Author Topic: [GUIDE] How to Defend against Archers/Xbows and not Become a Statistic  (Read 11341 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
+16
Here is be brief guide for new AND old players on how to not get constantly pin-cushioned by archers (Bow AND Crossbow).  First, the ground rules.  Then the tactics.

GROUND RULES:
1.  Sometimes archers will kill you no matter what you do, so don't be shocked.  This guide will help it happen less.

2.  Of all the tactics you can employ, whining is NOT an effective defense mechanism.  The arrows will still penetrate you.  Complaining in game, on the forums, or lobbying for a ranged nerf will only hurt the game and your own sense of self-worth.  It is not a good long term solution, and it will not make you a better player.  This guide will.

TACTICS

1. Bring a shield.  Even a practice shield will absorb a few arrows and can save you.  A difficulty 1 shield can take even more.

2.  If you can't bring a shield, stick by a teamie with a shield.  (Teamwork!?).  Sometimes you can spam:
[q][f][f] KEEP YOUR FORMATION
and
[q][f][w] SHIELD WALL
When there is cav, you stick by teamies with a pike, right?  When there are archers, stick by teamies with a shield.  Let them go up ladders first.  Let them take the lead when advancing on archer positions.  IT'S THEIR JOB.

3. Use cover (trees, walls, etc). Archers have limited ammo.  Eventually they will run out, but be careful.  Hiding in a building is safe -- hiding behind something like a tree will only work for a little while.  The archers will eventually circle around and get you in a cross fire.

4.  Bring a siege shield and make your own cover.  If you have several teamies do this, you can even build a pillow fort and hide-out!

5.  Practice dodging.  The zig-zag, the double-back, the random dance, the last-second juke, and the "non-dodge!"  Learn them well.

6. Wear heavier armor.  When all else fails, suit up and employ all of the above tactics with redoubled vigor.

7. If the enemy TEAM has way more archers than you, you have 2 choices.  You can turtle up and hide behind cover (works for a while sometimes) or RUSH them.  Closing distance against a ranged-heavy team will help take their advantage away.  If you can coordinate your team using voice commands, you can rush the archer positions, scatter then, and conquer.

8. Can you think of more?

EDIT:  Another tip: don't run in straight lines.  If you are running towards/away from an enemy, curve your approach or zig-zag slightly.  It makes it much harder for an archer to lead you with their shot!

SPECIAL NOTE:
(and secret tactic)

Sometimes you will still get killed by archers.  Even if you use all of the tactics above, you still might still fall victim to the "lucky headshot."  It happens.  Analyze how it happened, and try to do better next round.  This is the last secret tactic to employ: adaptation and self improvement.

Good luck out there!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:25:02 pm by Penitent »

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
Re: [GUIDE] How to Defend against Archers and not Become a Statistic
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:46 pm »
Questions:
Does putting the shield on your back as a 2h/polearmer have any effect on your speed/damage/whathaveyou, or would it be better to drop the shield?

And would there be a difference between a 1skill board shield and 1skill roundshield on the back?

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:04:37 pm »
Questions:
Does putting the shield on your back as a 2h/polearmer have any effect on your speed/damage/whathaveyou, or would it be better to drop the shield?

And would there be a difference between a 1skill board shield and 1skill roundshield on the back?

Having a shield on you rback will not affect your damage or swing speed.  However, it will reduce your run speed because of the weight.  Practice shield weigh 3, so not too much.  Norman Shields weigh 8.5, so that is considerable!
I'd say if you are in a hurry, drop the shield!

When a shield is on your back, it will help protect you from arrows that hit your back.  It reduces the damage you take.  I'm pretty sure it is the armor rating of the shield is added to your body armor when you are hit in the back by a ranged attack.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:11:05 pm »
What strikes me as amazing was that ultimate nerf of archery wasn't reduction of damage, it was removal of ladders.

:D

IMO, archers aren't as much pain in the ass as they use to be.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:31:32 pm »
I have a request. Can you BOLD number three? Just saying... it is one of the most effective ways of stopping arrows from making friendly with your body.

Oh, and one more thing. Avoid using teammates as cover. Most of the time they will zag at the last second and the arrow will poke your eye out. True story.

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:48:27 pm »
SPECIAL NOTE:
(and secret tactic)

Sometimes you will still get killed by archers.  Even if you use all of the tactics above, you still might still fall victim to the "lucky headshot."  It happens.  Analyze how it happened, and try to do your best next round.  This is the last secret tactic to employ: self improvement.

Good luck out there!

Yeah you gotta love the all-the-way-across-the-map-lucky-headshot right at the beginning of a round.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:57:20 am »
+2
After a few dodges, standing still becomes a dodge. The archer will be trying to predict your movement. so standing still of just going straight will occasionaly work. Basically, break up your pattern. And dont jump unless you know you're in range. Jumping randomly is a free hit for the archer when you land (unless you're jumping into cover)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:50:53 pm »
After a few dodges, standing still becomes a dodge. The archer will be trying to predict your movement. so standing still of just going straight will occasionaly work. Basically, break up your pattern. And dont jump unless you know you're in range. Jumping randomly is a free hit for the archer when you land (unless you're jumping into cover)

Yes.

Could also add to that - DO NOT move in predictable ways, but also DO NOT move backwards (if you want to catch the archer)!

Dodging by going backwards (or simply going back by changing the direction of looking and pushing W) gives archer time to run away a bit farther, pick another arrow from quiver, draw a bow and... voila, once again another arrow to dodge!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:52:02 pm by Dravic »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »
Yes.

Could also add to that - DO NOT move in predictable ways, but also DO NOT move backwards (if you want to catch the archer)!

Dodging by going backwards (or simply going back by changing the direction of looking and pushing W) gives archer time to run away a bit farther, pick another arrow from quiver, draw a bow and... voila, once again another arrow to dodge!

That is true, but if the archer is holding ground, or if it is an xbower, quickly running backwards at an angle is very unexpected and they almost always miss.  I've never gotten hit doing this....good points though!

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:12:03 pm »
+1
I also want to add that while backing as a stand alone move is a bad dodge, when an archer has their arrow 'notched' I tend to face away from them and very slightly move away while I do my dancing.  Since speed bonus is based off of your movement in relation with the projectile you take more damage when hit while running forward towards the archer, and therefore less when you are moving away from them. 

Of course you still need to close the gap with the archer, but if i'm going to get hit I want it to be for less damage :)
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline BeastSVK

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights who say NI
  • Game nicks: NobleBeast_Knight_who_say_NI
  • IRC nick: NobleBeast_Knight_who_say_NI
..this is the spirit of non QQ..as X bow sniper giving to this trhead ++1

Offline rebbrown

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RebBrown, RebBrewn, RobBrewn, TimursLameBrother.
I find that turning sidewards as they shoot is also a great way of making 'em miss. You become a way smaller target after all.

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
About time for an anti nerf archery thread. Very useful indeed.

Offline Ad1no

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 284
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Of The Codex
  • Game nicks: The_Sosarian_Knight
  • IRC nick: Sosarian
this thread fails on so many levels

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
this thread fails on so many levels

Which parts aren't working for you?  I'll update things or clarify if my some parts of the guide are inaccurate.