Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 43532 times)

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:16 am »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 01:59:17 am »
+1
Well for me when it comes to Morrowind vs Skyrim/Oblivion it's definitively about the atmosphere of the games.

Even though it plays like ass at times, I get way more immersed in Morrowind than the others. The world truly feels like a crapsack world that you'd want to save, and the main storyline is actually interesting.

Take the main villains for example. In Morrowind the main antagonist is driven by personal desire for power, with the world and his actions fueled and shaped by political intrigue. In both Oblivion and Skyrim on the other hand, you get the classic "For the Evulz!" villains, with both their roles as villains not really having any further explanation other than being self-evident ("the World-Eater" and "the Prince of Destruction" aren't really the kind of dudes you'd invite to your party).

Oblivion: Mr McGuffin dies, enabling "the Prince of Destruction" to go fuck shit up. Which he does because he's the prince of destruction.

Skyrim: The World-Eater awakens... To eat the world.

???Tes VI: Shit's fucked.???

Sure the game doesn't have fast travel which can be annoying, but that annoyance is imho an acceptable sacrifice for the complete rags-to riches gameplay and storyline experience that the game provides:

In Morrowind, when you start of you'll get molested by a couple of Mudcrabs, but at the end of it you'll be able to punch out a god. Oh, and jump over oceans (fast travel!). Early game Morrowind is much harder than IV/V, while the late game offers more mucking around and ridiculous stuff. Oblivion's leveling system was horrible, and Skyrim sure did fix that, but you're still playing handheld and on a leash.

I'm not saying that I think Morrowind is per se better then the later tes games; that would be a lie. But it does have it's merits, and if you haven't tried it I think you should! Oh, and bashing Oblivion aside; the Shivering Isles was awesome.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:55 am »
Beta iz soon here. I belive like many others that eventually TES online will be free2play. The lameburger combat that got shown in the vids wont probably allow potential players to settle for any less. Seemed like the same crap that every MMO these days has. And the awesome TES lore and new made-up world alone aint worth 60€ or something...which these games normally go for at first.

Its all about keeping the grind interesting. And combat is the key.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:14:44 pm by TiberiusX »

Offline GreasySausageSandwhich

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Flint_Beastwood, GreasySausageSandwhich, NFL_QB_AaronRodgers, etc.
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2013, 10:16:32 pm »
+1
As a huge elder scrolls fan, I was extremely skeptical about this game.  Beta is changing my mind, though.  This game surprises me.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2013, 12:57:52 am »
+1
As a huge elder scrolls fan, I was extremely skeptical about this game.  Beta is changing my mind, though.  This game surprises me.

You're in the beta? Tell us more.

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2013, 01:16:41 am »
+1

Pic or it never happened! :D

Some of the leaked video's shows beta in horrible view.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2013, 08:00:27 am »
+1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c7nOqQcejMU

20 mins of gameplay, watch it before it's taken down

Comment on the video: crosshair + softlocking is the same as fucking tab target, -1 for ESO there

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2013, 10:04:11 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)

This is different from million other MMOs how exactly? Looked like the usual MMO boring shit to me. And the hitdetection was godawful, atleast from that vid.And the armors and chars wherent so nicely detailed and modeled like in skyrim etc. Infact they looked pretty shit, but mybe thats just a betathing..thou I would have placed it more as an alphathing. The tabtargetthing is a bad move imo aswell,

Why would a company that has produced practically revolutionary singleplayer games for years now, decide to waste cash on a multiplayer version of one of their franchises. I will never get. It did seemed like an oblivious approach for years now yes, but frankly from the vid it seems more like a LOTR Online approach was taken. Which is lame.

PS: Vibe, and just when I tought you couldnt fine a worse gif for you sig, than that icecream thing :D...you find this............
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:09:03 am by TiberiusX »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:24 am »
This is different from million other MMOs how exactly? Looked like the usual MMO boring shit to me. And the hitdetection was godawful, atleast from that vid.And the armors and chars wherent so nicely detailed and modeled like in skyrim etc. Infact they looked pretty shit, but mybe thats just a betathing..thou I would have placed it more as an alphathing. The tabtargetthing is a bad move imo aswell,

It's not really that different from your generic MMO. What hitdetection are you talking about, btw? It's softlocked :p
Also people say the graphics aren't on max.

Why would a company that has produced practically revolutionary singleplayer games for years now, decide to waste cash on a multiplayer version of one of their franchises. I will never get. It did seemed like an oblivious approach for years now yes, but frankly from the vid it seems more like a LOTR Online approach was taken. Which is lame.

Money ofc (: People are going to jump on the "SKYRIM MMO omfg take my money" bandwagon just like they did on SWTOR.

