Author Topic: A Polearm for Lactose!  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
Re: A Polearm for Lactose!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 09:01:57 pm »
Okay, I'm bumping this thread back up because i need yu guy's help again

here is the problem, i just suck so bad! been lplying cav too long i guess...

Or is the fact that I'm still lvl 25 and my build is at 18/16? And what build would you advise me?

i'v tried out the warspear and i like it! now I'm wondering, should i stay light armor to better dance around (I'm using haubergeon 39 body armor)?

i like the poleaxe too, but i still suck, it's not as easy as backpedalling and slash....i try feints but i guess you can really see that coming! hold attacks too!

i get my ass raped on duel serv

i tend to notice some 2handers top scoreboards but as far as people like to whine about polearms i dont see them top that much the scoreboards or i just havnt seen a polearm user that outstands the pack! could you throw in some names so i can feel inspired (and preferably poleaxe users). the 2 hander seems the weapon of melee excellence

help me out, i dont want to be another GLA spammer, i expect better of myself

can you help me out?

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 09:14:29 pm »
+1
Duel Dezilagel and watch Polepoop play. Both are outstanding poleaxe users. Important is you don't forget the poleaxe's stab, its one of the animations that seems to catch people of guard the easiest, it's also 31p which is a brutally powerful stab. Sonja can probably teach you some tricks too.

Also try holding attacks and use holding in your feints. Make sure you don't only feint at the very beginning of your swing, you can cancel your attack till halfway the swing. Practice on that, late feints are more effective than early feints.

Don't let your performance in the duel server fool you. Most guys that fight there are way above the skill level of the average joe in battle. I can hardly maintain a K/D of 1 on the duel server during primetime, while I get a solid 2 on battle. I've seen many people state that polearms are better for battle and 2h are better for duel.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 10:54:40 pm »
I'd take the poleaxe for the combination of cost-efficiency, damage, looks and versatility. Or a long bardiche. +Medium /semi-heavy armor.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 01:14:41 am »
I don't know about EU, but if you're ever on NA, check out Beeper, Canary, Serf John (or whatever he goes by these days), and when I'm havin a good day, Your's truly :P. I've MW-ed a War spear 2 or 3 times now, and I stick by my opinion that the War Spear is the best pole arm..... EVAR!

I suggest that above all else, you watch other people's, and practice your own Footwork. Footwork is CRUCIAL in Any melee class, but polearms, generally having the longest reach, means that you need to be able to position yourself so that you are constantly taking advantage of the range of your weapon.

That being said, I highly suggest you also have a decent amount of athletics (I'm a heavy advocate of Agility, and almost never have less than 7 athletics, but to each their own). It's extremely useful being able to back out of your opponents range, and then dash back in to stab them in the face. High athletics allows for control of the pace of battle in most 1 v 1's, as well as facilitates GREATLY your own footwork and positioning.

The last thing that I can think of is capitalizing on the pole arms Pole stun. Being able to turn your character to hit earlier in your swings as well as being able to chain your attacks can literally render your opponent's helpless because, under the effects of constant pole stun, they can't block, move, attack, or do anything but get slapped silly until they're dead.

Oh... Last thing.. YOUR TEAM... Use your team and your range to your advantage. The range of your weapon allows you to support your team as well as do damage without being in harms way yourself. Just wait for a team mate to engage the enemy, and the run up into poke range and stab the hell out of them. (Be wary of your team mate's side swings though). That's it, I think.

-ZyloRage

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 11:03:04 pm »
thx for the replies! what build, should i stick to?

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 01:43:30 pm »
thx for the replies! what build, should i stick to?
21/18 is my build of choice for a 2h, I used 21/18 on a skip the fun polearm too and that worked fine. 18/21, 21/18, 24/15 are all solid builds, its a matter of preference. For me 5 athlethics feels to slow and sluggish, 6 is fine, 7 is good. The difference from fine movement speed to good movement speed is not worth the lower ps, thats why I have 21/18 at lvl 30. 

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 03:21:40 pm »
I don't know if it's already mentioned here, but the Awlpike is also a polearm to consider. If you know how to handle "2-direction polearms" it's a good choice. Also the polestun is nasty on this weapon, you can get in 2 hits before the enemy even knows whats happening. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 04:24:15 pm »
Duel Dezilagel and watch Polepoop play.