Author Topic: Best Ancient / Medieval Military History Movies: I'll start...  (Read 32461 times)

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
Re: Best Ancient / Medieval Military History Movies: I'll start...
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2011, 03:08:07 am »
The movie "Waterloo" mentioned above is one of my all-time favourites, although not exactly what the original thread aimed at (Ancient/Medieval).

I was quite disappointed from "Troy", I have to admit (not only because of Brad Pitt). If you watch the movie without knowing the "historical" background, you get the impression that the siege only took ten days instead of ten years...  :?

"Rome" was quite cool IMHO, althoug lacking large-scale battle scenes.
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2011, 08:36:08 am »
I was quite disappointed from "Troy", I have to admit (not only because of Brad Pitt). If you watch the movie without knowing the "historical" background, you get the impression that the siege only took ten days instead of ten years...  :?

You're aware that the siege of Troy was fictional anyways?  :D It's Greek mythology....

The movie isn't completely faithful to the mythology, true.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2011, 10:40:59 am »
You're aware that the siege of Troy was fictional anyways?  :D It's Greek mythology....

So, so Hercules is not real either?

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2011, 11:37:38 pm »

I'm absolutely aware of that, thats why I wrote "historical"; kinda lacked the correct expression. However, I had preferred if they had tried harder to stick with the Ilias... The city walls do not look too impressive either.... I remeber one of those old movies from the 60s or so where the walls were truely huge.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:39:42 pm by ReBa1918 »
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

Offline Tyrell

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Tyrell, Prince Aegon, Date_Masamune
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »
So, so Hercules is not real either?
Next you'll tell me Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real....
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

LIBERNATE

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 01:08:03 am »
I met a man named Santa once.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 01:19:13 am »
Watching Jodha Akbar. It's a bollywood movie about one of the Mughal emperors. Has some good battle scenes in it with elephants ect. Here's the battle of Panipat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BloCPGWQvv8

No subs or anything sorry! So you'll have to fast forward to the fighting  :P Starts at 2mins or so. You get some spamitar action in there as well  :wink:

Plus any movie that has Aishwarya Rai in is perfectly watchable for me :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qhkBTGE_Wo (main girl in that).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:29:43 am by Overdriven »

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »
Plus any movie that has Aishwarya Rai in is perfectly watchable for me :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qhkBTGE_Wo (main girl in that).

I'll second that shit.  I had forgotten to put The Last Legion on my list.  Aishwarya Rai's in that one as a badass bodyguard/assassin.  Pretty damn good fight scenes as well.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462396

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 11:16:13 pm »

What the fuck?

You KNOW that the siege of Troy happened right?I mean, I doubt that they made a Giant Horse from wood and tricked the Tojans, but they definately besieged Troy.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2011, 12:30:57 am »
What the fuck?

You KNOW that the siege of Troy happened right?I mean, I doubt that they made a Giant Horse from wood and tricked the Tojans, but they definately besieged Troy.

Ahahaha. Based on what?

"The ancient Greeks thought that the Trojan War was a historical event that had taken place in the 13th or 12th century BC, and believed that Troy was located in modern-day Turkey near the Dardanelles. By modern times, both the war and the city were widely believed to be non-historical. In 1870, however, the German archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann excavated a local site that he had identified as Troy; this claim is now accepted by most scholars.[1][2] Whether there is any historical reality behind the Trojan War is an open question. Many scholars believe that there is a historical core to the tale, though this may simply mean that the Homeric stories are a fusion of various tales of sieges and expeditions by Mycenaean Greeks during the Bronze Age. Those who believe that the stories of the Trojan War are derived from a specific historical conflict usually date it to the 12th or 11th centuries BC, often preferring the dates given by Eratosthenes, 1194–1184 BC, which roughly corresponds with archaeological evidence of a catastrophic burning of Troy VIIa.[3]"

The ancient Greeks thought it happened 1200 BC or so  :D It's called Greek MYTHOLOGY for a reason. Or are you going to claim that Hades, Zeus and Hercules are real too?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:34:41 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2011, 10:51:50 am »
basicaly the german trader with a soul of an archeologist was right. He found the spot. There was more Troys (cities) in the same location in time. Probably burned/ rebuilded many times. Schliemann  was writing about Troy 7 if I remeber it right.

