Author Topic: Ideas for Tweaks to Improve Strategus for Everyone  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Ideas for Tweaks to Improve Strategus for Everyone
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »
+19
Think we can come up with some good adn creative ideas to make this strategus as enjoyable as the old one.  Some of the benefits of the older version was more battles with people showing up on both sides even though 1/3rd as many people playing strategus actively back then, more clans had fiefs and massive alliances were end-stage not something that happened after the first week, landless clans had more room to do something and be active participants.

1.  Make map larger

2.  Make your capital city/village produce doubled resources for all clan members (this means clans with one village get the exact same extra bonus as a clan with 10 villages and helps smaller clans relatively)

3.  Make new ways to produce troops (maybe have villages accumulate soldiers to be transferred (similar to the very early part of first version of strategus) but at a very slow rate like 1 every 3 hours instead of 1 an hour (less need to constantly harass/cajole clanmates and micromanange troop accumulation through recruiting)(also would make early stage village taking harder as they have more troops, would be nice if they got slightly better gear in the number of the troops the village has as neutral).
 - OR allow you to convert 10 village population into 1 soldier so if you convert 300 into 30 you leave the village less defensible for a short while but at the tradeoff getting   more troops. (10 for 1 rather than 1 for 1 would solve some of the issues of last strat bu still allow decent troop accumulation so more real fights)

4.  Have tourneys at randomly created locations like in single-player where people can gather for a large free-for-all scrimmage being an entry fee of 1000 strategus gold and the last survivor of the scrimmage gets 70% of the entry fees and 2nd place gets 30%  OR allow anyone to host a scimmage in their capital and holder of the event gets 10% of entry fees and 1st place gets 65%, 2nd palce gets 25%.  Allow small but skilled clans to accumulate large amounts of gold even though landless.

5.  Allow players to link themselves to clanmates so they can travel in bands like in single player where if they are attacked all the groups troops and equipment is used (there are risks and benefits involved in this).  This could MASSIVELY cut down on the micromanagement if 1 person could transfer all the troops, gold, and equipment for the whole group similar to the transfer system if you own a fief and can transfer in your own name as well.  Also, if you as leader of the band enter a village to recruit, every other member of the band automatically enters the village to recruit as well.

6.  Sounds liek chadz had already emntioned this - but allow you to buy improvements on your fiefs that offer substantial benefits (walls, mills, schools, etc.) so clans would focus more on developing and improving the villages they have rather than mass accumulating in order to maximize clan recruitment rates.

All these ideas should be realtively easy to implement.  Would appreciate any ideas that would not be too burdensome to chadz and company but could make the gamea  whole lot more enjoyable for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:54:00 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Tweaks to Improve Strategus for Everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:01:17 pm »
+1
Make it so people not in clans can still have fun and a purpose.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »
+1
all good ideas Kesh

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:41:22 pm »
I support all these ideas. Now to wait another year to actually see some notable changes in Strat (other than battles)... we can only hope.

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:37:14 pm »
Make it so people not in clans can still have fun and a purpose.
That's already coded.  Join a clan.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:48:08 am »
Cool ideas. +1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Merten

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • "Well, Pikes are evil ... repeat ... e-v-i-l ..."
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Company
  • Game nicks: Company_Merten_Stallmeister
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 01:57:02 am »
... bleh ...

Offline Mannhammer

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Only War is Eternal
    • View Profile
    • Forty Thousand Years In The Future
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »
All good ideas that would add depth to the game. My favorite:
6.  Sounds liek chadz had already mentioned this - but allow you to buy improvements on your fiefs that offer substantial benefits (walls, mills, schools, etc.) so clans would focus more on developing and improving the villages they have rather than mass accumulating in order to maximize clan recruitment rates.

Addition to this idea. Allow raids on fiefs to raze these structures.  :twisted: bwahaHaHAHAHA

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:58:36 pm »
+4
5.  Allow players to link themselves to clanmates so they can travel in bands like in single player where if they are attacked all the groups troops and equipment is used (there are risks and benefits involved in this).  This could MASSIVELY cut down on the micromanagement if 1 person could transfer all the troops, gold, and equipment for the whole group similar to the transfer system if you own a fief and can transfer in your own name as well.  Also, if you as leader of the band enter a village to recruit, every other member of the band automatically enters the village to recruit as well.

