Author Topic: Helmet progression revision.  (Read 1068 times)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
Helmet progression revision.
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:15:07 pm »
+1
This will probably piss people off, but I'm posting in the realism section, so just think about it from that perspective for now.

Great helmets should provide the most head armor and weight the most. Armets and sallets should give high armor, but not as much as great helmets. Great helmets were the heaviest and offered the most protection. They would penalize your vision and head movement the most too.

I'm suggesting that the great helmets switch places with the high-tier non-great helmets, keeping the stats/prices the same, but switching the names and models.

Currently the helmet progression is based on chronological appearance, and not on the actual protection/weight of the helmets. Yes, armets and sallets were designed to glance blows, but the size, weight, and thickness of great helmets exceeds the former's sheer protectiveness.

*edit: Tourney helms should actually have the best armor, which would be good for armor crutcher humiliation haha.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:22:29 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Helmet progression revision.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:37:23 pm »
+2
I disagree.

Great helms had straight tops and sides.  Because of this they are more vulnerable to blunt and pierce attacks, having a greater chance to receive a blow perpendicular to the armor surface and thereby transferring more force to the soft melon within. :)

The curved shape of the armet and sallet were designed purposefully to deflect or redirect the force of a blow to the head....a greater chance to glance.  If you look at the armet it even has a little "shield" on the back of the neck to protect one of its weak points.  The milanese sallet and Weimar Helm have raised ridges along the top of the head, strengthening this weaker and likely point of attack as well. These helms represent a higher technological achievement and protect better!  If they did not, knights of the early renaissance would have chosen great helms instead.  The great helms were the best of their day, but they are just kind of like a big metal box. :)  A strong design, but not the best.

I do agree that great helms probably weighed more though.  In terms of visibility, I think the two are comparable.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:46:08 pm by Garison »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:45:27 pm »
double post..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:46:33 pm by Garison »

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:37:53 am »
Men at arms could have also found a need for a lighter helm with a visor and removable pieces due to the battlefield meta and social-status concerns. Part of the protection is in the weight of the helm, and the size of the great helm means that more padding could be placed inside, including a mail coif and smaller inner helm, the predecessor of the bascinet. Note that the sugarloaf helm does not have a straight top. I completely understand about the curved sides glancing blows, but I don't think it is enough to truly say that great helmets were less protective. If you have any sources relevant to this I'd be interested in reading them. I didn't read anything specific to verify the suggestion, but I gathered it indirectly from material and from SCA fighting where great helm users have trouble taking head shots because they can't feel the blows (yes, I understand sca combat doesn't really compare to reality lol).

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:16 pm »
WINGED GREAT HELMET BUFF

I WANT TO SURVIVE MORE HEADSHOTS

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:52:55 am »
+1
Armets and sallets should give high armor, but not as much as great helmets.

This is just historically not right.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »
+1
This is just historically not right.
Exactly. Armets are just superior technology compared to great helmets.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:51 pm »
+1
so are shotguns.
Turtles

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 12:20:45 pm »
And giant war lobsters. The winner of the battle could feast on them for days.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?