Author Topic: Roll triggers nudge cooldown  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
Re: Roll triggers nudge cooldown
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:35 pm »
Still not fixed, fix plox!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 12:55:59 pm »
I like roll as an escape, but I think you should still get punished for a dumb roll. Invicibility frames into a kick/nudge is kinda... I could still be convinced though, I'm just hesitant.

Do you not consider a shield user holding shield-block, jogging up to someone to perform a shield-bash, immediately following their opponents swing to be invincible(from the front) during the encounter?
Point is, there are other ways to achieve the same thing. One is a fighting style all it's own.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 03:39:42 pm »
I think there was a reason for not letting the window start at 0%. I forgot which. Maybe I was just watching athletics at that time and didn't like false starts.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2951
  • Infamy: 188
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 03:51:23 pm »
Do you not consider a shield user holding shield-block, jogging up to someone to perform a shield-bash, immediately following their opponents swing to be invincible(from the front) during the encounter?
Point is, there are other ways to achieve the same thing. One is a fighting style all it's own.

So, because bash is broken rolling should be as well? I'm not using either btw, don't like broken mechanics coded by an amateur (Paul).

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 04:14:31 pm »
+2
Me neither.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 04:53:23 pm »
So, because bash is broken rolling should be as well? I'm not using either btw, don't like broken mechanics coded by an amateur (Paul).

I like to see it as features. And you're probably not using any because you cant use them, or cant find uses for them.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 05:30:21 pm »
Not everyone's a min-maxer who uses anything and everything at their disposal to win at all costs

Oh god, i cant even tell if you are serious anymore, or just trolling. I guess i r8 8/8 anyways.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 190
  • Infamy: 903
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 07:03:03 pm »
I like to see it as features. And you're probably not using any because you cant use them, or cant find uses for them.

That is also correct. Roll works like special from Street Fighter games. Nudge is mapped at V and I can't reliably press that button. People who are playing with WSE2 can remap it. But still, as nice additional mechanic in theory nudge/bash is, on server that just another troll move. Nudge an enemy to make him fall from high place, nudge an enemy to make him fall in death pit, or in deep water. Nudge an enemy to get a free hit (shield bash). Nudge an enemy to knock him back few meters so you can continue to flee (archers love their nudge). It is infuriating move, top Krems qualität.

And we all know how it all started, derived from Rageball mechanics Paul was working on. Technical implementation isn't bad, but Paul didn't see or simply didn't care about consequences such mechanic will have on gameplay.

Maybe if damage from falling was like original devs coded it, just maybe, I would actually appreciate nudge/bash. But in a situation where on average I take tripple damage by falling from 4 meters than I usually take from even strongest foes, must say I utterly hate that mechanic.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 07:11:17 pm »
+1
That is also correct. Roll works like special from Street Fighter games. Nudge is mapped at V and I can't reliably press that button. People who are playing with WSE2 can remap it. But still, as nice additional mechanic in theory nudge/bash is, on server that just another troll move. Nudge an enemy to make him fall from high place, nudge an enemy to make him fall in death pit, or in deep water. Nudge an enemy to get a free hit (shield bash). Nudge an enemy to knock him back few meters so you can continue to flee (archers love their nudge). It is infuriating move, top Krems qualität.

And we all know how it all started, derived from Rageball mechanics Paul was working on. Technical implementation isn't bad, but Paul didn't see or simply didn't care about consequences such mechanic will have on gameplay.

Maybe if damage from falling was like original devs coded it, just maybe, I would actually appreciate nudge/bash. But in a situation where on average I take tripple damage by falling from 4 meters than I usually take from even strongest foes, must say I utterly hate that mechanic.

I dont blame you, even Chase to this day never learned to roll. And while you may see nudging someone off of a wall as a troll move, i just think its clever use of it. Hell its one of its few actual uses. Other would be to open up a target for a teammate. It adds flavor to the combat where you kinda have to analyze your area and consider all the possibilities.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1155
  • Infamy: 2493
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 07:19:38 pm »
Oh come on, nudge is a second favorite troll mechanic. After voice chat spam. Seems like everything that has been added to this mod in last two years was to please Fin and his band of retards.

