Author Topic: Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor - Dezember 12th  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor - Dezember 12th
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 09:19:40 am »
I'm a long time mma fan and try to watch every UFC event, goes without saying i'm very excited about this saturday. Rooting for Conor, but Jose's been undefeated for 10 years for a reason, he's a beast. I love Conor's  personality btw, even though i usually prefer the calm and humble fighters, but after watching some documentaries etc, it's clear that he's just a very honest and outgoing guy that enjoys every moment he lives. Not to mention that it's both his fighting style and charisma that helped generate so much hype for this fight. Aldo is probably pretty happy too, i'm pretty sure this is the most he's ever made throughout his entire career.

P.S. anyone here plays PS4 EA UFC ?
gib UFC game 4 PC!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 09:42:18 am »
Ur not a long time Russian MMA fan if ur not a fan of Fedor Emelianenko. Cyka blyat
Of course I am, although i hate the fact that he's "back" for some crappy Japanese freak show instead of testing himself in the lackluster UFC HW division.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 10:20:13 am »
Fedor was pretty shit technically, he was a competent grappler but his main thing was his heart. It's kind of sad to see him make a comeback, like a burned out clown. Comebacks never go well at his age and only tarnishes the legend of the fighter.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 10:34:26 am »
+3
Fedor was pretty shit technically, he was a competent grappler but his main thing was his heart. It's kind of sad to see him make a comeback, like a burned out clown. Comebacks never go well at his age and only tarnishes the legend of the fighter.
Um, no. He had perfected transitioning from striking to grappling, post-pride he became more of a brawler. His striking does look unorthodox and clumsy compared to your usual boxing/kickboxing, but those looping punches is a sambo technique that has a purpose, it's not just "spray and pray". Check out the undefeated Khabib "I love being injured" Nurmagomedov, who also trained sambo his whole life.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 10:56:18 am »
His striking is unorthodox and clumsy, whether his looping punches are a Sambo technique or not.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 11:27:47 am »
+3
His striking is unorthodox and clumsy, whether his looping punches are a Sambo technique or not.
And yet it works because of that. He wouldn't have been able to beat prime Mirko standing if he was a bad striker, even with the biggest heart.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »
And yet it works because of that. He wouldn't have been able to beat prime Mirko standing if he was a bad striker, even with the biggest heart.
He made his striking work, yes, but no one in their right mind would call him a technical striking genius. It worked because of other factors (like his speed and reflex advantage, the fear of grappling, etc), his stand up was good in spite of his striking skills, not because of them. And Mirko was shit in that fight.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 03:58:20 pm »
...and all that is how man years ago now?
Compare UFC 2 years ago and now and you'll see a huge leap in overall technicality and skill.
This is no old man's game anymore.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 05:46:47 pm »
Yup. A whole new ball game. The current hws are ten times more technical and versatile than in Fedor's prime.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 07:12:54 pm »
Conor is an exceptional fighter but so is Jose Aldo, which means it should be an exciting fight.

Fedor, "The Last Emperor" was magnificent in his time.  His time is past and he really should not try to come back.  He must need money.

Most of his fans are gay bandwagoners. He's good but his fans overrate him plus the owners of UFC are friends with him. Makes u wonder if there's gonna be someone taking a dive or even if the judges will be bribed.

Oh you mean like other Dana White favorites like Ronda Rousey and Page Van Zant?  LOL, I guess Dana's money was no good for those contestants and judges.  Maybe he'll have better luck in this match.  Nice theory.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:25 pm »
Dana has a hard on for McGregor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 08:25:06 pm »
Dana likes fighters that make him a lot of money. Whoddathunkit.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 08:42:41 pm »
He made his striking work, yes, but no one in their right mind would call him a technical striking genius. It worked because of other factors (like his speed and reflex advantage, the fear of grappling, etc), his stand up was good in spite of his striking skills, not because of them. And Mirko was shit in that fight.
(click to show/hide)
It's not technical in terms of regular boxing/kickboxing, but it's a technique nonetheless, and he made it very effective, especially when he mixed it up with clinching and trips/takedowns. How could his stand up be good "instead" of his skills, that makes no sense? 
Look, i love watching good technical boxers as much as anyone, but Fedors success in MMA was largely due to his unorthodox striking, which he used methodically. Later in his career (after Pride), when he decided to go full brawler and give up strength, he still managed to knock several heads off precisely because of his striking. Tim Sylvia got destroyed in seconds (looping hooks again), Arlovski (watch the slowmo-gifs, Fedor slipped most of the punches that people think Arlovski landed), Rogers, Henderson prior to the KO (the stoppage was legit btw).

Again, watch Khabib Nurmagomedov's fights, he's an undefeated lightweight who already beat the current UFC LW champ, he uses a similar approach. It doesn't look as pretty as say Conor or Robbie Lawler, but it works.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »
Technical =/= technique... one technique has nothing to do with whether his stand up is technical or not.

Fedor's success in MMA had almost nothing to do with his unorthodox striking. His grappling and GnP are the biggest contributors to his success.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 09:12:40 pm »
Technical =/= technique... one technique has nothing to do with whether his stand up is technical or not.

Fedor's success in MMA had almost nothing to do with his unorthodox striking. His grappling and GnP are the biggest contributors to his success.
It had everything to do with it, as well as the things you have mentioned in your second sentence.

In any case, 1 day till Aldo vs Conor, first time i'm actually gonna stay awake to watch a fight night live (it's gonna be 6 am in Moscow). I just hope it won't end with something controversial like an eye poke or an injury....
Btw, Rockhold vs Weidman is as much a tossup for me as Conor vs Jose, picking Weidman though. And Jacare imo takes Romero.