Author Topic: Horses have no natural predators  (Read 27121 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Horses have no natural predators
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »
Yesterday was a particular bad round I whitnessed. DRZ_Naduril came charging in on his courser just after round start. He came from the front, so I downblocked his light lance.
He then proceeded to run through our team from the FRONT and killed 4 people in 1 pass. He came out the other end without damage and killed 16 players that round.
Kinda looked like nobody even tried to stop him.

The worst thing I have been seeing since the patch hit is if you do somehow try to pike them they just downblock and somehow it blocks the thrust to their horse as well.  Even seen jump their horse and you pike the underbelly of the horse, but because they are downblocking youa ctually hear the blocking sound and the horse goes by undamaged.  Seriosuly downblock should not protect your horse at all let alone form every angle including above and below.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 03:47:38 pm »
Horse archers eat horses for a light snack.

Pedestrians need better situational awareness. Cav know bad situational awareness gets one killed (arrow from no where, lance from blind spot, hitting a hidden man or obstacle) but pedestrians can't seem to get this. Situational awareness, like feinting, is a essential part of the pedestrian skill set. It is nearly impossible to get an aware infantryman as cav.

Or take the easy way. Nearly 95% of maps have a campable roof, where you can throw situational awareness to the wind and tunnel vision all you like. Do you hear cav complaining about that? But you see a few cav killing unaware or afk people who don't bother to use tilda or turn around despite someone spamming "incoming cavalry-from the rear!" multiple times and suddenly horses don't have natural predators?

Horses are the means of natural selection. The unaware gets picked off, so the fittest can fight in the end.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:52:27 pm by kongxinga »

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:35 pm »
This is beginning to seriously feel like pre-upkeep patch, I bet Assurninar is going to spawn back from horsies heaven if this keep going on.
A week or two ago no cav would have charged head on at the beginning of the round like they do now. 

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 06:03:40 pm »
With the nerf to throwing horses are running around unafraid. Either rebuff a range type to deal with this menace or nerf horses.

I did notice that with the new archer buffs my fellow archers are starting to ignore the horses and go for the troops more often, which is kinda... Odd.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »
The worst thing I have been seeing since the patch hit is if you do somehow try to pike them they just downblock and somehow it blocks the thrust to their horse as well.  Even seen jump their horse and you pike the underbelly of the horse, but because they are downblocking youa ctually hear the blocking sound and the horse goes by undamaged.  Seriosuly downblock should not protect your horse at all let alone form every angle including above and below.

stop beig kill hungry, aim for the horse...not the rider....any cav with a bit of xp will downblock tp save himself...but if you kill the horse youll have a bit of time for you and you  friends to express all your cavhate contained deep inside yourself and proceed to rape him...

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 06:11:14 pm »
stop beig kill hungry, aim for the horse...not the rider....any cav with a bit of xp will downblock tp save himself...but if you kill the horse youll have a bit of time for you and you  friends to express all your cavhate contained deep inside yourself and proceed to rape him...

Read what Kresh said, again please if you would. :)
She said it even can block you hitting the belly of the horse.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:18 pm »
as inf i equip with a pike and a great long axe.
I never get the downblocking problem...
You get it because you aim upwoards, the pike goes straight through the horse and hits the rider's cavblock wich has a super forcefield... Wounding the horse but doing the block noise
as soon as you hit a cav with your pike (except if you stick it up its ass) it will stop, even if the cav jumps it will do this ugly landing rear....a great long axe in its legs and cav no more

