Author Topic: Battle: 3-Pronged Market thingy (Name pending)  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
Battle: 3-Pronged Market thingy (Name pending)
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:36:15 am »
Fierce fighting will take place on the central market district, with two alleyways used to flanking maneuvers. Just one more thing: watch your back.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
Re: Battle: 3-Pronged Market thingy (Name pending)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:01:32 am »
I like it.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:43:56 am »
Looks quite good. Are the roofs blocked or are they easily accessible?

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:51:34 pm »
Looks quite good. Are the roofs blocked or are they easily accessible?

The map isn't quite done. Such as the outline border is... well.. green. And the roofs are going to be blocked off due to their height. I'll be making more maps because this is just plain fun.

EDIT: Please keep in mind that this is indeed my first official map. Don't be too tough  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:00:20 pm by Reinhardt »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:39 pm »
A tip for next time: select desert in the terrain generator if you want to do a desert map. It will not place those green tints all over the terrain, then.

Maybe you should try to blend some village texture over the sand inside the village.

Also, is this supposed to be an arabian prison of sorts? Because I don't see a town gate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:06:51 pm by zagibu »
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:21 pm »
A tip for next time: select desert in the terrain generator if you want to do a desert map. It will not place those green tints all over the terrain, then.

Maybe you should try to blend some village texture over the sand inside the village.

Also, is this supposed to be an arabian prison of sorts? Because I don't see a town gate.

1. thank you

2. thank you

3. You got me :o (Actually no, I added a gatehouse when I realized my stupidity the first time. The updated map is on the temporary Crusaders of Acre server.)

EDIT: I use Kong Ming's quick editor, so how do i fix those green spots from there?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:47:03 pm by Reinhardt »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:55:06 am »
I don't think you can fix them without generating new terrain, sadly. This problem can also pop up if you use plains or forest as base terrain, then add large patches of village or path texture, which can look fugly with green or brown tints baked in the terrain. I tried to color those spots with complementary colors to get white (no tint) again, but I never managed to make it disappear completely, just make it a bit less obvious. You can try painting a magenta color over the green tints, maybe it will help.

Another big problem with pregenerated terrain are some kinds of vegetation. Namely, the bigger kind. Grass, you can remove by painting textures over. Trees or bushes, not. That's why in some of my maps there are bushes in the middle of a plaza. In Greipenfurt castle, one bush was enraging me so much that I lowered it into a small pit and covered it with a boxing ring.

The only way you can completely get rid of this problem that i know of is by starting with completely flat snow terrain, then shaping the terrain, painting tints+textures, and placing vegetation all by hand. It's a hell of a pain, though. Also, I'm not sure if placing vegetation by hand results in the map running at lower fps, which could very well be possible.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 01:00:44 am »
I don't think you can fix them without generating new terrain, sadly. This problem can also pop up if you use plains or forest as base terrain, then add large patches of village or path texture, which can look fugly with green or brown tints baked in the terrain. I tried to color those spots with complementary colors to get white (no tint) again, but I never managed to make it disappear completely, just make it a bit less obvious. You can try painting a magenta color over the green tints, maybe it will help.

Another big problem with pregenerated terrain are some kinds of vegetation. Namely, the bigger kind. Grass, you can remove by painting textures over. Trees or bushes, not. That's why in some of my maps there are bushes in the middle of a plaza. In Greipenfurt castle, one bush was enraging me so much that I lowered it into a small pit and covered it with a boxing ring.

The only way you can completely get rid of this problem that i know of is by starting with completely flat snow terrain, then shaping the terrain, painting tints+textures, and placing vegetation all by hand. It's a hell of a pain, though. Also, I'm not sure if placing vegetation by hand results in the map running at lower fps, which could very well be possible.

Ah, thank you very much for the info.

PS: Lol, that's why the boxing ring is there? Lol'ed when I read that.

Offline Mustikki

• Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:24 am »
You can manual change your terrain code. If you have done the background as plain and want it to be desert, change the following number from 3 (plain) to 5 (desert).

0x00000000500005000002308c00007b5400001acd00003ac1

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:00:13 pm »
I doubt that will remove the green tints, though...but it's certainly worth a try.