Poll

Which are you more excited about/see yourself playing?

Of Kings and Men
28 (24.3%)
Bannerlord
39 (33.9%)
Both, duh.
36 (31.3%)
Neither, dick.
5 (4.3%)
Other...
7 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: June 23, 2016, 07:42:49 pm

Author Topic: Which are you more excited about/see yourself playing?  (Read 10643 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Re: Which are you more excited about/see yourself playing?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2016, 07:24:40 pm »
+4
You'll be able to try it soon, we'll announce the date of a cRPG-wide closed test in a few days.

If you think warband is the best combat system ever you won't like it, period.
If you're open for a combat system that tries to take the best elements from different medieval games, plus adding more fluidity to it than any other game, and are open to test something new, then you will probably dislike it in the first hour (because you try to play it like warband), and then see the beauty of it. That's what happened with most players, even in our dev team.

Offline Nebun

• Duke
  • Renown: 532
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • - BAD BECAUSE RUSSIAN -
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2016, 07:31:38 pm »
+6
from one test they won't probably understand, need to play for a few days to change opinion. I've changed my opinion from medium to very good since first test.
when UIF looks at you
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2016, 07:34:41 pm »
+1
Am I understanding it correctly that there are no actual attack and block keys, just a key to move your weapon around and what happens is just dependant on what and how your weapon collides with?

If that is the case consider me excited, been looking forward to a more "physics" based combat system like that for a long time. If anyone tried Exanima perhaps you could draw a slight comparison to the physics part?

Well, think of it like this. It's like exanima, in that you can move the weapon around freely and it will still act as a blockage.
In exanima, you have to actually swing the mouse to impart energy on the weapon and attack(I think? havent played it for a long time)
Here it's a bit simplified, in that you can either impart energy on the weapon, by releasing left mouse-button, with the purpose of wounding your opponent
Or you can impart energy, in order to parry an attack - with right-mouse button, which will give you an advantage in the follow up attack - or can go horribly wrong if you miss the parry
Or you don't have to impart any energy and simply change positions to block the attacks, without having to constantly click
And as I already said, weapons that were imparted energy for the purpose of attacking can collide with each other, canceling both attacks

So a little bit of Exanima, but some of the freedom has been cut in order for it to look good and be more streamlined and easier to learn.

btw this description is just based on me playing the game, so I might have missed some details that the devs put in, but I think I got it fairly right on the physics part

from one test they won't probably understand, need to play for a few days to change opinion. I've changed my opinion from medium to very good since first test.

I agree. 1 hour of playtime, where you rush around trying to kill each other isn't great at learning the combat and some people might feel(well alot of the really) that the combat is bollocks, but once you have room to experiment with mechanics you realise they are rock-solid and only need a bit of polish to become a diamond
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »
+2
But feinting is at least half of what made warband combat so deep...  :cry:

;-;

You can feint, you just don't need to use RMB for that. You can both feint by just moving around your mouse while holding LMB, and everyone pretty much does that by default, or you can release and press again to feint an attack instead of just a stance direction.

Something noone seem to understand is that when you press and hold down LMB and move your mouse, you are not locked in that direction and can change around your stance by just moving your mouse continuously. If you actually want to lock the direction you either release the attack or hold CTRL (as of now) so it doesn't change whenever you move your mouse.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:44:31 pm by Nordwolf »

Offline Zeus_

• The Best Caboose
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 447
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HoC
  • Game nicks: Zeus
  • IRC nick: Zeus?
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2016, 09:53:44 pm »

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2016, 09:56:57 pm »
lol you guys have 0 faith
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 10:56:15 pm »
+16
Honestly guys, we all come from the same background. Nearly everyone in the dev team was a passionate warband or cRPG player at some point. Nearly everyone understands what a good combat system has to feel like. We iterated over dozens of attempts at combat systems and threw them out the window again because we felt it was not worthy as a sucessor to cRPG combat. Until we arrived at the current system.

We're no morons. Every single person in the office considers it an extremely good combat system. Nearly everyone in the office doubted it in the beginning, because it felt very different, to the point where we were close to discarding it as well. But we saw potential, and continued developing it. And we figured out that this system is easy to learn, feels amazingly fluid, is fast paced, fun and has the potential to be very competitive.

If you want to pass up on that because of FUD, I can't stop you. But the current combat system wasn't a "meh, let's create _something_", it was months and months of iterations, and more polish will go into it. There are some concerns that we have regarding what the gameplay will look like once people play it for hundreds of hours, but we can only address that when we're at that point.

