Author Topic: A question concerning siege spawns  (Read 886 times)

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
A question concerning siege spawns
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:25:08 am »
How do they work?
I am mapping in a copy of my native module and I undertstand that 0-31 are defenders and 32-64 are attackers, yet after placing all spawn entry points on a map several defender entrypoints will occasionally spawn attackers, after messing with the spawns for a while I did some searching and found this post from the official forums.

I suppose my question then becomes does crpg use the same 'near friends, away from enemies' spawn code as native or assign spawns based on thier entry point number alone as Vincenzo says? If the former then I'll have to keep rearranging the spawns untill it works correctly or change my map around completely or even scrap it, if the latter then thats a huge relief.
Thanks.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
Re: A question concerning siege spawns
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:39:19 am »
When this happened to me it was a result of attacker and defenders spawns being closer than a minimum distance set by the game
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:59:58 am »
When this happened to me it was a result of attacker and defenders spawns being closer than a minimum distance set by the game

Thanks for confirming what I feared then, my scene is just far too small for there to be enough distance between the spawns.

I've so far managed to increase the size of my map by genning a new map code with about a 50% larger x and y and copy-pasting this new code into scenes.txt. This did hower cause ALL the terrain to be bigger (not just the scene edges) so a small mountain I had in the distance is now gigantic. I used the ground color paint tool with max on all sliders to get the new area of the map (flat black space) to show textures. I plan to flatten everything, group select all my objects in the scene and move them to be more central, then rebuild the terrain underneath the objects untill it looks right. At least I dont have to start again from zero I guess...

Before I start on the tedious raising/lowering/smoothing/texturing I'll play around with the spawn entrypoints and see if it can decide who should be spawning where. I kept the original mapcode safe just incase something goes horribly wrong somewhere along the line.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 06:31:38 am »
Keep your 1-31 entry points near the 0 entry point, and the 33-63 entry points near the 32 entry point. These two are the 'main spawn' areas and the distances are checked against these. Also, try to make your maps have a central spawn point for attackers and one for defenders, usually having 360 degree spawns around a castle doesn't work too well. The spawn code in crpg (which is from native) takes height into consideration (walls for defenders) but this doesn't always fix it.

The spawn points are not split down the middle and it is usually distance that is checked, which means siege maps cannot be too big or too small (well small ones work as long as each side gets their spawn area). I'd suggest taking a look at the native scenes (don't pay attention to the numbers because they are wack) for placement options.
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:41:31 pm »
I can confirm this, also make sure that spawn 32 has enough space around it, as all attackers will start there at round reset.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?