Author Topic: How to not get raped in Medieval 2!  (Read 34243 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: How to not get raped in Medieval 2!
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 02:26:07 pm »
o.O

Good luck with the buying-up strategy though, I wonder if it's going to work :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:31:13 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
I guess the AI is only limited by recruitment costs, not by wages. Sure, both the Papal and the Crusader States are notoriously bankrupt, but whenever I give them money they don't pay the troops they have, they spend it for new ones  :mrgreen:

And even after buying all the land they conquered for me to win the campaign: if I need to fight them, it's not problem. The ultimative solution are English Longbowmen. Deadly against infantry and archers, and if the enemy has too much cav you simply use your stakes. A true allrounder. They even deal with General's Bodyguard units easily.

Edit: it works. The big nations are notoriously bankrupt, and the more regions a faction has, the more easily it gives them away. Usually you can buy a region for about 10k. Especially if buy all regions at once, each of them is calculated as the first of 50 fiefs to be sold, which drastically reduces the price. 50 regions per 10k = 500k. Still half a million left to crush them afterwards.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2012, 02:46:57 pm »
Wait, turn number 91 and you have 900k cash all while creating two superpowers through financial support? Seems I've got something to learn after all.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »
Wait, turn number 91 and you have 900k cash all while creating two superpowers through financial support? Seems I've got something to learn after all.

It's not much. You earn about 12 to 14k a round, giving away everything above 10k to the AI.

But this only works in England, because it's easily defendable. You almost don't need any garrisons and a small army of archers and cheapest spearmen is enough for defense. Then you start developing your fiefs by first raising building which benefit population (e.g. all the different agricultural techniques) and then raising buildings to increase public order, like churches. Afterwards you start building all the trade stuff like markets and shipwrights. With a small army money is no problem at all.

Even now I only have one single army, which consists of 7 units Norman Serjeants/Fyrd Spearmen (armoured spearmen), 8 units Longbowmen, 3 units Miles (Norman Knights), 1 unit light cavalry and a general. That's all. (Accompanied by an assassin and a spy, for all cases) In the fiefs I have two units spear militia with no upkeep to pay.

That army busts everything. I had 3 battles against almost full stacks of enemies, and still almost no losses due to the longbowmen. No wonder the whole army is that experienced. I use the knights almost exclusively to ride down fleeing enemies and sometimes to attack enemy siege machines, the only thing which can cause major casualties with my "Spearman & stakes fortress + longbowmen shooting out of it"-tactic.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2012, 03:40:16 pm »
Nerf archers.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:00:32 pm by Christo »

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »
I do all of that, always have a very minimal army. I just start with building roads and markets and then agricultural buildings, maybe the other way around is more efficient.

Don't get me wrong I always end up with more money than I can use eventually, but at a slower rate.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
I do all of that, always have a very minimal army. I just start with building roads and markets and then agricultural buildings, maybe the other way around is more efficient.

Don't get me wrong I always end up with more money than I can use eventually, but at a slower rate.

Trade and population growth influence each other, of course. But the faster your city develops, the better the buildings are you can build, and the more money you earn. And in my experience, though I have no detailed information, it's just what I perceived, population growth influences trade more than trade influences population growth. That's the reason I always try to get the big cities, and THEN develop economy. Because each citizen has to pay his taxes, so population equals income.

I should mention I own only 1 castle and 7 cities. And usually, when I own more regions, the ratio is even more shifted towards cities. You only need 1 or two castles to conquer the entire map. Citites do the rest.

With the Italian factions and their strong militias (Pavise Crossbowmen, Pike Militia, Cavalry Militia) you don't even need castles at all! Just use them like I do with the English: place a protection screen of pikemen (preferably 2 units placed at the same spot - that's impenetrable for infantry or cavalry) and place your crossbows behind them. Carnage guaranteed. Take one of those cheap cavalry militias with you, so you can ride down the survivors.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2012, 11:25:10 pm »
try bgr

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2012, 06:03:20 am »
I think this is much worse Joker.
cba to find the post with other shit over on TWC. Names Ferdiad if you want to look.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2012, 06:46:04 am »
God damn Byzantines.  :mrgreen:

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2012, 12:19:54 pm »
The iron curtain was 6 centuries early.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2012, 02:42:18 pm »
I'd die for a sci-fi total war with space battles and ground battles where every planet has a few regions(for example continents) which you have to conquer with your land armies..

Closest game => Galactic Civilizations II : Endless Universe (both space and ground battles but none that you command directly, with "squares" on planets where you fit your buildings)

Or reinnaisance starting from late medieval to 1700 or so if they want to be lazy and reskin another total war.

Closest game = > Europa Universalis III : Complete (much more macro than total war and no direct battle)

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »
how the hell you managed to get some countries so big? best i managed to do is to get milan barely half of europe.
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2012, 04:01:25 pm »
0 Turns+Romans=Rape

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2012, 11:39:21 pm »
Closest game => Galactic Civilizations II : Endless Universe (both space and ground battles but none that you command directly, with "squares" on planets where you fit your buildings)

Closest game = > Europa Universalis III : Complete (much more macro than total war and no direct battle)

I know the closest games. I just want the actual games. I've played GalCiv too much, so I'm playing Endless Space atm, instead.