If you didn't play it, your opinion is irrelevant, for obvious reasons. If you played it a bit and dislike it, then we need to think about how to make the transition smoother for people coming into it with a certain bias. If you played it a lot and don't like it, and there's many similar voices like that, then, and only then, there's a genuine reason to assume we failed to make a good combat system.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 11:19:10 pm »
+3
The only way to really answer this threads title question "Which are you more excited about/see yourself playing?" is to have had a chance to try oKaM. We already know what Bannerlords is going to play like.
For me atm Warbands combat IS the best out there, I didn't like Chivalry's or WotR's combat but will see once your game comes out if that still holds true.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2016, 12:01:23 am »
I'm sure I will buy both, but with bannerlords keeping the same combat mechanics and okam using stances I will probably lean more to bannerlord(which hopefully wil have a crpgesque mod hot on its heels).

Well we more than likely won't be getting a C-RPG on Bannerlords if chadz and that are releasing their game, they obviously want people to buy their game over Bannerlords :p

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline McKli_PL

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: South_the_grey, HeDdar_the_grey, Wazonowej_the_grey
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2016, 12:05:26 am »
Every single person in the office considers it an extremely good combat system. Nearly everyone in the office doubted it in the beginning, because it felt very different, to the point where we were close to discarding it as well. But we saw potential, and continued developing it. And we figured out that this system is easy to learn, feels amazingly fluid, is fast paced, fun and has the potential to be very competitive.
kurwa this is so sweet to read :cry: GIEBBBBB BETA TESTS :!: fite mortal KOMBAT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH :D

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2016, 12:05:33 am »
Honestly guys, we all come from the same background. Nearly everyone in the dev team was a passionate warband or cRPG player at some point. Nearly everyone understands what a good combat system has to feel like. We iterated over dozens of attempts at combat systems and threw them out the window again because we felt it was not worthy as a sucessor to cRPG combat. Until we arrived at the current system.

We're no morons. Every single person in the office considers it an extremely good combat system. Nearly everyone in the office doubted it in the beginning, because it felt very different, to the point where we were close to discarding it as well. But we saw potential, and continued developing it. And we figured out that this system is easy to learn, feels amazingly fluid, is fast paced, fun and has the potential to be very competitive.

If you want to pass up on that because of FUD, I can't stop you. But the current combat system wasn't a "meh, let's create _something_", it was months and months of iterations, and more polish will go into it. There are some concerns that we have regarding what the gameplay will look like once people play it for hundreds of hours, but we can only address that when we're at that point.

If you didn't play it, your opinion is irrelevant, for obvious reasons. If you played it a bit and dislike it, then we need to think about how to make the transition smoother for people coming into it with a certain bias. If you played it a lot and don't like it, and there's many similar voices like that, then, and only then, there's a genuine reason to assume we failed to make a good combat system.

And that is the primary reason I'd love to have a trial version of this game released to everyone if you can do something like that, it means we get to try out the game, and figure out whether we like it BEFORE we invest our money into it, before buying games I love the ability to try it out before I buy, and if the option is there, I use it, however sadly now there aren't that many people that do things like this, meaning that I either have to take a dive in and say "Meh fuck it, I'll either like it or I'll have wasted my money".

I'm very curious as to how this new combat system works, I can't say I like the look of it or dislike the look of it, but it intrigues me for sure, all we really need is the chance to try it out and figure out whether we like it. Maybe hand out a test copy with a test server to people to try it out in actual combat and then disable it (This is just speculation, I have no idea how any of this works) when we're done.

Other than that, good luck to you guys with your game, I can't wait to see what else it brings as the game is developed more and more.

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2016, 12:13:09 am »
Well we more than likely won't be getting a C-RPG on Bannerlords if chadz and that are releasing their game, they obviously want people to buy their game over Bannerlords :p
I am going to buy it for sure I owe them that much for putting score, persistant gear and stats in Warband which is why I played it so much.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2016, 12:48:14 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

lol, I'd love to have a trial version of every game, but guess what. That's not gonna happen.

Offline McKli_PL

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: South_the_grey, HeDdar_the_grey, Wazonowej_the_grey
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2016, 12:57:55 am »
+3
lol, I'd love to have a trial version of every game, but guess what. That's not gonna happen.
heh good old times 1992-2000 when games were in demo version  on 1'44 Fdd or expensive magazines on Cd ^^

pogosan

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2016, 01:40:53 am »
+1