I'm perfectly satisfied with mechanic provided by Taleworlds, thank you very much. Also roll is completely unnecessary. Knockdown weapons are there for a reason, there is no need for mechanic that will negate their effect. If you think they are too strong, adjust stats accordingly. For cav is even less needed, because cav is invulnerable for few seconds after the fall. Also fubar Warband physics can teleport them out of danger sometimes.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:30:02 pm »
Oh come on, nudge is a second favorite troll mechanic. After voice chat spam. Seems like everything that has been added to this mod in last two years was to please Fin and his band of retards.

I'm perfectly satisfied with mechanic provided by Taleworlds, thank you very much. Also roll is completely unnecessary. Knockdown weapons are there for a reason, there is no need for mechanic that will negate their effect. If you think they are too strong, adjust stats accordingly. For cav is even less needed, because cav is invulnerable for few seconds after the fall. Also fubar Warband physics can teleport them out of danger sometimes.

While nudge can be used for trolling, thats mainly against teammates or by nudge and running, which is pretty rare as a troll method but pretty common as an actual way of escaping danger.

I guess you werent one to vote for the removal of polestagger then, or 2h thrust, or changes in general tbh.

Rolls are amazing, knockdowns are bullshit, and you cant balance them by stats because its a free hit mechanic, reduced damage on weapons would have to make knockdown more reliable as the main source of damage with that weapon. And the best solution to knockdowns is not by removing them but by adding another mechanic that allows you to escape that free hit with some reactions. Polestagger was very similar, but was completely removed instead of staying but with something to counter it, kind of sad but at that time they probably didnt have much of a choice and coding anything similar to a roll, or a regain balance mechanic to stop the stagger would be too hard.

The biggest reason i love rolls though are because of bumps, bumps are unblockable knockdowns that are complete bullshit, it will fuck you up completely when outnumbered with just one hit. Now there is a way out, even if im bumped it doesnt mean im completely dead, allthough they will probably catch me at the position i roll into, its still better than no choice. Cav cant roll when dismounted btw.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1288
  • Infamy: 787
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 07:35:17 pm »
I guess you werent one to vote for the removal of polestagger then, or 2h thrust, or changes in general tbh.

No I wasn't for those changes tbh. Like it matters. This is free mod, things get done/changed if there is someone willing to do them. It's not like you can say: hey it would be awesome to do this.

Don't understand hate on knockdown or why it is banned in duels. Just like I don't understand duels in battle.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 10:43:39 pm »
+1
I do my trolling in the servers, or against people who are genuinely trying to be unpleasant on the forum. I dont count this as either of those occasions.

But you said:

People can avoid using mechanics they dont like if they consider them cheap or broken. It's not the end of the world to lose a duel or multi because you played the way you wanted to play (especially since the grind has lost some appeal, i'm lvl 37 and acknowledge i'll never be lvl 38 so why do i care about mutli?). That's all i meant, just because someone doesnt play a certain way doesnt always mean they cant.

Sure, people decide if they want to use mechanics or not, in my eyes its just limiting yourself, deciding to not learn how to use them. Not only is it fun learning new things in an old mod, but it also improves your game. Min-maxing on the other hand is when you get to the point where you are using meta builds, strongest possible armor (ignoring any sort of fasion). When it starts to come down to the very minimal increases in stats. The people who enjoy this ofcourse will say the same to those who dont, why limit yourself.

Losing a duel because you decided not to use a mechanic, while to some it may not be a big deal, but the reason this game holds up in the long run to me is because im always becoming better and learning new things. Would i lose because i was lacking in one area i would focus on filling that gap. People dont try to win because of the multiplier, they try to win because its satisfying to play well.

Learning how to nail the roll consistently was amazing, because cav has always been such an OP class and fuck it was annoying to get bumped without being able to escape it.