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2011, 06:58:40 pm »
+1
This is a huge topic and an interesting one that there is alot of conflicting information on. 
No way to put everything into one post without it being a massive wall of text, but there is another historical view out there that hasn't caught much attention.  Mainly because mainstream historians have already bought and sold the idea that Troy was in Turkey (the site is now called Troia, in a city renamed Truva by the Turkish government) and this has been taught over the last many years as 'truth'.

However, there has been more 'evidence' that Troy may have very well been in Cornwall.  And the "Achaeans" very possibly may have not been Greeks, but Celts that inhabited that part of Greece during that era.  And hence part of the reason that it is known as Greek Mythology, since Greeks derived most of their mythology directly handed down from the Celts.

It's wild, I know, but there are some pretty strong indicators that point to this.
- Early Greeks of that time weren't strong enough or unified enough to field a massive army or fleet of that size.
- The terrain around Cornwall matches the accounts that speak of a lush, wet climate (rather than the arid, dry climate of Turkey)
- The number of rivers that ran thru and around Troy, match the number of rivers spoken about in the stories.
- The fact that the Celts needed tin for their bronze, which Cornwall was overly abundant in.
- Massive amounts of Celtic influence all around Cornwall that still exists today proves they were in fact there.
- Accounts of a "Brutus of Troy," a descendant of the Trojan hero "Æneas" and according to the Historia Regum Britanniae say he was the legendary founder and first king of Britain.
- In a borrow found at Trelowarren (which is in Cornwall), there are ancient monuments made of clay and stone, of Hector and Patroclus.

And there is a lot, lot more that I can’t remember.  Been awhile since I’ve read any of the books on that, but it was definitely interesting stuff.  They go on to talk about the differences between the seas that were crossed, and the accounts of the return home from Troy and how a return voyage from Cornwall matched the geography so much more, etc, etc.  And some interesting archeological findings in various places along the route.

But this is already turning into a “tldr” kinda thing so I’ll shut it down for now.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I've heard that before. It is very interesting. I believe one of the biggest talking points for it was the fact that Med Island geography doesn't match any accounts of the journey back from Troy. Whilst the islands on the route from Cornwall match the geography perfectly. Of course such accounts are mostly story telling. But you take what sources you can  :) Such a location would certainly make far more sense from the mythological pov.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:22:25 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2011, 04:24:38 am »
Watching Jodha Akbar. It's a bollywood movie about one of the Mughal emperors. Has some good battle scenes in it with elephants ect. Here's the battle of Panipat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BloCPGWQvv8

No subs or anything sorry! So you'll have to fast forward to the fighting  :P Starts at 2mins or so. You get some spamitar action in there as well  :wink:

Do I get this right? - First both, team orange and team black, send in their infantry, and once the melee has started both teams send in their masses of elephants, and the elephants only kill the enemy soldiers?

And there is a guy who is using his bow in melee, covered by a few bodyguards who form a ring around him? And this ring is moving rather freely to a melee which is kind of "scattered" all over the place by duelling pairs, so that it rather reminds on a prom with pairs everywhere than on a melee where you try to hold your line and stick to your mates?

I'll second that shit.  I had forgotten to put The Last Legion on my list.  Aishwarya Rai's in that one as a badass bodyguard/assassin.  Pretty damn good fight scenes as well.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462396

Sorry, but in my eyes this is one of the worst historic movies ever. Colin Firth playing in any other genre than romantic comedies is a complete miscast, and when I see sexy women killing soldiers I always want to cry from the pain in my head. Next to the fact that I don't like fights where you see some kind of "choreography" which makes the heroes always look like they have the black belt in movie-Karate. And wasn't that the movie with this one guy and his incredibly gay golden mask?

Of course tastes are different, and I don't want to offend you, but if someone recommends a movie for being a good historic one, and it's the same one I always use as a really bad example for historic movies, then I have to say something.

In my eyes hitoric movies should stick close to realism and history to be "good" historic movies. Everything else is just entertainment. Like "King Arthur", which in my eyes is very similar to "The last Legion". Concerning both the setting and the quality. The best part in "The last Legion" were the Goths at the beginning, the best part in "King Arthur" was Stellan Skarsgard as Saxon King. Screw the rest.

Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Skysong

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Skysong
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2011, 09:59:54 am »
There is a lot of lush and wet teritories in Turkey even in western part. People look at summer holiday advertisements and think that Turkey only has that climate. (Or worse they belive Turkey is some desert country because it's muslim.)

I don't say that Troy is real or it is located here or there btw. I wouldn't care if Troy was actualy located in China and Greeks were Siberian.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:02:02 am by Skysong »