PS: Vibe, and just when I tought you couldnt fine a worse gif for you sig, than that icecream thing :D...you find this............

you're welcome

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2013, 10:32:54 am »
+5
How do people even play MMOs? How isn't it physically painful? You take away all the cool stuff from single player because you can't let /everyone/ be supa powerful and cool and change the world, and instead add storyline where you have no influence and shit graphics and even worse combat. Why? Whyyyyyyy? What's the point of grind either? Millions of people are doing the same shit and you can't be any more powerful than them and you won't have more influence or..

What? Why? My only response to this is to poison my mother and marry a horse. Good day Vibe, young fella me lad.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2013, 10:37:48 am »
Yes, the graphics are infact in low. This guy in the vid is really trying to make the game look as shit as possible. Just looked at Bethesdas gameplayvids. Still not as detailed as I expected but okay.

By hitdetection I ment, you get this blockingthingy, that you use at correct timing, but the enemies still hit you when their blade is like 5 meters away from you, what is the point. The combat is still this lame softlocking thing where you just stand in one place and slash millions of hits. Even in the Bethesda gameplaytrailer. And there it said you can even join the massive PvP fights even when you are level 10 and "join the fun". By "fun" im quessing getting one shot by some lvl 100 motherfuckers fireball or arrow and respawning for same many times in a row, while the massivelyleveledplayers stand in one place and "fight". And by "fighting" it means standing one one place spamming abilities and attacks. Oh what joy it must be. :D

(click to show/hide)

I agree with you. In mmo-s lots of things just get stripped for the sake of you getting to play with some random group of people. MMOs dont imo give people a good gamingexperience, they just turn em into zombies. I for one dont belive that longtime MMOplayers are technically having fun. They are just addicted and its their daily routine.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:44:50 am by TiberiusX »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2013, 10:55:19 am »
+3
How do people even play MMOs? How isn't it physically painful? You take away all the cool stuff from single player because you can't let /everyone/ be supa powerful and cool and change the world, and instead add storyline where you have no influence and shit graphics and even worse combat. Why? Whyyyyyyy? What's the point of grind either? Millions of people are doing the same shit and you can't be any more powerful than them and you won't have more influence or..

What? Why? My only response to this is to poison my mother and marry a horse. Good day Vibe, young fella me lad.

This is why the old EQ/WoW format is severely outdated. The future is in sandbox MMOs. The first thing they need to do is dump the antiquated and shitty target-1-2-3-4-buff-debuff-DoT-nuke-tank-heal combat.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2013, 11:27:13 am »
+3
The truth is most MMO developers nowadays aren't trying to make a decent game that stands out of the crowd, they are just trying to cash in on the genre. So they take the easy route of your typical mind numbingly boring MMORPG where the only player "skill" involved is knowing what combination to push the ability keys in. Because making a combat system where everything is aimed by the player him/herself would result in more work to make the combat acceptable, which they wont do because they don't give a fuck, they will take the easy route and still cash in on Elder Scrolls fans.

I've been a fan myself since I was 8 years old ( When Arena was released ) and that might be the only reason I even let myself try this game out, but right now I think I probably won't bother at all because everything I've seen so far just makes it look like every other generic MMO bullshit. Guided attacks and hotkey combat type MMO's have NEVER been that fun, World of Warcraft always was boring and I didn't even make it to the end my two week trial out of boredom. Guild Wars 2 held me for a little while but only because of the customization within a class, still got bored of that pretty quickly.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2013, 11:39:33 am »
The truth is most MMO developers nowadays aren't trying to make a decent game that stands out of the crowd, they are just trying to cash in on the genre. So they take the easy route of your typical mind numbingly boring MMORPG where the only player "skill" involved is knowing what combination to push the ability keys in. Because making a combat system where everything is aimed by the player him/herself would result in more work to make the combat acceptable, which they wont do because they don't give a fuck, they will take the easy route and still cash in on Elder Scrolls fans.

I've been a fan myself since I was 8 years old ( When Arena was released ) and that might be the only reason I even let myself try this game out, but right now I think I probably won't bother at all because everything I've seen so far just makes it look like every other generic MMO bullshit. Guided attacks and hotkey combat type MMO's have NEVER been that fun, World of Warcraft always was boring and I didn't even make it to the end my two week trial out of boredom. Guild Wars 2 held me for a little while but only because of the customization within a class, still got bored of that pretty quickly.

This. It's quite sad tbh, the only non-generic MMORPGs that I can recall right now where you have to aim yourself (free aim) are Darkfall Unholy Wars and Fallen Earth :/

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »
darkfall.

all I have to say to any ESO conversion after watching that video.