Author Topic: Bike culture?  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
Re: Bike culture?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:52 pm »
+1
Poor judgement on the part of the cyclist (and the gigglin + finger would have earned him vehicular manslaughter from me)
The cyclist was indicating that he was going to turn left, which is the same as a left indicator and it is the driver's fault not realising and giving him way, since he was in a crossing. The cyclist should have noticed and been more careful though too. The stopping and being an ass afterwards because of the horn was retarded though, I agree.
Just a bunch of bad manners and practices put together...

And yeah Teeth, in Spain either there are either no bicycle  paths, or poorly designed ones. It is also a fairly mountainous country, which doesn't help either.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »
Poor judgement on the part of the cyclist (and the gigglin + finger would have earned him vehicular manslaughter from me)

He gave a signal. It was entirely the car drivers fault. Poor judgement? No, just too much trust in retarded car drivers to stop when they should stop.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »
For me and the general culture of it in this town they're a nuisance. Here it's a hobby for the 30-65 year old business people where they buy those outfits and bikes that professional cyclists use and then roam in packs failing to ride single file on roads that have no sidewalk or bike-lane.
And how!

Offline ARN_

• Duke
  • Renown: 605
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Arn
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 11:15:43 pm »
+2
The cyclist was indicating that he was going to turn left, which is the same as a left indicator and it is the driver's fault not realising and giving him way, since he was in a crossing. The cyclist should have noticed and been more careful though too. The stopping and being an ass afterwards because of the horn was retarded though, I agree.
Just a bunch of bad manners and practices put together...

And yeah Teeth, in Spain either there are either no bicycle  paths, or poorly designed ones. It is also a fairly mountainous country, which doesn't help either.
Thing is tho that here in Sweden and I guess it's the same in Finland as well is that you have to let the cars pass if you want to ride your bike over a crossing, if you on the other hand dismount the bike and walk over he has to stop.  So here it was the cyclist fault, assuming Finland have the same rules ofc
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
'You think you tell us what we do?'
'We not here for you entertainment'.
Eastern European sportsmanship 2014

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 11:47:43 pm »
+2
I bike home from work every day. It's so rare to see another cyclist that I know the faces of the few others in town. There are no bike lanes, but it's technically illegal to cycle on the sidewalks. The average speed of the cars on the road is 45mph. They never see me. Even my wife doesn't see me when she drives past me. Every other day someone almost hits me.

It's HORRIBLE. However, different cities and states in the United States are drastically different. I've been to smaller cities in cooler climates where most of the population or at least half seems to bike. I wish everyone rode bikes, but most people drive cars, and it's a harsh world for a cyclist. They operate on schedules that assume you can drive everywhere, to the point that my bosses are trying to pressure me into buying a second car.

tl;dr it sucks to be a cyclist where I live

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 11:54:58 pm »
Thing is tho that here in Sweden and I guess it's the same in Finland as well is that you have to let the cars pass if you want to ride your bike over a crossing, if you on the other hand dismount the bike and walk over he has to stop.  So here it was the cyclist fault, assuming Finland have the same rules ofc
huh the bit of the crossing without the lines painted (closer to the car in this case) is the signal for a crossing for cyclists, at least in Spain, whereas the one with the stripes is the pedestrian one (zebra crossing).
Notice how there isn't a curb in the middle as well, whereas the zebra crossing bit does have one.
In the UK there are also squares (smaller) without stripes in the middle that indicate that both pedestrians and cyclists can cross (toucan crossings).

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 12:00:24 am »
+3
http://vimeo.com/109273337

I fucking hate cyclists...

Yeah thats definitely all on the car driver, the guy even clearly signals that he's about to turn. Flipping the driver off totally legit, he even honks as if it was the cyclists fault. It's like in crpg when you report someone and they get mad at you for reporting when they were the one that fucking teamhit you.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 12:04:09 am »
Not even in Dutchland do cars have to give way to cyclists at a bike crossing, unless specifically indicated.