I really like this idea, even though I would simplify and modify it a bit. The primary complaint from (individual) people in Strategus is that without a clan, their existence is pointless. Therefore I suggest this:

Allow free roaming players - no matter if of the same clan, different clan, no clan - to form (War)bands. These are essentially groups of people, moving and fighting as units for a limited amount of time.

Forming:
Players join or form a group on the Strat map by being in close proximity to each other. As soon as a player is in a group, his Strat player figure, his troops, gold and equipment are all  joined in a pool and attached to the group until the time the player leaves the group (upon which he will receive his stuff back).

Acting:
Each group has a leader and moves in unison. The leader of the band is the "captain of the ship" and can move the group, attack, appoint a different leader and disband the group. When the band attacks somebody/something, the cumulative troops, gold and equipment available to the band is being used. If a fief is captured, the group leader can assign the ownership.

Disbanding:
Once a group has fulfilled its goals, the group can disband, join another group or individual members can leave. On to new shores bands!

Other possible additions, like a shared group gold account that every group member can pay into or loot distribution between group members can be discussed at a later point.

Benefits:
This system would provide great advantages to clanless players and even clans to share resources, coordinate attacks and generally become meaningful in Strat.

TL;DR: create Warbands in Strat!!
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:00 am »
+1
I really like this idea, even though I would simplify and modify it a bit. The primary complaint from (individual) people in Strategus is that without a clan, their existence is pointless. Therefore I suggest this:

Allow free roaming players - no matter if of the same clan, different clan, no clan - to form (War)bands. These are essentially groups of people, moving and fighting as units for a limited amount of time.

Forming:
Players join or form a group on the Strat map by being in close proximity to each other. As soon as a player is in a group, his Strat player figure, his troops, gold and equipment are all  joined in a pool and attached to the group until the time the player leaves the group (upon which he will receive his stuff back).

Acting:
Each group has a leader and moves in unison. The leader of the band is the "captain of the ship" and can move the group, attack, appoint a different leader and disband the group. When the band attacks somebody/something, the cumulative troops, gold and equipment available to the band is being used. If a fief is captured, the group leader can assign the ownership.

Disbanding:
Once a group has fulfilled its goals, the group can disband, join another group or individual members can leave. On to new shores bands!

Other possible additions, like a shared group gold account that every group member can pay into or loot distribution between group members can be discussed at a later point.

Benefits:
This system would provide great advantages to clanless players and even clans to share resources, coordinate attacks and generally become meaningful in Strat.

I really like this.  Good way to keep track of your stuff for joining and leaving is have a percentage value of all gold (including equipment sale value) you bring in as a percentage of the total and when you leave you get the same percentage, same thing with troops.  So if you are a very successful raiding party, everyone can split up afterwards and enjoy the spoils to the extent they contributed.  Would make raids a LOT more common as non-fiefed individuals coudl far mroe easily raid fiefs for gold.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
great ideas kesh.  i like the improvements idea.

I wanted to add as well chadz talked about engineering by using resources so you can make things (goods to be sold or equipment to be used).  I'd also like to see in battle engineers who can repair walls with construction equipment (or something similar).  Also I think after a castle has been destroyed in a battle (i.e. some of the walls brought down).  The people who take over the castle should either have to repair it (with costs of resources and gold), or should have to wait a certain time before it's fully repaired.  And if the new owners are attacked immediately then the walls should still be down or only raised slightly.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:09:40 pm »

Forming:

Acting:

Disbanding:

Benefits:

Really cool idea.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 12:32:44 am »

Forming:

Acting:

Disbanding:

Benefits:

I hate to be the asshole, but I really don't see how this is all that different from converging at one point and just giving everything to one guy. Then having him use it as needed and redistribute after things are done. The only real difference I see is that it doesn't have any trust or high level cooperation requirements. Which is probly going to prevent it from getting added to Strategus.

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 02:12:03 am »
I hate to be the asshole, but I really don't see how this is all that different from converging at one point and just giving everything to one guy. Then having him use it as needed and redistribute after things are done. The only real difference I see is that it doesn't have any trust or high level cooperation requirements. Which is probly going to prevent it from getting added to Strategus.

Because coordinating things over a couple of days with people in many different timezones is a huge pain in the ass? Not to mention that it helps alleviate the "just give everything to one guy and let him do everything" aspect that is so prevalent in strategus. Also you can't see which direction people are moving unless they are in your own clan so trying to coordinate people from different clans/no clans, fuggetaboutit.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet