Should Throwing Lances be removed?

Yes
92 (41.8%)
Severely nerfed
53 (24.1%)
No
75 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Remove Throwing Lances  (Read 10327 times)

Offline Aldwyn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Remove Throwing Lances
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:21:02 pm »
Even while wearing chainmail or even transitional you can be one hit but throwing lances if you're moving towards them.  They look ridiculous, five foot long lances that do ridiculous amounts of damage, are extremely accurate and even do bonus damage against shields.  Javelins and throwing spears/jarids are a bit OP as well, but not as ridiculous as throwing lances.  I just think they should be removed from the game.  Who's with me?!?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: Remove Throwing Lances
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:30:17 pm »
extremely accurate?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ever tried using them?
Turtles

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:40 pm »
extremely accurate?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ever tried using them?

my thoughts exactly. They are by far, hands down, the most inaccurate weapon in the game. An archer with 13 power draw, 1 wpf, and the most inaccurate bow in the game would still be more accurate than a dedicated thrower with a lance.

They also don't kill more heavily armored opponents in 1 hit unless you are 100% strength built.

But hey, plenty of weapons can 1 hit an opponent easily. Why crack down on throwing lances?
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Aldwyn

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:19 pm »
It's accurate enough at close ranges where its normally used.  I can't count the times my horse has been 1 hit from 20 feet away.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:51 pm »
extremely accurate?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ever tried using them?
+1

Here's a more accurate and complete description of them. Some of the positives include their great damage that often one hit kill all but the heaviest armored/ironfleshed opponents. They are quite fun to use and againist slow 2h/polearm users with massive swords that others run from, lance throwers thrive. They are also great for guarding narrow pathways, taking out cav charges and getting people like Aldwyn to rage or at least make complaints. The negatives however include the low amount of lances(2) per stack for a very high repair price(547g). They are very inaccurate beyond about 15-25 feet. They are quite slow so againist a heavy shielder you may break their shield but often wont get the kill unless you time your throw at the perfect moment when they raise their sword againist you. Since it is mainly a strength build (21 minimum, though pure throwers often go higher to ensure 1 hit kills) you also lack agility. If you get hit by a lance from and real distance consider it your unlucky day.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:23:15 am »
It's accurate enough at close ranges where its normally used.  I can't count the times my horse has been 1 hit from 20 feet away.

Wait, this is about your horse getting 1 hit?  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aldwyn

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:36:38 am »
My horse being one hit even as it runs in the opposite direction is just a result of the overpoweredness of throwing lances. 

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:28 am »
+1 to removal of patriot missiles

Everything about them is insanely rediculous. The thought that making a rediculously oversized javalin will increase penetrating power is rediculous. Watching people run around with throwing lances charged is extremely painful and getting one thrown at you when the head of it already touching you (most often going through you) is annoying. Generally it's a stupid notion that a weapon, thrown through the air, will have better damage than one stabbed through an enemy with the full weight of the user
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:57:11 am »
My horse being one hit even as it runs in the opposite direction is just a result of the overpoweredness of throwing lances.

My rouncy has taken 3 when moving in the opposite direction.  Is something wrong with your horse?

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:12:24 am »
the poll results, SO FAR, say everything you need to know...nerf or remove.
I've been in blk armour, 21 STR 7 IF, full health, 1 hitted. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

willy wheels, owl wheels, bogey wheels, hot wheels, mag wheels, billy cursey, mary the dyke from across the road, john the black bloke, what about stamps? teddy i shit meself, fleming house, greggers, pop-inn, don't woory - 50, i mog ka musik, t

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:18:22 am »
+1 to removal of patriot missiles

Everything about them is insanely rediculous. The thought that making a rediculously oversized javalin will increase penetrating power is rediculous. Watching people run around with throwing lances charged is extremely painful and getting one thrown at you when the head of it already touching you (most often going through you) is annoying. Generally it's a stupid notion that a weapon, thrown through the air, will have better damage than one stabbed through an enemy with the full weight of the user

"The pilum (plural pila) was a javelin commonly used by the Roman army in ancient times. It was generally about two metres long overall, consisting of an iron shank about 7 mm in diameter and 60 cm long with pyramidal head. The shank was joined to the wooded shaft by either a socket or a flat tang."

Hhhmmmm...

Damage could use a slight nerf, but on my PT 7 lancer I've failed to 1 hit my roommate who was wearing a tunic over mail with 6 IF. I wonder if all the 1 hit stories are actual one hits. I do agree with the close ranged throwing though, that is just stupid.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 01:20:19 am »
it should share the same fate as the other "super" weapons we had - remove/change

lance of compensation - removed
looney toone axe - removed
cookie/tears - changed
throwing lances - still avaible

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:48 am »
Difference between those weapons, is lances actually have balancing downsides. Otherwise there would be a lot more people using them. Maybe things are differenton the EU servers, but there's rarely more than a couple people at a time using lances on NA servers.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 02:26:13 am »
"The pilum (plural pila) was a javelin commonly used by the Roman army in ancient times. It was generally about two metres long overall, consisting of an iron shank about 7 mm in diameter and 60 cm long with pyramidal head. The shank was joined to the wooded shaft by either a socket or a flat tang."
Pila were used to disable shields by making them too cumbersome to wield. They were not designed to kill people but to break phalanxes.

Throwing lances are stupid, they need considerable balancing or to be removed (or remade into the role of a Pilum using on-hit weight adding triggers at the cost of making them 30 damage and a bit more accurate. Seriously it would be cool to have something tactical like that rather than an "lol insta-kill no skill".)

It isn't that they are accurate but how inaccurate they are which makes them only usable in close to melee range. And oh yes do they one hit kill. Sure, there are times when people survive but that is generally rare or a high HP build being hit by a low PT thrower with no speed bonus.
I'm a thrower and with 10 PT I can one-shot Wallace and he is a super heavy tin can. I should not one-hit a guy with 70+ body armor and 10+ IronFlesh unless it is a headshot.
They don't currently serve any game use for balance or an interesting gimmick like "ohoho it adds tons of weight to a shield like a pilum so it makes it too heavy to use".

The usual arguments in favor of the throwing lance come along these few points so I'll just counter them now:
1. You only get 2 per stack. : You can pick them up. That is 2 dead things or destroyed shields. per stack. You can have 4 stacks.
2. They are really expensive. : Uh yeah, So is wearing plate. The top tier of everything is really expensive. Except you can onehit guys wearing plate which costs way more.
3. They have terrible accuracy : Not a reason to give them sympathy but rather a reason why they are so bad for the game. And due to it being an inaccurate just-be-close weapon that means it requires little skill to use effectively, and, more player skill produces no rewards.

Oh, how can I forget this too: They are a weapon that 1 hits enemies with little to no danger to himself. It is a high reward - no risk weapon. Every other weapon that can come even anywhere close to the one hit capabilities of a throwing lances are High risk to the user.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:31:40 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:59 am »
3. They have terrible accuracy : Not a reason to give them sympathy but rather a reason why they are so bad for the game. And due to it being an inaccurate just-be-close weapon that means it requires little skill to use effectively, and, more player skill produces no rewards.

..Yes yes yes. It really does not make you feel better when you know you just got 1 hit killed by something that can't be blocked, ESPECIALLY when that thing is horribly inaccurate so basically, you didn't die because the other player was good, you died because of luck.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.