I'm pretty sure we dont, atleast not in my small city and i doubt the bigger has it either. Sidewalks are for both cyclists and walking my old friendets.
Really, cyclists are supposed to use sidewalks in Sweden?

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 12:34:58 am »
The best thing about bikes is that you can still drive them whilst being incredibly drunk

I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 12:55:27 am »
Not even in Dutchland do cars have to give way to cyclists at a bike crossing, unless specifically indicated.
Really, cyclists are supposed to use sidewalks in Sweden?

Thats what everyone does atleast.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 01:14:04 am »
I wish my city was flat for cycling, but then skateboarding would be shit. I work by a river, and live on the top of the hill. Cycling to work is fun when I did it before but the way back is a nightmare. So.. I drive..
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 01:28:43 am »
+1
As a pasionate bike rider in my city that has little but increasing bike roads and a car owner also I can say car drivers are higly intolerant and uneducated (in trafic) and don't handle bike rider situations as they should, sort of a king of the road complex. My city is 3/4 flat and with the awfull traffic I get to the city and my work twice faster on my bike, I've always been riding bikes and in my neighborhood it's really common, we also have an nice lake nearby where everybody goes often especially over the weekends. One lap around the lake is 6km so even a couple of laps is a nice workout and stress relief.
(click to show/hide)

Basically couldn't imagine my life without a bike  :mrgreen:
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Spurdospera

• Earl
  • Renown: 315
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spurdo...
  • IRC nick: Spurdo
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 03:20:48 am »
+4
Yes, because it was the cyclists fault here right and not the car that almost ran him over AT A CROSSING?
Actually it´s a bit more complicated than that here in Finland. Bicycles count as vehicles, thus they must follow the same rules as any other vehicles while driving. Crossing does not give cyclist right to go first by default. In that videos situation it´s hard to say which is right since cyclist is TURNING left(turning vehicles will give way to vehicles not turning unless indicated otherwise), thus he must give way to cars. In the other hand cyclist is approaching from RIGHT and he does not have that triangle to indicate that he´d have to give way... so he would be right to go first. I read the manual about this again, cyclist must ALWAYS give way to cars when using crossing unless otherwise indicated to car driver with signs.

Laws considering cyclists using those crossings are outdated and messy at best in Finland. Usually safest way to do crossing is just getting off your bicycle, thus making you a pedestrian who has always priority.

Yeah thats definitely all on the car driver, the guy even clearly signals that he's about to turn.
Does not matter, car has priority.
(click to show/hide)
that sign is one of these two, left one means "road has priority, every road that connects this road have not". Right one means that priority ends. Basically it just means that those on priority road won´t give way to those connecting to it, including cyclists since they count as vehicle.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:19:02 am by Spurdospera »
Quote from: Mortemer
spurdo is as useless as my hat.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 04:11:56 am »
+1
If I was that cyclist I wouldn't really care too much about what the road sign said or the laws dictate. Me versus a moving car is not a battle I'm going to win.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 05:19:23 am »
It's HORRIBLE. However, different cities and states in the United States are drastically different. I've been to smaller cities in cooler climates where most of the population or at least half seems to bike. I wish everyone rode bikes, but most people drive cars, and it's a harsh world for a cyclist. They operate on schedules that assume you can drive everywhere, to the point that my bosses are trying to pressure me into buying a second car.

Yeah the US is all over the place, most major cities have at least rudimentary bike paths but anywhere else you're that one fuckin' weirdo who must be out to prove a point because they're riding a bike on the road, good lord!

The best thing about bikes is that you can still drive them whilst being incredibly drunk

I don't know if this is national or state law but at least around here you can get a DUI for biking drunk. Biking sober is enough of a death wish as it is. I mainly cycle for pleasure in the evening and at night. Stick to side roads or smooth sidewalks where you won't see another soul for miles. Late enough at night, even main roads will be empty and you can pedal wherever the hell you want to. I don't wear a helmet because I'm dumb and the wind feels good, man. One night I'm going to get hit-and-run smeared and I will vanish from these forums without a trace.  :|

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far