Author Topic: Split NA players from EU players.  (Read 13936 times)

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
Split NA players from EU players.
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:10:50 am »
+3
So, where is the fun in playing at impossible hours, with impossible pings? It isn't pretty, that's why in most games Americans plays in their servers while Europeans plays in Eu servers.

But i know, this is just a a free mod and the devs and admins probably don't want to take care of two strategus. If my guess is right, i suggest another solution like making two continents, with one playing battles on Na servers so the americans will be more happy to settle there, and an European continent where the battles are going on Eu servers.

This way you will have to take care of only one strategus, we will still all play togheter but a war between NA and Eu will be less likely. All will be happier to not play with 200 ping at 6 am, everybody wins.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
Re: Split NA players from EU players.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:12:34 am »
So, where is the fun in playing at impossible hours, with impossible pings? It isn't pretty, that's why in most games Americans plays in their servers while Europeans plays in Eu servers.

But i know, this is just a a free mod and the devs and admins probably don't want to take care of two strategus. If my guess is right, i suggest another solution like making two continents, with one playing battles on Na servers so the americans will be more happy to settle there, and an European continent where the battles are going on Eu servers.

This way you will have to take care of only one strategus, we will still all play togheter but a war between NA and Eu will be less likely. All will be happier to not play with 200 ping at 6 am, everybody wins.

But then Acre would have to split   :cry:

I like the idea, but then again I don't. I think that if they make strategus more diplomacy and small battles and less super wars, everything would work out fine.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:10 am »
But then Acre would have to split   :cry:

I like the idea, but then again I don't. I think that if they make strategus more diplomacy and small battles and less super wars, everything would work out fine.
Well there will be always huge wars this is a game based on war anyway, so sooner or later we will have to do battles in servers in wich we wouldn't never play, on impossible hours too.
Multinational clans will have an advantage anyway, for example you acres could enstabilish a powerbase on both continents while europeans only clans will settle easy just on one continent.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:49 am »
Do what an lljk member seleected, make 2 complete continents, one NA one EU
Just a soldier

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:28 am »
we'd have to split too
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:31:47 am »
Good diplomacy should mean that you can provide coverage at all times of the day.
Turtles

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 01:42:00 pm »
Good diplomacy should mean that you can provide coverage at all times of the day.
I saw how well those agreements works in pratice. Na players that doesn't really care about their European contractors fighting really bad (and probably quitting mid game) .
And Eu players doing the same for their Na contractors ofc. Na players fighting on Eu servers and Eu players fighting on Na servers, teamkilling and spamming blindly.

Example:an european clan attacks a Na fief so the battle will be on an NA server. The Na have to recruit 60 NA players for fighting a battle at 5pm european Time wich means let's say 10am NA time. European clan have to recruit NA players too ofc....
Are you sure the best diplomacy will be able to get 120 Na players to show at that time? No, there will be 120 Europeans fighting with 200+ pings on an American servers. Really Funny!
That's just mental, and i didn't see it in any action game.

Battles between NA and Eu clans were always the worse, because or peoples who didn't give a damn fighted them, or people with really high pings at awful hours fighted them.

Nah, Eu and Na players just can't play togheter.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:58:06 pm by Sharky »

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:05:45 pm »
+2
just to drop in my usual smartass note: bad ping does only affect the one who has it - so he has a disadvantage, will see things after they happened and have turte-like reflexes -  and becomes an easier target.

The myth that all others have to suffer and "lag"  because of the highpingers is still alive, but does not get more true over time.

If the server feels laggy, it is a problem of

- the server (too weak, too many players, other stuff in the background causing trouble)
- the server's internet connection (our servers seem NOT to be hosted in a datacenter....)
- your internet connection
- your computer

One of those or a combination.

There is no disadvantage for other players on the server, if some people have high ping, except the highpingers will most likely suck and maybe cause a little more friendly fire because they have to compensate for the timeshift.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 02:16:06 pm »
From the viewpoint of an EU player, I support it 100%. I can see a few reasons why it might not be done, though, the work involved in making the split happen notwithstanding. Main question is whether the NA community for cRPG big and diverse enough to properly support their own game.

Still, to be perfectly honest, whatever issues it might lead to, I think it'd be worth it. Having the two on the same map really adds absolutely nothing but negative effects, at least for the EU side.
Don't.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »
I try to lobby chadz, as it is absolutly no fun playing on foreign servers. And I think anyone who (really) played strategus knows, a war between a big EU and NA faction is unlikely to happen because it's just frustrating, making 1/3 of the current map "unused".
People that are concerned that the community will be split, well, it already is, I know nearly nothing about the NA playerbase, and you can't tell me you participate much on the other side of the pond (tournaments for example, clan battles and such).

My current idea would be:
2 calradias, players can chose on which they spawn, and freely travel between them with ships.
EU continent forces EU server and has EU-nighttime(no battles, less speed on the map), NA continent the NA server and NA-nighttime. If you are a masochistic one, you are free to play on the other continent, but you won't be able to force your server on them.

If you have a mixed clan, you either take coastal regions on both continents, or a part of your playerbase has to suck it up and always play on foreign server. Not that different from the current situation, if you currently have 50% NA and 50% EU players, 50% of your players always fight on the wrong server anyways.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »
I don't really see the point of that kind of system, but I wouldn't really care either way as long as the NA continent is smaller than the EU one, proportional to player base. It's only fair. :P
Don't.

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 03:05:58 pm »
just to drop in my usual smartass note: bad ping does only affect the one who has it - so he has a disadvantage, will see things after they happened and have turte-like reflexes -  and becomes an easier target.

The myth that all others have to suffer and "lag"  because of the highpingers is still alive, but does not get more true over time.

If the server feels laggy, it is a problem of

- the server (too weak, too many players, other stuff in the background causing trouble)
- the server's internet connection (our servers seem NOT to be hosted in a datacenter....)
- your internet connection
- your computer

One of those or a combination.

There is no disadvantage for other players on the server, if some people have high ping, except the highpingers will most likely suck and maybe cause a little more friendly fire because they have to compensate for the timeshift.
I know that for who has good ping is a dream slaughtering people with high ping is easy and doesn't cause any issue to them.
In mine example i pointed out that on strategus it was possible to have an entire NA server full of europeans, so the entire server population played with bad ping.
It happened a lot of times to have a majority of NA players on european servers and viceversa, thing that would be impossible to imagine on regular crpg server (or any other action game)

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:58 pm »
If you make 2 continents you also could do 3.

2 smaller continents - only EU and only US
1 bigger - EU and US

Another Solution would be Timezones for continents.

Continent one 8h open for battles
Continent two 8h open for battles
Continent three 8h open for battles

Just an example.
So mixed clans could compete at every continent and EU US etc. could concentrate on their favorite.
Nobody would be excluded this way.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:29:19 pm by Camaris »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 03:28:02 pm »
If you make 2 continents you also could do 3.

2 smaller continents - only EU and only US
1 bigger - EU and US

That would totally defeat the point of splitting up the map in the first place.

Different time zones for the two continents were already included in Leiknir's post.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:32:28 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »
One problem i see with this that you still only have two strategus servers eu and us.
So probably only 2 timezones would bring any benefit.
But that would kill matches at saturday morning for eu for example ;) i liked those.