Poll

Wat

The Secret World
11 (39.3%)
Gay Wars 2
17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: The Secret World  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 06:01:13 pm »
+1
Even if it got the best combat system to ever grace a MMORPG it still lacks a new refreshing setting (not shitty generic MMO fantasy lore crap) and it looks like it will still be a bland 'ur characters story development won't matter and ur just a generic guy who follows the same footsteps everyone else does' thing.

You're talking as if the TSW setting is something entirely new. Setting matters little to me if the rest of the game is great. Also calling someone generic because of preferred setting is lol.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 07:03:25 pm »
Well it is. Most MMO's out there are (Dragons, Orcs, Elves, Bows, Swords etc etc) like that.
So just because the combat system would be not only like ''push hotkeys to fight'' kind of deal and graphics would be cool and music would be good what difference does it make if it's a random fantasy lore game?

I mean, it's like...''HERE TAKE THIS #RANDOM FANTASY MEH GAME NOW UPGRADED WITH SOME BETTER FEATURES!''.

And TSW will probably not be a GREAT MMORPG but it will be good i'm sure. And really? Secret societies with monsters in our current world (that looks like OUR world) isn't somewhat new and refreshing?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »
Secret societies with monsters in our current world (that looks like OUR world) isn't somewhat new and refreshing?

The way I see it it's just 3 factions named and presented differently hunting monsters, which has been done oh so many times. Not to mention Failcom makes me want to wristcut, I say that as their more than a year customer on AoC.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »
The way I see it it's just 3 factions named and presented differently hunting monsters, which has been done oh so many times. Not to mention Failcom makes me want to wristcut, I say that as their more than a year customer on AoC.

First and foremost, they're not only ''hunting monsters''. There's much more to it than that. 2:ndly, ''done oh so many times''. Really? Name 3 examples.

And AoC being bad is a subjective opinion.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 10:07:02 pm »
+1
First and foremost, they're not only ''hunting monsters''. There's much more to it than that. 2:ndly, ''done oh so many times''. Really? Name 3 examples.

In which game are you not hunting monsters (PvE) for whatever reason (except for PvP exclusive ofc)?

And AoC being bad is a subjective opinion.

there's a reason why it went f2p, shit sucked

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 10:13:53 pm »
In which game are you not hunting monsters (PvE) for whatever reason (except for PvP exclusive ofc)?

there's a reason why it went f2p, shit sucked

Because it couldn't battle against the giant (WoW). Not surprising. None of em can.

And by monsters? Really? We're not thinking the same. Your definition of monsters could be ''orcs and trolls'' and such but these are ''monsters'' in their own category. They're dark monsters that ''threaten'' planet Earth.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 03:21:02 am »
That's the whole fucking point. GW2 is anything but using the same formula. Yes it has a theme and that's medieval fantasy and that seems to bother you fine, but anything else is just way different than most generic MMOs today.

Just because TSW has a modern theme doesn't make it good.

It's not that different. Honestly, they threw in some interesting wrinkles but let's not get carried away here. Many of the things they boast have already been implemented in an MMO setting in one way or another. Periodic world events were in Warhammer, City of Heroes and the pseudo "dynamic" portion of it where it's "changes state" afterward was in Tabula Rasa. The "siege" resources for defenses and other WvW things were in Lord of the Rings Online. Perhaps not as expanded on (as these are old games) or all in the same game, it's still not revolutionary in any sense of the term. And this is coming from a long time GW1 player/former-fanboy.

I also admit that I'm tired of the dragon/dwarf/elf/medieval-fantasy bullshit as well.

Because it couldn't battle against the giant (WoW). Not surprising. None of em can.

Nah, AoC died because it had probably the worst launch release for an MMO that I've been a part of and a successful, stable launch is absolutely critical for an MMO to sustain a player base in the long run. Literally half the features listed on the retail box weren't even implemented in the game in the first couple months of release including many core highlight features especially in PvP. Once you reached a certain level, there was no content left to get you to the level cap unless you wanted to grind repeatable (kill x amount) bounty quests that the entire server was already doing because they were stuck too. What's also funny in retrospect, the early access for preorders was reduced to 1 of the original 3 days because they couldn't get the servers running. Everything you can think of was broken. I heard it got better but that first month was such a disaster that I never went back.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:29:14 am by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 08:47:29 am »
+1
TSW was fun during the betas, but I wouldn't throw down 15 a month plus 50 on this game. I'll give it another look when it turns f2p in a year or three

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:12 am »
+1
TSW was fun during the betas, but I wouldn't throw down 15 a month plus 50 on this game. I'll give it another look when it turns f2p in a year or three

This, I never tried it but it looks like shit imo.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 09:56:27 am »
Meh i'll wait till it's released and then we'll see how it is. Remember SWTOR :P When i hit 50 everything was meh as endgame.

