Author Topic: CRPG Running Poorly on a High End Machine  (Read 7499 times)

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mersenaamat
Re: CRPG Running Poorly on a High End Machine
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 04:27:55 pm »
Well, it turns out all I had to do was deselect application control from my catalyst control center. The game is running at max settings with an average of 120-130 fps.

I suspect the application's settings were becoming somewhat erroneous due to their age in comparison with my video card's.

Thanks for all the help, and all the timely responses.

A+ team, and I hope this helps someone in the future with any such related performance issues.

Nice! I deslected application control in cc too and it seems to have fixed my fps problem. I need to test more but my random fps drops have stopped.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 05:22:21 pm »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ehh what sould i do now? :( How can i detect what is the problem?

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 06:14:07 pm »
pretty stupid and ignorant thing to do.  guess you like your computer being infected 24/7

You'd like to know that this "ignorant" has never had his computer "infected" by having no Windows updates and free Avast!. Maybe I should become "smart" or "cultivated" (I don't know which you are) and start visiting all sorts of websites, even if they look suspicious.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 06:18:59 pm »
+1
Yes, because updates are there to make your shit run worse.

/facepalm

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:01 pm »
Not to worry about yet. Some motherboards will show this when you are in idle mode(not doing anything).

Run DPC latency checker along with this(run ORTHOS.exe and click START:

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/orthos_exe_20060420.cab

If it goes to green, you are ok.

beleve it or not i get red ones when i am at crpg site,when i run bouth of programs they are ok. Everything is green.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:24 pm »
You'd like to know that this "ignorant" has never had his computer "infected" by having no Windows updates and free Avast!. Maybe I should become "smart" or "cultivated" (I don't know which you are) and start visiting all sorts of websites, even if they look suspicious.

Security updates mainly.  There are plenty of studies about how unpatched older systems can be infected within minutes of being on the internet, due to GAPING security exploits/flaws that are easily solved in patches over the years.

So even if you have a security program like norton/security essentials, not doing windows updates is like leaving the windows open to your house but locking your doors.  So have fun getting a rootkit that avast cant do anything about since you were too ignorant to update your system.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 06:46:17 pm »
Alright. I tried to be nice... Ignorant your mother!

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:19 pm »
EDIT:

Christ I didn't realise there were so many replies while I was typing. Not even while I was typing, didn't notice the entire of the second page >.>

Makes this rather redundent.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:55:15 pm by Tennenoth »

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolves_Delusianne, Delu, Delusianne, Crux
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 07:36:50 pm »
+1
Question for the devs (especially cmpxchg8b I believe);

the way Taleworlds is progressing on Warband (hiring third parties to develope extensions/ addons which then maintain the engine and handle updates/ patches) brought us along with Napoleonic Wars a long time not seen high of activity on warband tech wise due to the fact that Napoleonic Wars unlike With Fire and Sword luckily was not planned as stand alone version (which as seen on the latter would have been terrible for us Warband players, WF&S has not yet received any updates from the NW technical advances and is in no way a priority and might never get a backport or an update at all because the effort to maintain it as path on it's own is higher).

The current dev(s) are even that "open" to release hotfix test builds (several builds were issued the last few days, I looked at 4 of them) of the main executable of warband just to see if ppl with lag/ performance issues gain any advantages of teh different things they try (one of em eg. simply incerased the vertex buffer to test if it would help any) which we never had before and when crpg is finally using the new warband build, performance will be much better for many ppl due to that effort.

From comments and inseights of the dev circle on the taleworlds forum I gathered they are pretty much open to requests on the engine/ game for future patches (for the time being they are in charge and payed of course) and I think this is a big opportunity for ppl with the knowledge of say cmpxchg8b to get their input heard and affect the future of Warband.

They pretty much made it clear that founded requests and or suggestions (such as the the ones really only a dev with the needed inseights could make) will be taken into account and if possible used to optimize/ implement into the engine/ game.

[this seems to be the guy in charge/ open to requests at the moment: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=57851]

So this makes me wonder, are the crpg devs or cmpxchg8b using this opportunity (like some other mod makers) to get their changes/ fixes related to the engine and game to the current warband maintainers as long as it is still possible?

If not please consider it and see this post as an encouragement.

As I see it the chances are much better now than ever before as we have open minded enthusiastic ppl in reach who actually communicate with the user and modder/ dev base for a better Warband.

thx in advance

[please note I realize frequent updates, while technically nice are not fun for mod makers as they have to adapt to changes out of the blue, which as far as I know is why cmpxchg8b held back building on the new base and instead implemented the workaround to use the old warband exe till things are stable; but this post is about the common good of Warband and with the workaround still could keep a "last known" stable build as buffer of sorts till things are tested/ adapted in the future]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:25:09 pm by Delusianne »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 08:04:57 pm »
+1
We know of that, yes, I even helped beta test and fix several crashes in 1.15x.
As for suggesting new stuff, we can't really think of any minor feature that we'd like to get in the engine; most of the things we need we can already implement using WSE. Major overhauls are out of the question anyway.

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 08:14:49 pm »
Thx for your answer and the continued effort on crpg, and Warband itself!

Couldn't WSE enhancements get integrated, say some of the engine fixes or enhancements you mentioned or the stuff needed to run rageball and as a result would put less strain/ pressure on you adapting to patch changes?

A question maybe for the current maintainers could also be why Valves's VAC seems to be supported by Warband but not really used and what might be needed to make use of it!? (might be of good value against cheaters?)

