Author Topic: Peasant_Woman's simple and easy guide to making a playable map for cRPG  (Read 27469 times)

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
Re: Peasant_Woman's simple and easy guide to making a playable map for cRPG
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »
+1
Unless you want a river in your map you should just edit the terrain yourself anyway. Much easier and the map will actually look like you want it. Be creative =D
(And by river i really mean river, lakes or the sea can be done by yourself just as good)

Also this sounds like you edit the wrong scenes.txt line. Or you are trying to host your map, which is NEVER the right map. Click 20 or 21 maps (Instead of loading blank 105, load blank 125 or 126) further and you will get the map you edited in case you are hosting a server.
Yeah i wanted to make a compact desert map for siege (Thinking about the last scene from Kingdom of Heaven, Jerusalem with a breached wall.)and making desert in edit works but outer terrain remained the same grassy plains but many thanks to you when i opened blank 124 i found my edited map !
Now let the hours of editing begin ! :) Thanks again.

I'll fill this thread with questions probably, check here daily and help me out please Fips ! :)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 04:16:58 pm »
Anytime, i'm also almost 24/7 on irc, you can poke me there, too.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2014, 02:00:59 am »
Outer terrain is set to plain by default. Since your are technically editing scene 105, open up scenes.txt and search for the following line:
scn_blank_105 blank_105 256 none none 0 0 100 100 -100 0x0000000130000500400649920004406900002920000056d7 0 0 outer_terrain_plain
The bold text is of course the terrain code and will be the code you copied in, not the generic one I listed. At the end of the line, change outer_terrain_plain to either outer_terrain_desert if you want desert hills or outer_terrain_desert_b if you want desert mountains.

I would also suggest keeping a backup copy of the .scn file if you are editing in the cRPG module and not a copy of the cRPG module. Repair and even patches have the potential to overwrite/erase your file and all your hard work!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
First time messing around in the scene editor.  Hopefully, going to give it a real try this weekend.  See if I can put out a battle map.

Quick questions, how can I place water for a river/creek?  Is the only way to get water is to lower terrain to the water level?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:35:46 am by Mallets »

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
First time messing around in the scene editor.  Hopefully, going to give it a real try this weekend.  See if I can put out a battle map.

Quick questions, how can I place water for a river/creek?  Is the only way to get water is to lower terrain to the water level?

To, or below the water level, yes.

Alternatively, if you have edit mode enabled when you start up Native (or a copy of Native), when you go out into the fields, you will have a button in the lower left of your screen that says TERRAIN. This is a terrain generator. You can get a terrain code based on the settings you put in. This has an option for river, deep water, and you can change the river code for different shapes for the river. This option will actually give you "flowing" water as opposed to standing water like a lake.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Alternatively, if you have edit mode enabled when you start up Native (or a copy of Native), when you go out into the fields, you will have a button in the lower left of your screen that says TERRAIN. This is a terrain generator. You can get a terrain code based on the settings you put in. This has an option for river, deep water, and you can change the river code for different shapes for the river. This option will actually give you "flowing" water as opposed to standing water like a lake.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I saw the river code.  Messed with it a bit.  Need a river going right through the center.  From one edges center, to another edges center.  Saw tons of codes where rivers are going from corner to corner.  But I need center to center.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I saw the river code.  Messed with it a bit.  Need a river going right through the center.  From one edges center, to another edges center.  Saw tons of codes where rivers are going from corner to corner.  But I need center to center.

Yeah, the downside is it's usually random.  Sometimes you get something that looks awesome, and sometimes that awesome terrain is actually playable. =P But there are extremely few combinations that have a river going through the center, so you are probably better off making it yourself.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:33 am »
+1
This guide is great! why haven't I seen it.. Sticky pls :)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2014, 11:07:36 am »
+1
lol
Thomek this thread is like stickied almost since 2012..
look here now: http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/map-making-and-siege-beta-guide-submitting-and-maintaining-maps/

There was another thread linking to peasent_woman, right before siege beta was started..  :)

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2014, 10:57:10 am »
+3
Updated to include the siege beta/conquest additions, reformatted and removed outdated/redundant information.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
*cough*

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I tried and got stopped right at the beginning. When I go into Scene Editor, I get a bunch of script errors and everything looks out of place. When I load the blank map, there's already a castle there for no reason, as well as trees too high above the ground. On second try, the castle was gone but the trees remained above the ground. On third try, the trees were in their right place. I tried launching it with and without WSE2, but neither helps.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
I tried and got stopped right at the beginning. When I go into Scene Editor, I get a bunch of script errors and everything looks out of place. When I load the blank map, there's already a castle there for no reason, as well as trees too high above the ground. On second try, the castle was gone but the trees remained above the ground. On third try, the trees were in their right place. I tried launching it with and without WSE2, but neither helps.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

You need to make a separate folder. Copy cRPG and rename it cRPG Workshop. Next start the cRPG launcher and click Play Warband, not Play cRPG, then choose the mod cRPG Workshop. Make sure you have edit mode enabled. You need to make your own scene code in native and make sure you turn the vegetation slider all the way down. I usually just stick to editing the blank_100 and beyond to avoid problems. I've never tried to edit an existing blank scene, since I always make my own terrain code from native and then implement it into the cRPG Workshop.

Above all don't edit random_steppe, random_plain, etc. Just don't do it.  Also when you look for your map there is a weird problem. If you can't find it you may have to look 20 or 21 maps ahead. Like blank_100, would need to be found and selected in the game as blank_120 or 121.  :?

I'm not sure if you followed the guide all the way, don't skip anything.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:26:53 am by Jarold »

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I do everything like in the instructions, it's still bugged. Might have to do something with cRPG's overall instability and bugginess.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
I honestly don't know, i'll just have to start it up myself and see what happens.