Author Topic: Throwing weapons (need balancing )  (Read 15902 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Throwing weapons (need balancing )
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:29:39 pm »
I guess this topic would've popped up eventually, sooner or later. So instead of the good old archers spam,  now we have throwing weapons (THW later in this topic)  spam.
I'm fine with it, at least people advance towards each other nowadays instead of camping for ages, but imo throwing is too OP as it is right now.

No matter what THW it is, it either hurts, or hurts LIKE HELL. Add two simple facts that one can use a shield  with THW and/or spam THW and easily switch to a melee weapon when the time comes.

As much as i love throwing (i had 7 PT before the patch), i think for the sake of game balance it needs to be somehow tweaked. The first idea that comes is a little of a damage reduction for all throwing weapons.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:36:14 am by Shogunate_Ujin »

Offline Welcome_To_Hell

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: nK / Northern Empire
Re: Throwing weapons (maybe a slight damage reduction?)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:46:13 pm »
I agree. Throwing weapons got an indirect buff from other ranged getting a nerf.

I do not understand why throwing weapons do so much pierce damage while their polearm counterparts thrust attacks do much less.

My Ideas:

- Add a proper reload animation for throwing weapons. (Taking throwing axes out of the bag, Javelins, Jarid's, e.t.c.)

- Remove the shotgun effect, involve precise timing. (Similar to archery longer you hold down the button the more inaccurate it gets)

- Reduce the damage slightly.

- Increase accuracy significantly

- Increase WPF affect on accuracy significantly

Would love to see throwing become something more of a tactical support role used with smarts, not an arcady point blank shotgun class.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »
The accuracy on throwing weapons currently sucks, i'm not going to use them again in my future chars. Damage is already low, sometimes i hit people with 3 spears and they don't die. Good support skill but a waste of points in real fights.

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »
I guess this topic would've popped up eventually, sooner or later. So instead of the good old archers spam,  now we have throwing weapons (THW later in this topic)  spam.
I'm fine with it, at least people advance towards each other nowadays instead of camping for ages, but imo throwing is too OP as it is right now.

No matter what THW it is, it either hurts, or hurts LIKE HELL. Add two simple facts that one can use a shield  with THW and/or spam THW and easily switch to a melee weapon when the time comes.

As much as i love throwing (i had 7 PT before the patch), i think for the sake of game balance it needs to be somehow tweaked. The first idea that comes is a little of a damage reduction for all throwing weapons.

We have 2h/pole/1h/archer spam to
Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Chapman

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:43:30 pm »
I agree. Throwing weapons got an indirect buff from other ranged getting a nerf.

I do not understand why throwing weapons do so much pierce damage while their polearm counterparts thrust attacks do much less.

My Ideas:

- Add a proper reload animation for throwing weapons. (Taking throwing axes out of the bag, Javelins, Jarid's, e.t.c.)

- Remove the shotgun effect, involve precise timing. (Similar to archery longer you hold down the button the more inaccurate it gets)

Would love to see throwing become something more of a tactical support role used with smarts, not an arcady point blank shotgun class.
I agree with all of this

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
Mostly fine, BUT the shotgun effect is the only advantage of throwing weapons: they are much slower, worse range, definitely less ammo. I think we've payed for that non-decreasing accuracy.

The other things are good:
-The animation allows too much rate of fire, especially with knives.
-Damage may be too high now, with the decrease in armor, especially with the relatively long-range javelins/jarids/throwing weapon of overcompensation.
-Accuracy is still more or less a luck game, and that's never good.
-I'm close to 100 WPF in throwing, and that shit's still not very accurate.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:14 pm »
Thrown stuff flies slow as hell. If you are aware, you won't get hit. Except on very close range, but somewhere it has to be effective. If you are a cav guy riding in a straight line near enemy throwers, well, your fault.

Also, take into account that we have to upkeep each stack of throwing. A guy with 16 jarids has to pay equipment worth 7700*4 = 30800 for his weapons alone, add another 10k for a medium armor set. Ofc they need to be stronger than the usual 30k total-equipment guy.
If it gets nerfed, make it cheaper, too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:08:23 pm »
My biggest gripe is the accuracy there's an archer sniping and he didn't notice me so I stand still and try to hit him with heavy war darts I tried 4 times before being able to hit him!! that's half a stack for fking sake.

It's very hard to make headshots with throwing if I had a xbow I could have ended the show in 1 bolt or maybe 2.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:35 pm »
My Ideas:

Also, slight reduction of projectile speed. Other than that, i agree wholeheartly.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Vammo75

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vamm
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »

My Ideas:

I agree with the above post in the main. I think an across-the-board reduction in damage would be bad: knives, daggers, war darts and darts would be unusable, everything with damage above those should have it reduced (think of the powerthrow of the people using them).
The only throwing weapons I cannot dodge at close range with are lances. I would support getting rid of the PT effect on accuracy.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:58:22 pm »
Yeah, I got one shotted by a throwing axe to the chest while I had 48 body armour
I also got one shotted in the leg with 30 body armour
A bit silly tbh!

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »
How did that happen? I only one-shot people with headshots. I need at least 2-3 to the chest to anyone not in a linen shirt.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:05:36 pm »
How did that happen? I only one-shot people with headshots. I need at least 2-3 to the chest to anyone not in a linen shirt.
High PT ? I was one hit killed by gnjus's axe when i used heraldic mail.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 07:08:20 pm »
I have 5, and I can't imagine anyone having more than 7-8 with the current patch. That's not a really huge difference... dunno.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:13 pm »
I have 5, and I can't imagine anyone having more than 7-8 with the current patch. That's not a really huge difference... dunno.

There are some with 10+, thats where the whining has to be directed, not towards the usual throwers with a balanced build.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login