Author Topic: Throwing... could you possibly make it any more useless?  (Read 22791 times)

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
Re: Throwing... could you possibly make it any more useless?
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2011, 05:35:00 pm »
I thought Throwing Lances were fine before the big throwing nerf, super inaccurate, slow, but at least they often 1 hit most players (Not always though, I survived a hit from one while in my sturdy robe.)
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:30 am »
I know the devs are pretty much ignoring us now but I think the main problem with throwing is that there is too much that conflicts. Half the things in place are there trying to force us to only use throwing in hybrid builds. The other half is punishing us for hybriding. It doesn't make any sense. If the devs don't want us to have powerthrow 9 or 10 then they should make it easier to hybrid. Wearing armor reduces wpf quite a bit. The recent change to damage made the midrange throwing weapons near useless against anyone with armor. The lowered stacks, while a good thing, mean we are now carrying twice the weight and getting hit with twice the repair cost for the better throwing weapons.

It's just not balanced, in the sense that there is too much conflicting when trying to plan a build. If I could make two suggestions, I'd say lower throwing weapon cost and weight a little bit to even out the slot reduction, and then take a look at weight effecting throwing wpf. The higher tier throwing weapons are just too heavy to carry 4 times, and way too expensive considering that we HAVE to use them in order to kill anyone with plate. It doesn't seem appropriate that weight should effect throwing as much as it does to archery, especially when it doesn't really effect x-bowers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:54:11 am by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #302 on: July 21, 2011, 08:09:28 am »
For the higher end throwing weapons I've just started playing with auto-repair turned off. This way, when my throwing spears or above break I only get 1/3 of the repair bill. It's serious a life saver moneywise.

I'm not sure how the game actually updates the repairs in regard to in game stats though. I could repair manually on the website right after something breaks, and obviously I have to use the -1 version of that weapon that round. But then next round it is repaired, at least on the site, but in game still displays the broken one. So I just stop bothering repairing mid map and just do it at the last round before a map change.

Otherwise the repair costs are just too fucking nuts.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 21, 2011, 08:21:12 am »
For the higher end throwing weapons I've just started playing with auto-repair turned off. This way, when my throwing spears or above break I only get 1/3 of the repair bill. It's serious a life saver moneywise.

I'm not sure how the game actually updates the repairs in regard to in game stats though. I could repair manually on the website right after something breaks, and obviously I have to use the -1 version of that weapon that round. But then next round it is repaired, at least on the site, but in game still displays the broken one. So I just stop bothering repairing mid map and just do it at the last round before a map change.

Otherwise the repair costs are just too fucking nuts.

People keep saying this works, I donno. I turned it off and it seemed to cause more problems then it solved. I had it off but my spears still broke twice in the same round, and then when I turned it back on it stopped working for a while even after restarting. Maybe it was just a fluke or something I don't know. Seems more trouble then it's worth.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 21, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
+1
If the lower tier throwing weapons can only kill some players, then why have or use them?
Because they are cheaper and you get more of them?
Its a tradeoff, cheap and more = less damage and no piercing
More damage and piercing = expensive and less

The most expensive weapon is not necessarily the best one. Pick the right tools for the right jobs.
Someone with a cheap bow will be good fighting other archers, but not good fighting plate. Someone with a heavy bow will be better against plate, but has a disadvantage against other archers.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »
Because they are cheaper and you get more of them?
Its a tradeoff, cheap and more = less damage and no piercing
More damage and piercing = expensive and less

The most expensive weapon is not necessarily the best one. Pick the right tools for the right jobs.
Someone with a cheap bow will be good fighting other archers, but not good fighting plate. Someone with a heavy bow will be better against plate, but has a disadvantage against other archers.

You don't really get more of them. With the exception of spears which have +1 per stack, throwing axes have the same amount per stack as jarids and javs. Lances you only get 1 per slot. They are cheaper though yeah.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #306 on: July 22, 2011, 10:39:06 am »
I prefer to use the war darts i allways had but with the current missile speed of throwing even war darts are useless since they move by the speed of a snail...

Even and afk player can dogde a war dart.

You have to litteretly stand 2 meters away from your target to have a chance to reach players with your war darts....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:48:52 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #307 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:11 pm »
I know the devs are pretty much ignoring us now but I think the main problem with throwing is that there is too much that conflicts. Half the things in place are there trying to force us to only use throwing in hybrid builds. The other half is punishing us for hybriding. It doesn't make any sense.

That's exactly it !!!
was planning on a 24/12 build but with 7PT and 127wpf in throwing, I'm already forced to wear no helmet or i don' t have enough wpf.
I'm wearing sarranid guard armor, wisby guntlet and splinted leather grieve over mail, it's only medium armor and i can't afford to wear an helmet that weight 1.3 .

So you can't have a build that is ok in melee with throwing as backup because you need to invest a lot of wpf in throwing. You can't be good as a pure thrower neither with no or very low melee wpf
because if you go higher than 7 PT you need to wear light armor and at 9PT you need to be nacked  :| .

You have to settle for being mediocre at melee and have low PT or have no wpf in melee but still be only mediocre at throwing with 7PT or 8PT with light armor.