Author Topic: Windows 10 rollout started...  (Read 12928 times)

Offline MiniPrima

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Put the bread in the fridge, Obama's coming
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Hobos, PEPE, & Cucumbers
  • Game nicks: MiniPrima,Prod,THESIEGEOFAIRSNAKES,Naming_is_Hard_Hobo,Gandour
  • IRC nick: wut
Re: Windows 10 rollout started...
« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2015, 08:38:59 pm »
+1
I had the opportunity to test W10 on my brother's computer last week and it responded to everything quite faster than my current Win 7. I really liked that and to be honest, I am already kind of sold. Still I wanted to ask you guys one last time:

Should I take the nose dive into this? Will I, if I do take the step forward, have the means to get rid of at least some of the privacy concerns (yeah, I know Google etc. does it and we all lose our minds when Windows does the same)? I would just like to hear what you guys have to say, now that some of you have already been using it for a while.

it's ok, cRPG lags a little but not really somehow i dunno, but it's fine, in fact, i'd rather have windows 10 than 7, and i'm in love with 7, there's a couple of annoying things, notably the bright grey and black, you'll get it soon, it's the color of the tab thing, and the undertab thing, i dunno compooters, but it's ok, might as well try, don't kill me if anything wrong happens

in total, it's good, but slightly annoying sometimes, i couldn't care less, cause all i do is play most of the time, and browse on chrome, edge is great but not really, but its fine, might as well try but not really cause win7 is great but it's gonna be outdated soon but might as wait till they fix everything but it doesn't bother me kinda but its ok
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2015, 08:54:16 pm »
+1
So bottom line: It's ok but not really, right?

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »
Meh

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2015, 10:49:59 pm »
it's ok, cRPG lags a little but not really somehow i dunno, but it's fine, in fact, i'd rather have windows 10 than 7, and i'm in love with 7, there's a couple of annoying things, notably the bright grey and black, you'll get it soon, it's the color of the tab thing, and the undertab thing, i dunno compooters, but it's ok, might as well try, don't kill me if anything wrong happens

in total, it's good, but slightly annoying sometimes, i couldn't care less, cause all i do is play most of the time, and browse on chrome, edge is great but not really, but its fine, might as well try but not really cause win7 is great but it's gonna be outdated soon but might as wait till they fix everything but it doesn't bother me kinda but its ok

Just the kind of reply I was looking for. A few more of these and I am good to go :D

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2015, 10:47:31 am »
+1
I don't mind people copying good ideas as long as the implementation is good too. What I meant is that Apple has been doing a real effort towards actual privacy at least when it comes to some mobile functionalities.
In all fairness, same goes for Android 5. The added ability to change access rights for every program is well done.

@Daunt: Runs fully smooth for me. Same for crpg, didn't notice any change. On the contrary, there are few high demanding games that actually run noticeably better on Win10 than before (FarCry 4 for example).
Personally, I am very happy with Win10.

Also, there is this...

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/05/donotspy10-configure-windows-10-privacy-settings/

Oww, about the tool - ad-financed, so keep an eye out during install for search bar installer and these kind of crap. After install, it's fine.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:03:25 am by Molly »
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2015, 05:18:48 pm »

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/05/donotspy10-configure-windows-10-privacy-settings/

Oww, about the tool - ad-financed, so keep an eye out during install for search bar installer and these kind of crap. After install, it's fine.

Bleh, unless you don't have a google account, facebook account or nothing else this won't matter much. Why is it only when Microsoft does this people get their jimmies rustled?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:52:52 pm by Siiem »

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
Rise, oh ye dead thread, rise from your ashes.
(click to show/hide)

Though I resisted the urge after consulting you guys a long while ago, I am beginning to consider going for Win 10 once again.

The main reason is that the free upgrade period is about to end and the whole DX12 business sounds appealing. From what I understand, games made for DX12 will be able to utilize all those idle multiple cores far better.

Anybody care to provide some insight about the feasibility? I mean unless DX12 will be offering considerable boost for games, it isn't worth going for it at this time. I might as well stick to Win 7 forever otherwise.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »
Take care... Switching to Win10 from Win7 is a one-way street. You will never be able to use 7 again without feeling handicapped :)

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »
Take care... Switching to Win10 from Win7 is a one-way street. You will never be able to use 7 again without feeling handicapped :)

I am quite sure of that. It will most certainly turn into a habit and I will not want 7 back. Just like how I eventually dropped XP after a long period of stubornness.

I am more interested about DX12 right now though. Is it really going to be a huge step up? Or should I not care so much about it?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2016, 04:23:36 pm »

Able to elaborate at all? What useful features does 10 have that 7 doesn't? So far from my (limited) experience with 10 it seems if anything to be less advanced-user-friendly since it tries to hide all the things you'd want to be able to get to deep inside its menus... heck, even the control panel isn't right there in the start menu anymore.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2016, 04:26:38 pm »
Take care to check whether the software you're using works fine in Win 10. I've had some problems with some Oracle software on my work laptop with Win10... then again if you're a pretty basic user this shouldn't concern you anyway

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2016, 04:35:17 pm »
+1
Able to elaborate at all? What useful features does 10 have that 7 doesn't? So far from my (limited) experience with 10 it seems if anything to be less advanced-user-friendly since it tries to hide all the things you'd want to be able to get to deep inside its menus... heck, even the control panel isn't right there in the start menu anymore.
As an advanced user, i feel it's the exact opposite. 10 has better keyboard shortcuts and a more powerful search. Hitting Winkey+S, typing in the first 3-5 letters of what you want and hitting Enter is way faster than navigating a start menu with your mouse.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2016, 04:39:21 pm »
As an advanced user, i feel it's the exact opposite. 10 has better keyboard shortcuts and a more powerful search. Hitting Winkey+S, typing in the first 3-5 letters of what you want and hitting Enter is way faster than navigating a start menu with your mouse.

Fair enough, thanks. I tend to use the mouse over the keyboard in almost anything for one reason or another, even when I have the keyboard shortcuts memorized. Dunno why, just became a habit I guess and I've yet to try too hard to break it.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2016, 04:45:07 pm »
It took a while to get used to everything being a bit more hidden and the immediate menus being only simplistic ones. But once you know where to look for everything, and set the more immediate things as quick links on the start menu, it's actually quite nice and streamlined.

Like any OS it just takes a bit of playing around.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2016, 05:08:10 pm »
Why 10 if you can have 8.1? 10 is pretty much 8.1 but with additional bad stuff.