Maybe some enhancements on destruction, physics, netcode (even tho the newest patch mentions "http" not sure if they meant the whole netcode component) or character hit zones?

Another minor feature request would be FXAA I believe (usually 3 presets are the best way, see BF3) as it would also work around performance and visual issues ppl encouter with traditional forms of AA and would make it easier for ppl not having to use dll injectors or ppl not having Nvidia hardware (which now has driver based optional FXAA).

I'm not a dev so I hope you will bear with me if this sounds totally unrealistic or out of the question but sometimes maybe even a non-devs perspective can bring up some useful ideas.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:25:27 pm by Delusianne »

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 08:27:36 pm »
+1
So this makes me wonder, are the crpg devs or cmpxchg8b using this opportunity (like some other mod makers) to get their changes/ fixes related to the engine and game to the current warband maintainers as long as it is still possible?

If not please consider it and see this post as an encouragement.

As I see it the chances are much better now than ever before as we have open minded enthusiastic ppl in reach who actually communicate with the user and modder/ dev base for a better Warband.

thx in advance

[please note I realize frequent updates, while technically nice are not fun for mod makers as they have to adpat changes out of the blue, which as far as I know is why cmpxchg8b held back building on the new base and instead implemented the workaround to use the old warband exe till things are stable; but this post is about the common good of Warband and with the workaround still could keep a "last known" stable build as buffer of sorts till things are tested/ adapted in the future]
The most bug reports comes form us modders.
Simply we can fix serveral bugs with the module system of warband by us self, so we can report the way we fixed them
and this makes it much more easier for the developers to find and fix the bugs.
What modders cant change with the module system is hardcoded and engine related stuff, so this is mostly the job of the developers :wink:
As far as I know there are only 1 or 2 developers who are working on the patches.

The main reason why we mod makers dont port our mods to the newer versions is waiting for a newer (final) patch and/or the incompatibillity to WSE
(many mods need this to work correctly). And cmp waits also for a "final" patch to port WSE to the new version. :wink:

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 08:33:21 pm »
+1
Thx for your answer and the continued effort on crpg, and Warband itself!

Couldn't WSE enhancements get integrated, say some of the engine fixes or enhancements you mentioned or the stuff needed to run rageball and as a result would put less strain/ pressure on you adapting to patch changes?

Some of the WSE operations already made their way into 1.15x, but unless all of them get in (effectively allowing us to stop using WSE), it doesn't really affect porting time that much.

A question maybe for the current maintainers could also be why Valves's VAC seems to be supported by Warband but not really used and what might be needed to make use of it!? (might be of good value against cheaters?)

Warband's VAC is completely useless, it can work properly only on VAC servers, which non-Steam clients can't connect. I don't even understand why they wasted time implementing that, no sane server admin would host a server that cuts out half the Warband community.

Maybe some enhancements on destruction, netcode (even tho the newest patch mentions "http" not sure if they meant the whole netcode component) or character hit zones? I'm not a dev so I hope you will bear with me if this sounds totally unrealistic or out of the question.

Another minor feature request would be FXAA I believe (usually 3 presets are the best way, see BF3) as it would also work around performance and visual issues ppl encouter with traditional forms of AA and would make it easier for ppl not having to use dll injectors or ppl not having Nvidia hardware (which now has driver based optional FXAA).

I would love to have destruction improvements or native FXAA support, but those things require extensive changes to the engine. All the major features they added were needed by the DLC, while most of the feature request they accepted are a couple of lines of code here and there, and I doubt they'll do much more than that. I can't even blame them, major changes to the engine require extensive testing, and it's pretty obvious that they have no testing infrastructure at all.

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:31 pm »
+1

ehh what sould i do now? :( How can i detect what is the problem?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Please post your complete (!!) system specs, LatencyMon - (makes it easier to identify "troublemakers")
and msinfo32.exe screenshots and we may be able to pintpoint issues.

Example of the mess you can find at times:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:22:28 am by Delusianne »

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »
Some of the WSE operations already made their way into 1.15x, but unless all of them get in (effectively allowing us to stop using WSE), it doesn't really affect porting time that much.

Great to hear some got in already. So does it seem realistic to you that all of them could be integrated or are some of them considered to be too major changes? Well anyway good porting time isn't that much affected now.

Warband's VAC is completely useless, it can work properly only on VAC servers, which non-Steam clients can't connect. I don't even understand why they wasted time implementing that, no sane server admin would host a server that cuts out half the Warband community.

Oh that is quite the KO criteria indeed, maybe they had planned to go Steam all the way at one point but later changed that,.. who knows.

I would love to have destruction improvements or native FXAA support, but those things require extensive changes to the engine. All the major features they added were needed by the DLC, while most of the feature request they accepted are a couple of lines of code here and there, and I doubt they'll do much more than that. I can't even blame them, major changes to the engine require extensive testing, and it's pretty obvious that they have no testing infrastructure at all.

Yeah it's a shame they only have a few ppl (2?) on it (for a short timeframe too I guess) but it's great to know you guys keep at it and influence Updates, communicate ideas with each other as much as possible. Seems the way Taleworlds sets up these independent devs really only the user/ player/ mod base can beta test which of course is not desirable but maybe still better compared to no advances at all even though it comes with that painfull process attached.

Destruction improvements and native FXAA support really would be awesome but it's understandable that it's too much given the limited available resources I guess. Thought FXAA might be easier to integrate now with the shader files freely editable and all but again I'm not a dev so this was just a guess.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:22:20 pm by Delusianne »