Only concept of a MMORPG i will REALLY look forward to is a Fallout MMORPG. Because if done properly the combat system would either be done as a FPS or Fallout 1 + 2 system which both of em are good. (Really doubt it would be a carbon copy of all EQ/WoW clones).

Because as we stand TSW and Fallout MMORPG is the only games i have hope for in the MMORPG genre. Also Funcom might've failed with AoC (Barely played it so i can't make a proper judgement) but they also made incredibly epicly, but they also made Dreamfall and The Longest Journey which were soooo good (SP but goood, so story wise TSW might be good even if it's MMO).

Also guns + nuclear wasteland = Success!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:01:17 am by CountBerenger »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 11:25:04 am »
+1
It's not that different. Honestly, they threw in some interesting wrinkles but let's not get carried away here. Many of the things they boast have already been implemented in an MMO setting in one way or another. Periodic world events were in Warhammer, City of Heroes and the pseudo "dynamic" portion of it where it's "changes state" afterward was in Tabula Rasa. The "siege" resources for defenses and other WvW things were in Lord of the Rings Online. Perhaps not as expanded on (as these are old games) or all in the same game, it's still not revolutionary in any sense of the term. And this is coming from a long time GW1 player/former-fanboy.

Nah I'm not saying it's revolutionary or anything, just different enough so you can't call it generic (apart from the setting). The whole no gear competition/grind thing really does it for me. Most of the MMOs are gear grinds these days.

Imo the only big successful MMO that is different from the plethora of WoW clones currently out is EVE.

Offline Loar Avel

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Lady_Marlyse
An
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »
+1
Playing, and having fun with it.

I like the atmosphered of this game, real modern world with all our legend true? Complot theorie,  it's unusual and refreshing.

Can make my character the way I want, no limit (well, except efficiency maybe ;)), no class.

Fun quest, no boring bashing one. The first MMo who give me an headache  because of he's quest,  In the good sense of the therm ;), Some quest need you to think quite hard

And PVP  1 vs 1 vs 1, quite unusual for me too.

To elaborate:
animations look stupid
combat looks stupid
effects look stupid
ui looks stupid
everything looks stupid

And yet your playing mount and blade ;)
(Well mount and blade got awesome combat ^^)

The world is split in two categorie.
The one digging, and the one with the loaded crossbow.

But never forget that the one digging, got a big shovel.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 09:37:26 pm »
+1
Well secret world is definatly the best mmorpg since a very long time and ive tested a lot.
Okay i prefer machine guns over fairys and elves any time.

The best thing this is hard and you have to use your brain. For example a tiny part of a quest where i have to find the login to a computer.
The rank of the owner was a title of a book from edgar allen poe and i had to translate his name in the way they encrypted stuff in the book.
The solution was "305))"

I could continue a long time but since someone already done it the way i would to, read it here:
http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/why-tsw-is-the-best-mmo-ever

Saw TotalHalibuts video on this, looks extremely cheesy, gameplay looks dumb too.

-edit: Here

Too bad he doesn't show any gameplay in the video, question is what or who looks dumb here...

To elaborate:

animations look stupid
combat looks stupid
effects look stupid
ui looks stupid
everything looks stupid

just like an unfinished free to play game

You sure you didn't watched videos from the (closed) beta?!
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 09:46:16 pm »
+1
Well secret world is definatly the best mmorpg since a very long time and ive tested a lot.
Okay i prefer machine guns over fairys and elves any time.

The best thing this is hard and you have to use your brain. For example a tiny part of a quest where i have to find the login to a computer.
The rank of the owner was a title of a book from edgar allen poe and i had to translate his name in the way they encrypted stuff in the book.
The solution was "305))"

I could continue a long time but since someone already done it the way i would to, read it here:
http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/why-tsw-is-the-best-mmo-ever

Too bad he doesn't show any gameplay in the video, question is what or who looks dumb here...

You sure you didn't watched videos from the (closed) beta?!

They're GW2 fanbois. Don't even try lol.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:52 am »
Both games are shit.