Author Topic: Bike culture?  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Bike culture?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 11:12:28 pm »
So do you guys wear helmets when riding your bikes?

Seems to me that there's way more hate for people who don't, or at least people who wear helmets care a lot more about the fact that some people don't. I used to ride a bike to college every day, and never saw the need. If you don't go over roads at full speed and have decent reflexes/know how to fall, there's no more reason to wear one than when walking.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2014, 11:17:27 pm »
I never wear a helmet... never really crossed my mind tbh.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2014, 11:54:23 pm »

Seems to me that there's way more hate for people who don't, or at least people who wear helmets care a lot more about the fact that some people don't. I used to ride a bike to college every day, and never saw the need. If you don't go over roads at full speed and have decent reflexes/know how to fall, there's no more reason to wear one than when walking.

My insurance won't cover me if I don't wear a helmet. Also, I recently flipped my bicycle and landed head first...on my helmet. So that kind of cemented the habit.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2014, 11:59:44 pm »
It's probably smart to wear a helmet just in case there's a ledge right there to plant your head on when you fall, but I don't and I cycle to work every day (it's not far, but still).

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

Occasionally, many years ago, when I was still riding racing bikes at questionable speeds and had more fear of "accidents" (in which I do not believe any more today)...

Otherwise it is total bs in my opinion

Reminds me of a pro-helmet propaganda campaign in Switzerland that I came across during my bicycle-hobo-years, travelling Europe with a bike, 90kg-trailer and NO effing helmet... the poster basically says "without a helmet, your hair style might suffer" - well... LOL
(click to show/hide)
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2014, 02:16:15 am »
It's probably smart to wear a helmet just in case there's a ledge right there to plant your head on when you fall, but I don't and I cycle to work every day (it's not far, but still).
Would have to be going really stupidly fast though to not be able to get my hands in front of me, or at least take the impact with my shoulder. If you put your chin down and your shoulders up, the only way your head is taking the impact is if you don't twist at all and headbutt the ground straight-on. So for everyday stuff, I don't think a helmet necessary at all. If you do some extreme mountain biking at high speeds, then it's probably a good idea.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2014, 03:08:29 am »
+6
As someone living in the near-center Copenhagen, i can say that wearing helmet is gay :) Only pencil-pushing office dwellers, family-fathers and "pro" legginswearing-cyclists use a helmet here. Deep in their heart, everyone feels that wearing a helmet makes them a house-cat, and they are no longer born-to-be-wild men. Every time you lock them chin-straps, you become a responsible member of society, and your soul dies a little...

Check out the OP video, and see how many helmets you can count, and who wears them.
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 05:29:03 am »
Helmet wearers

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 10:02:24 am »
MY brother is a amateur cyclist and has had a couple of high speed crashes at 50-70mph (downhill) and the wearing of a helmet has saved his life on at least 3 occasions.

Didnt help him too much tho when he got wiped out on a roundabout and suffered a broken leg from some guy who didnt see him while switching lanes.

@Hirlok im not sure I'd cycle in certain parts of switzerland without a helmet.. you seen how they drive in Kanton Aargau its almost like they are given a driving lisence when they are born not because they passed any kind of test teaching them the basic rules of the road...
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2014, 11:01:03 am »
I live in a flat country and I only ride utility bikes, the fastest I am gonna go is like 35 if I am in a real hurry. I have fallen with my bike a dozen times over the course of my life and I can't imagine how I would fall on my head. Never really got injured at all really, falling is pretty easy. Few people wear a helmet here, mostly only people on racing bikes.

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »
+1
Wouldn't dare go on my racing bike without a helmet, too many fucking retarded drivers

I go down country lanes and daft cunts think it's all rate to fly about in their shitty punto
playin this shit

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2014, 01:18:28 pm »

I always wear a helmet. It's saved my life once before so I do think people who don't wear them are stupid. I came off my bike over the handle bars and face planted the ground. Bit through my top lip and smashed the entire front of my helmet. Doctors were convinced without the helmet I'd have been dead. Fortunately only needed stitches to put my lip back together. That was on a road and wasn't doing anything dumb ect. Just a random accident.

It also depends where you're cycling. In Brighton the route I cycle now is all cycle paths on the pavement so there's little need. I still do just to make sure. But when I used to cycle to uni the cycle paths were on the road and more than once I've almost been knocked off by buses (fing public transport) so I always did then.

Funny thing is, I've had repeats of that accident whilst doing downhill off road runs and come out with barely a scratch and not a dent in my helmet.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:26:05 pm by Overdriven »

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2014, 01:38:10 pm »
Funny thing is, I've had repeats of that accident whilst doing downhill off road runs and come out with barely a scratch and not a dent in my helmet.
oni takes 1 accident to kill you, better to be safe

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2014, 01:09:00 am »
I always wear a helmet. It's saved my life once before so I do think people who don't wear them are stupid. I came off my bike over the handle bars and face planted the ground. Bit through my top lip and smashed the entire front of my helmet. Doctors were convinced without the helmet I'd have been dead. Fortunately only needed stitches to put my lip back together. That was on a road and wasn't doing anything dumb ect. Just a random accident.
Good for you for wearing a helmet, but why do you think people who don't wear them are stupid? If you weren't going 70 mph downhill, then how do you faceplant the ground when coming over the handle bars? If you know your physical limitations, then wearing a helmet is smart -- but realize that there are people with better reflexes and who know how to fall safely. It's like someone who keeps falling when walking and cracking his bones calling people not wearing a full safety gear while walking stupid.

It also depends where you're cycling. In Brighton the route I cycle now is all cycle paths on the pavement so there's little need. I still do just to make sure. But when I used to cycle to uni the cycle paths were on the road and more than once I've almost been knocked off by buses (fing public transport) so I always did then.
If you got at reasonable speeds in intersections etc., the danger is really no different to walking.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:08 am »
+1
I use a helmet when I use the bike for long rides like training. Cba carrying a helmet around at Uni all day when it takes ~5 minutes to bike over there. Just can't bike like a maniac when there's cars around!

Couldn't imagine myself without my bike, it really makes everything much easier.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.