Author Topic: Dev Blog #4 Battle Maps  (Read 17175 times)

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Blog #4 Battle Maps
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »
sling dlc confirmed :)

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2016, 10:39:45 pm »
So what sort of size will this Conquest map be? Will we be able to quickly build Castle etc? Like in the first proposed Stronghold?

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2016, 12:25:28 pm »
So what sort of size will this Conquest map be? Will we be able to quickly build Castle etc? Like in the first proposed Stronghold?
Well I think you answered your self..

Conquest and Stronghold seem to be different gamemodes, I guess the maps are nearly equaly huge since they showed a map preview of Conquest in this dev blog.
Stronghold needs ressources to build stuff,
Conquest seems to use some sort of ticket system as ressources they didn't said something about different stuff so this is kinda more fast action.. Also a maptime from around 30-60minutes neither sound like a long term castlebuilding gamemode to me..
Also as you can see in the blog each area it self is not that huge in relation to the whole map so I guess they stick to small fortified villlages mostly.. (I might be wrong but realy looks like it)

Offline Kortkort

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Shortshorts, Who_likes_Shortshorts, Jihad_Jane
  • IRC nick: Shortshorts
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2016, 01:04:59 am »
+1
"If they add ninjas". That is a pretty huge if  :lol:
(click to show/hide)

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2016, 05:24:26 am »
+1
Does conquest not still revolve around resources and building? I guess that's disappointing, since the "Age of Empires" concept sounded fun and was solid gold from a marketing perspective.

I think the reinforcement system would make the most sense if only connected zones count toward tickets and you can only spawn at an edge that is controlled and connected. As well as being realistic in terms of a supply chain, being able to spawn at the edges even adjacent to enemy territory balances out the long path, offering quicker reinforcements, vs the short path, which offers more strategic choice.

How will teams be protected from feeders? Will everyone have access to the whole supply of team tickets or will supply be distributed fairly or managed to favour certain types of play?

Have you thought about making a random map generator for conquest? In the video it looks like you want to take a boardgame approach where the maps are built on the same template, but I feel like maps get boring faster in point capture games and it's important to have variety in the way the zones are set up.

Jacko mentions that conquest maps need to be more open than other types of map. Why is that?

Great to hear you're focused on realistic combat, I really didn't expect you'd try to make big changes on that front, but it sounds conceptually promising and I can see you've done a lot of work there. I hope it works out in-game.

I'm a little concerned that cavalry combat is being implemented after infantry combat rather than growing organically alongside, since after you feel you've perfected infantry, you might be reluctant to make necessary changes.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2016, 10:25:15 am »
Maybe not huge castles, but small fortifications would sure be nice, with maybe a limited amount of resources, so that it's not overused

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2016, 10:26:46 am »
It's only for alpha phase anyway so we can test the combat.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2016, 10:57:38 am »
It's only for alpha phase anyway so we can test the combat.

That's a very good point you make