Author Topic: The Gem System: Pay to Win?  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Gem System: Pay to Win?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 05:03:29 am »
Miley get a clue you dont know anything about gw2, its obvious by what you wrote. Dont flame me, just learn more about the game.

Get a clue about Guild Wars 1 and where I'm coming from. Also, get a clue and read the rest of my post and see that I said I only played the first beta. You flamed me first, idiot.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 05:38:33 am »
Now that I think of it Miley, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't make a skill system similar to GW1. The numerous skills (140 alone for ranger) makes it hard to balance an MMO. Have you played GW1  lately? It seems they've nerfed all the older builds in some way. And its seems like that's all the balancing that has been done since I quit playing 3-4 years ago. Just a bunch of nerfs or reworking skills. It took me awhile to get over the change for GW2, but now that i think of it, there's still is a lot of potential for varying builds across all classes. All the weapon skills lean toward a certain role in the game as well as the trait trees and utility skills.

Oh and btw, no healing class? Look at an elixir gun/elixir engineer. keep in mind u can throw elixirs to make an aoe effect.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elixir
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elixir_Gun
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:52:17 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:33 am »
You can basically still play the holy trinity. It's not as defined as in GW1 / other MMO's, but for example properly traited Warrior or Guardian with shield is a very very defensive/support playstyle and for example Water Elementalist and Elixir Gun Engi (like Havoco mentioned) produce a lot of heals for their team.

That being said Guild Wars 2 is a very different game compared to Guild Wars, if you can compare then even.

Offline Vieuxcrotter

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »
Get a clue about Guild Wars 1 and where I'm coming from. Also, get a clue and read the rest of my post and see that I said I only played the first beta. You flamed me first, idiot.

I played gw1 for mostly over 5years and all the crap you wrote about gw2 is wrong.
When you mention generic skill bar with button smashing like really? Have you even seen high level competitive pvp ? I think not , so you clearly talking out of your ass.
And then you mention all class and skill are the same across the board like really? Each class are a unique game style , no class are played the same, having someone say that about gw2 class is beyond me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:05:42 pm by Vieuxcrotter »

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:01 pm »
+1
I played gw1 for mostly over 5years and all the crap you wrote about gw2 is wrong.
When you mention generic skill bar with button smashing like really? Have you even seen high level competitive pvp ? I think not , so you clearly talking out of your ass.
And then you mention all class and skill are the same across the board like really? Each class are a unique game style , no class are played the same, having someone say that about gw2 class is beyond me.

To be fair, when you start off in pvp all you do is button smash until you adjust to the chaos and your build. Miley said he only played the first bwe, my first bwe pvp experience consisted of random button smashing and untimed dodges.

It takes a while before you start to make sense of the madness, the large amount of skills being used, and you begin to realize when to dodge, when to use each skill.

Therefore, Miley is right, in a way. He is just speaking from his experiences and even went on to say he enjoys the game and will be playing it.

So shut the fuck up Vieuxcrotter.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Vieuxcrotter

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 01:10:05 am »
Get mad , button smashing will get you wreck in any level of play even in pve. All the shit miley been spewing about gw2 is wrong.

Offline Tyrell

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Tyrell, Prince Aegon, Date_Masamune
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:02:52 am »
NO HEALING CLASS basically.
This is the best fucking part. If you've ever played GW1, or any MMO for that matter, you'd know it was a huge bitch to get into any party unless you were a monk or a warrior.

Glad they chopped the trinity.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

LIBERNATE

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 01:23:05 am »
This is the best fucking part. If you've ever played GW1, or any MMO for that matter, you'd know it was a huge bitch to get into any party unless you were a monk or a warrior.

Glad they chopped the trinity.

I would have to agree here even though Healer was my favorite class in most MMO's.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 09:42:06 am »
+1
Trinity is the most boring concept ever. I'd rather mix my party however I want.

Offline Tyrell

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Tyrell, Prince Aegon, Date_Masamune
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 05:33:16 pm »
I would have to agree here even though Healer was my favorite class in most MMO's.
I did love playing monk in GW1, but I couldn't do shit with my assassin because people were always like "you'll just die."
He had the survivor title.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

LIBERNATE

Offline Skrubb

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Get some
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 10:48:36 pm »

Closest thing to a healer IMO is an elementalist =) think it's very similar

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 02:30:15 am »
I think the trinity system will still exist in a form in gw2; at least for team pvp. Obviously ppl will still want healers and dps and maybe a few support/tanks as well.The main thing that sets the class system apart from other mmos is the variety in each class. They all have a dps spec and healer, support or tank spec as well. It's also pretty easy to combine them it seems.

Edit: oh ya, forgot one thing. It also seems like the environment doesnt make it as necessary for a "trinity group"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:36:23 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:55 pm »
I'm planning a dirty crit spec rifle engi, going to experiment with all the kits and elixir gun too. I will be mixing up my builds often though, one of the most fun parts of mmos for me personally is buildcrafting and seeing what unusual builds I can play and still be viable in pvp.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 08:15:58 pm »
+1
I'm planning a dirty crit spec rifle engi, going to experiment with all the kits and elixir gun too. I will be mixing up my builds often though, one of the most fun parts of mmos for me personally is buildcrafting and seeing what unusual builds I can play and still be viable in pvp.

Yup, I enjoyed that a lot in Guildwars 1 but on a larger scale since they had way more skills.

I ended up making the most beastly 1v1 Ranger build and the only way my friends could beat it was when my one of them made a dervish and made the build specifically to counter me after trying for about an hour. It was pretty funny.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:47 pm »
Closest thing to a healer IMO is an elementalist =) think it's very similar

Not sure, its skills were pretty weak to heal people.