games. PS4 Neo will cost me under 600 euros, will offer at least 1080p/60fps gaming for about three years. PSN is 30-40 euro per year, games are discounted on PSN/Amazon just like Steam and preety much every quality game gets made for Playstation and exclusives are just icing on the cake. If Microsoft really push mouse&keyboard support for Xbox One then Sony will do the same. Mods are already big on Xbox One. Apart from really expensive new tech, like Gsync and 144Hz monitors and hardware needed to run that, I don't see what extra will Windows 10 PC gaming offer more than consoles. It will still be premium price wise and hardware capability wise, but will lack triple A exclusive games.

All in all, I haven't migrated to Windows 10 nor I plan to and was just being offered wonderful opportunity to bail out PC gaming scene. Praise you Sony and your decisions to shorten period between two generations and make it more like PC.

Sony got some really cool exclusives coming up. Safe to say they're destroying Xbox and everyone else with consoles. And with so many PC games being just lazy ports PS4 isn't such a bad idea. But yeah I'd go for Neo if i'd get one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login