Author Topic: CTF specific maps  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
Re: CTF specific maps
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 03:54:57 am »
As soon as chadz confirms all the new entry points for the new modes (rabbit, dtv, cf, etc) I'll post them here. The 80 man NA battle will probably turn into a ctf, and there'll be a new server playing dtv.
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline Professor

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elton_Yawn
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:32:39 am »
Sounds good. From the clues posted on the earlier page, I'm guessing that spawns are the following:

Team 1: Flag 64, Spawns 0-31
Team 2: Flag 65, Spawns 32-63

That's how I've structured my maps anyway, but can always change it without too much trouble. I will probably work on some more CTF maps, that way the ATS server will have a decent rotation.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:37:29 pm »
Sounds good. From the clues posted on the earlier page, I'm guessing that spawns are the following:

Team 1: Flag 64, Spawns 0-31
Team 2: Flag 65, Spawns 32-63

That's how I've structured my maps anyway, but can always change it without too much trouble. I will probably work on some more CTF maps, that way the ATS server will have a decent rotation.

Your flag spawns are correct but the entry points are not, as far as i know. I thought the same but when I tested one with bots they all spawned at one base. I dont think it goes past the 30's for player spawn points. Not sure yet... doing testings now to try and figure this out...

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 04:42:36 am »
Here are several problems I do not think map makers deal with enough in terms of CTF games

CTF maps need to treat cav with a degree of prejudice. In typical CTF cavalry tend to end up being the only super stars for attacking. So the answer is to add areas near the flag that are either inaccessible to cavalry or inhospitable to them.

Examples are gatehouses, hills, and indoors.

But do not take away their role completely. Give them at least one area where they can patrol and under certain conditions, attack. An example I can give is on my map in the works.

There is a high ground and a low ground.
The low ground and high ground are only connected at two points (one near each flag) these points are guarded by gate houses of which if opened will allow horsemen to nab the flag.
Yet I allow horsemen to take advantage of several 'exit only' spots.
The entire highland is completely off limits to cav so as to preserve the infantry's offensive role in CTF
Lowlands -> Gatehouse -> Flag -> Highlands -> flag -> gatehouse -> Lowlands
setups like this give infantry their rightful place in a gamemode that would otherwise render them a 'defensive class'

The next problem that plagues CTF are ninjas. People who walk around the edge of the map away from the other players and nab the flag then run back the same way. I believe that CTF was meant to be played with more defined pathways to prevent such acts. Be it narrow streets, rough terrain, or high walls, there MUST be definition to the map's terrain.

The last problem I see is positioning of spawns. Flags should always spawn at least half as far away as the walk to the enemy's flag is.
Starting people off at the flag is a great way of encouraging chronic camping. Do not reduce the defensive advantage of a flag's base. If anything increase it. But ensure that newly spawned have to choose between defending and attacking rather than defending for awhile and then suiciding

A single peasant with a knife to confuse the friend or foe identification in a cluster should not be the deciding point in a CTF and neither should a cav on a plated charger with black armor and 4 steel shields win games. If camp off stalemates are to end then infantry must be given a vital role in attack
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:49:56 am by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 12:02:14 am »
FIGURED OUT CTF SPAWN POINTS!!!!!

player spawns are: 0-63

Flag spawns: t1:64 t2:65

I went through forums to find this after testing over and over again. Ive tested with bots, so I dont know if it different when playing cRPG online or not. With the bots it works perfect every time. Just make 0-31 team 1 and 32-63 team 2. You might be able to alter it a little bit but if you dont put alll "entry points" down up to the flag entry points the game randomly generates them and you get a chaos affect.

So now lets get CTF back up and PLAY!!!!

(to my insanity 'Professor' was right the whole time... I dont understand how that can be!)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:03:35 am by Ronan »

Offline Professor

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elton_Yawn
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 05:36:20 am »
I just assumed that it was the same as CTF...

Also, that means my two CTF maps are ready to be uploaded.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 05:39:56 am by Professor »

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 07:36:47 pm »
Good to hear it. I have one ready and one thats a day, maybe two for testing, and then itll be ready to upload. I hope they get the CTF game mode back, and soon!

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 01:28:08 pm »
bump.