Author Topic: Horses are immune to running into scenery  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Horses are immune to running into scenery
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:26:20 am »
+17
I think I've already talked about this on IRC at some point. Basically, make it so that horses take damage (a lot of it, probably one hit kill) when they run full speed into walls, trees, boulders, etc...chadz said that one of the things he wanted to do with cav is make it less of a "go kart", I think this would be a good way of making cav navigation a lot harder. Right now you can recklessly handle your horse, couching a guy next to a wall if he's alone, galloping right at the wall, if you get him worse case scenario is a rear and you're vulnerable for a few seconds. Fail jump over a fence? No problem, just circle and try again. Did you accidentally run into a tree while running away from a horse archer, inf, other cav, whatever? It's all good, your horse has vanquished physics and considers inertia his plaything, he will go from full out gallop to rearing in the space of a few centimeters.

edit: Exception to this should be when running into other cav. Rearing should stay in that one case.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:30:57 am by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: Horses are immune to running into scenery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:31:31 am »
I believe this subject on horses was discussed a lot in the old forums as well.

In any case, I'd also like to see this change.

Cavalry would have potential for a better reputation if it was incredibly hard to play the class. And the more difficult it is, the more rewarding it is. That's how I would see it anyway.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 12:42:20 am »
i agree... crashing against a wall or similar should trigger some effect damage like when your horse suffer from a too high jump.

but for the sake of balance, if this thing will be implemented, horses should have the old acceleration back plus a notch to handling.

also invisible walls on some maps should be fixed to avoid stupid horse crashes against bugs.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:11:26 am »
+2
As much as i like to troll this forum i'll have to toss out a counterpoint here.

There is almost no way to force a horse to run headfirst into a wall, no matter how much pressure you put on the reins. Horses are not brain dead, thus no horse would logically run into a wall and take damage. If you're pushing for realism you should push to make horses have a "will meter" of sorts in which if you push them to do something suicidal they will ignore your commands momentarily until they can get themselves out of the suicidal position.

Situations would include:

1. Jumping off a cliff
2. Running full speed into a wall
3. Improperly attempting a jump.

etc.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:47 am »
If you're pushing for realism you should push to make horses have a "will meter" of sorts in which if you push them to do something suicidal they will ignore your commands momentarily until they can get themselves out of the suicidal position.
Weren't warhorse blinded to avoid this kind of problems ? And i guess it would be really hard to implement.

But i support both suggestion

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:38 am »
This would be great.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:42 am »
How about you get just dehorsed when you hit lets say tree? I do not think that horse would be stupid enough to bash head against tree and should survive this, but got some dmg or something? Would be cool to see horsemen fly off his horse while stopped on fence or sumtin :mrgreen:

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:51:47 am »
Weren't warhorse blinded to avoid this kind of problems ? And i guess it would be really hard to implement.

But i support both suggestion

Blinders don't stop horses from seeing in front of them, just to the sides (i thought).

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06:21 pm »
I think I've already talked about this on IRC at some point. Basically, make it so that horses take damage (a lot of it, probably one hit kill) when they run full speed into walls, trees, boulders, etc...chadz said that one of the things he wanted to do with cav is make it less of a "go kart", I think this would be a good way of making cav navigation a lot harder. Right now you can recklessly handle your horse, couching a guy next to a wall if he's alone, galloping right at the wall, if you get him worse case scenario is a rear and you're vulnerable for a few seconds. Fail jump over a fence? No problem, just circle and try again. Did you accidentally run into a tree while running away from a horse archer, inf, other cav, whatever? It's all good, your horse has vanquished physics and considers inertia his plaything, he will go from full out gallop to rearing in the space of a few centimeters.

edit: Exception to this should be when running into other cav. Rearing should stay in that one case.

only if all horse bump = 1 hit kill pls
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 12:59:24 pm »
+1
an old thread discussed following idea:

horses having a certain amount of independent movement,  which decreases with the skill the rider has above minimum requirement.

when just standing there,  the horse moves a bit to the side and what not,  also giving some sort of noise preferably

obstacle size increases unwillingness of horse to move into them (1man,  group of men,  fences,  walls etc)

even when going in a straight line, they sway to one side or the other and all sorts of crap.

this would make for an awesome experience for sure and also go hand in hand with your suggestion
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »
just dont include too much randomness plz

and if that, add what wookie says

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 05:09:07 pm »
I fully agree on that one.

What I suggested alot of times is, that horses take a small amount of damage when bumping into people, based on horse's armour and speed or something.
A horse like the courser should actually die after 1 or 2 bumps when it's coming with full speed into a heavy plated guy :/

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »
I fully agree on that one.

What I suggested alot of times is, that horses take a small amount of damage when bumping into people, based on horse's armour and speed or something.
A horse like the courser should actually die after 1 or 2 bumps when it's coming with full speed into a heavy plated guy :/

Yeah kill a courser with 2 bumps against an enemy, nice balance suggestion

heh

if you're some full plated 2 hander or polearm and you can't fight a simple horse you deserve to die (in game of course, not IRL..)  the counter to cav is awareness, good weapon selection and skill not insert coin exit magic counter to all or idiotic nerf ideas like the bump the rider when bumping anyone or killing your horse with charge damage.   baddies, really thats the problem.  as a 2 hander i was killed 3-4 times by cav and killed at least 100 single handedly, out lancing them with a mw german or ganking them.  cav dominance is purely based on other cav being bad and failing at fighting cav, and infantry being even worse.  nerf the nerf cav threads
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:18:11 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »
Yes! oh god YES! i have been wanting this for ages, if it is implemented i will be happier than ever! :D And cav getting more difficult= chances of me making cav alt increasing.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 12:31:31 pm »
+2

I'm ok with that if everybody actually gets inertia, horses and men alike.

I'm sick of people going left then jumping 3 meters to the right with no delay, insta-180° turns etc.