Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 158368 times)

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:00 pm »
+5
Now, as a self confessed George R R Martin fanboy, I'd considered myself worthy of a frontline place in the angry mob which would descend on HBO if they scuffed this series up.  However, they did not, and instead I absurdly pleased.  I am as giddy as a schoolgirl at a Justin Beiber concert.

For those of you not in the know, 'Game of Thrones' is based on George R R Martin's Epic Adult Fantasy Series 'A Song of Ice and Fire'.  When I say Adult Fantasy, I relate that it is socially accurate to the time period it reflects, rather than being a contemporary or stylised adaptation.  Also, there is no 'Quest' or 'Dark Lord' or such.  The Story focuses around many different Houses struggling to protect or to claim the Iron Throne of Westeros.  It is a story that is not black and white.  Human beings are human beings, in that, they are not good, nor evil, they are always something in between.

The first two episodes have aired on Sky Atlantic, and I was curious to see if anyone else had watched them.  Personally I think they have done an astounding job.

Trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/embed/XfAE3hIaPm4
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:22:45 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:26:15 pm »
+1
I haven't watched it but if they are on sky Atlantic i will record them as it sounds pretty good.
Turtles

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »
+1
Always been on the fence with regards to the George R R Martin books. These two last episodes finally pushed me over, and i just bought myself the first book :)
 been the fan of books with one main character per book, but this just looks too good to pass.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:32:34 pm »
+1
i'm not fan of martin, but fan of his work. i'm worried that the old fart will die before he finishes the saga. have you seen movie "misery"?  :twisted:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Baron_Settmour

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: ISIS_Sterling_Archer, Fallen_Ragnvaldr
  • IRC nick: Varangian
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:39:50 pm »
+1
I read the books a couple of years back and was like, "This would make an awesome HBO series!" Someone freakin' got inside my head because they have put it on HBO just as I imagined. This series is the greatest thing since "Rome." That was an awesome series too.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:22:29 pm »
+1
are you from the states?
SUE THEM ALL!!!!!  :D

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:36:38 pm »
+2
I haven't watched it but if they are on sky Atlantic i will record them as it sounds pretty good.

What are you, stuck in the 90's? Use torrents for Pete's sake.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:40:25 pm »
+1
I think the show is awesome, atleast what Ive seen of it so far. (1st episode) As far as I know its available on most major torrent sites. (probably streamable somewhere too, but I bet you have to live in the right country or something, god I hate that crap)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 01:52:33 pm »
+1
Can't wait for Episode 3, things are really starting to get going already.

Oh yeah, I hate the little Prince, can't wait for him to get his ass whooped, well, I have no doubt he will get his ass whooped, he's just one of those characters.

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 02:00:49 pm »
+1
Acquiring the first episode now... :D

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:46 pm »
+1
hey, just finished the second episode. I'm absurdly pleased as well. And it drives me crazy cause parallel I re-read the books (currently A Storm Of Swords) in awaiting of June 12th. Cant wait for all the stuff to come on screen. well done so far.

btw here another thread i started when the 14 minutes teaser was released. http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,3617.0.html

oh, and also the 14 minutes preview linked in that thread is strongly recommended for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:30:29 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline BalrogBoru

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
  • High-King of the Celts
    • View Profile
    • [TNG] Túatha na nGael
  • Faction: Túatha na nGael
  • Game nicks: CuBalrog, Tuatha_BalorBoru, BalrogRoke
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »
+1
I've seen the first two episodes and I have to say it is equal both in it's epic awesomeness and it's accuracy. I love it and to anyone who is into fantasy it's a must see.
We are the free people! Túatha na nGeal! Abú!
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1773.0.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyx0K4WrElo

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 09:57:21 pm »
+1
I think its actually a pretty damn good adaption so far. it never would have worked as a film, and for a tv show its practically film quality. so no complaints.

if you haven't read the books it would still be a good watch. just good luck understanding it all since compared with books stuff really isn't explained at all. at times it feels the tv show is aimed at people who read the books since they seem to presume the audience knows stuff.

buy the first book and try reading it, no excuse unless you are a retard who doesn't like reading. cause the series is good but it will never be as good, and you will miss out on alot of the story, characters and general depth.

PS:

I dont have sky so I hackzor the links off some pirate's site so I can avoid that "please complete a survey" bullshit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:10:38 pm by Banok »

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »
+1
i'm not fan of martin, but fan of his work. i'm worried that the old fart will die before he finishes the saga. have you seen movie "misery"?  :twisted:

I heard his will commands all his manuscripts to be burnt should he expire before their publication.  However, it is worth noting that having something to live for is an incredible deterrent for natural death.  So long as his work remains unfinished, I think he will linger on.  Likely, once the last book is published, he will breathe a sigh of relief then promptly keel over.

Personally, since GoT is the only thing I desire to watch on sky, I torrent it.  Rather than having to bankrupt myself for a load of crap I don't need.  The makers will get my money when I buy the dvds.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:16:34 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 02:46:05 pm »
+1
if you haven't read the books it would still be a good watch. just good luck understanding it all since compared with books stuff really isn't explained at all. at times it feels the tv show is aimed at people who read the books since they seem to presume the audience knows stuff.

buy the first book and try reading it, no excuse unless you are a retard who doesn't like reading. cause the series is good but it will never be as good, and you will miss out on alot of the story, characters and general depth.

I dunno, I haven't really had trouble understanding any of it so far, seems pretty straightforward. I'll probably read the books at some point, but I'm not in a hurry, I've managed to live without them so far.  I have enough shit on my reading list.

Also, I dig the main theme. Epic strings and drums.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:15:23 pm by okiN »
Don't.