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »
Lactose... I had to give you +1 for your name alone!
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 06:51:47 pm »
I'd say 70% of my kills from horseback are unaware or uncaring footmen. Post patch, I haven't really seen many throwers bothering me, but crossbows and pikes have taken their place. I'm hella glad that my champoin courser isn't being one shot by throwing axes anymore, that was BS. Honestly, success from horseback depends alot on the map and who's playing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 06:57:38 pm »
as inf i equip with a pike and a great long axe.
I never get the downblocking problem...
You get it because you aim upwoards, the pike goes straight through the horse and hits the rider's cavblock wich has a super forcefield... Wounding the horse but doing the block noise
as soon as you hit a cav with your pike (except if you stick it up its ass) it will stop, even if the cav jumps it will do this ugly landing rear....a great long axe in its legs and cav no more
yep, i have tried downblocking it too and it wounds your horse still, if you go for the horse, but get blocked of (u even hear the going through flesh sound).
Usually they survive 1 pike thrust so u can just keep going, this may probably feel as if nothing happened from an pikers point of view, but be sure it hurts the horse mostly min. 50% of it's hp (speed bonus).

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
Horse archers eat horses for a light snack.

Pedestrians need better situational awareness. Cav know bad situational awareness gets one killed (arrow from no where, lance from blind spot, hitting a hidden man or obstacle) but pedestrians can't seem to get this. Situational awareness, like feinting, is a essential part of the pedestrian skill set. It is nearly impossible to get an aware infantryman as cav.

Or take the easy way. Nearly 95% of maps have a campable roof, where you can throw situational awareness to the wind and tunnel vision all you like. Do you hear cav complaining about that? But you see a few cav killing unaware or afk people who don't bother to use tilda or turn around despite someone spamming "incoming cavalry-from the rear!" multiple times and suddenly horses don't have natural predators?

Horses are the means of natural selection. The unaware gets picked off, so the fittest can fight in the end.

Doenst matter when the guy riding the horse is sitting on and unerfed champ formula 1 race courser or arab horse moveing 10 meters per sec..

Im cav myself and anyone who have rode a champ courser or arab horse know its easy mode and total bullshit lmao  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »
Lactose... I had to give you +1 for your name alone!

thank you good sir  :D

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »
Doenst matter when the guy riding the horse is sitting on and unerfed champ formula 1 race courser or arab horse moveing 10 meters per sec..

Im cav myself and anyone who have rode a champ courser or arab horse know its easy mode and total bullshit lmao  :lol:

That combined with 7-9 riding skill and you turn around see no one turn back and in less than 3 seconds you get couched from behind.  Situational awareness be damned.  The best nerf of horses would make riding skill half as effective as it used to be for speed and maneuverability (since its only 3 not 6 agility since january) and so they actually would need to catch people unawares or lance skillfully not just rely on ungodly speeds faster than any real horse alive doing sharp 90 degree turns at full gallop.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 07:12:18 pm »
Added lions in next patch.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 07:16:10 pm »
Pikes? Crossbows? Arrows? I'm sorry your teammates don't aim for the horses.

Easily the biggest horse predator is awareness.

I agree. With the "Takes 30 minutes to get up" nerf, the "lol good luck using armor" nerf, the "LOL lets make the pike longer" nerf,  cav is NOT OP. I'm glad that cav can ACTUALLY PLAY now instead of having to sneak-kill 1, maybe 2 archers a round before being killed by a single throwing axe which somehow kills you and your nice, paper horse. I can actually attack some people head-on now. I still get dismounted with 2 arrows from the longbow, but do I care? Nope. Because of the patch, I rage about 50% less. Keep in mind horses cost a metric fuck-ton, whereas 2-handed spammers can virtually use plate (somehow..) and still make a few extra gold while doing so.

I'd say 70% of my kills from horseback are unaware or uncaring footmen. Post patch, I haven't really seen many throwers bothering me, but crossbows and pikes have taken their place. I'm hella glad that my champoin courser isn't being one shot by throwing axes anymore, that was BS. Honestly, success from horseback depends alot on the map and who's playing.

...and the cavalryman's skill. I've been cavalry ever since I started cRPG, and I consider myself fairly good at cavalry. The only type of cavalry that's Op now are Horse archers..again.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:17:40 pm by Reinhardt »
"A leader is a dealer in hope."