Author Topic: The art of throwing II  (Read 25861 times)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
Re: The art of throwing II
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:19:13 pm »
What about a thrower on horse?

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 12:34:45 pm »
I like being a nord cav in native, but in crpg; it seems like a risky investment. Though, it should be fun to try.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »
+2
What about a thrower on horse?
As one of the only active HTs I believe I can make a guide...

(click to show/hide)

Zlisch' Guide To Horse Throwing

Horse Throwing is rather inaccurate and the damage output has been nerfed from ground throwing, heavily, my advice to you is to pick one of the maneuverable horses, steppe horse is WAY better than a rouncey for low level HTing (when I say low level I mean lvl 24 or so, until you have a real build you should just have fun leeching, or lancing, or something). I heavily advice you either bring a throwing lance (if you got 7pt) or a warspear with your gear selection, otherwise you'll be unable to do shit to HAs you've dismounted, same thing with normal archers, my tactic with archers is to facehug them in melee mode and keep on stabbing them and if they change to their melee weapon then move out the way and shot shit at them, eventually they die.

Your targets and people you shouldn't bother with: Lancers are often really easy to take out if you know what you're doing and you're on the most maneuverable horse, most lancers are still easy targets if the horse is more maneuverable, but some can be a real pain if they ride a loomed Arabian and know how to dodge (they can catch you, and dodge you)... HAs should be your main target, they're soft and so     un-dodgy that your throwing accuracy is enough to hit them consistently, and they max take two throwing lances to kill, mostly one though... Archers are also good targets due to how you can just facehug them like I do, and due to riding a maneuverable horse you can turn just as fast as they can... Shielders should only be targeted if you have a clear shot at their back and you're 100% sure they're distracted... Melee players without shields can be shot at if you ride through a large crowd, but don't actually shot solo at a single one infront of you, all good ones will dodge it, and some will even camp the spot your throwing weapon hit so you can't pick it up...

I'd advice fighting lancers in a style were you ride up charging at them, throw your throwing weapon then turn for your life, you'll have a good enough speed bonus to nearly always oneshot this way (please note, I use throwing lances and 7pt).

Finally onto looting, the most important advice I can give you is ALWAYS loot your thrown weapons, if you use jarids or jav then wait 'till your target is dead or has ran, if you use throwing lances like me then if you're up against another cav get to the location as fast as possible after you've thrown, and you should NEVER bother aiming for the horse unless it's some speedy and dodgy guy on an arabian with a shield who will otherwise be able to hit and kill you.

I ain't got much advice on builds...

Hope this guide gave the info you needed, let me know if you got any questions besides why I haven't killed myself yet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:05:35 am by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:50:17 am »
Incidentally, how sure are you of that -10?  I think it's -7.

My suit:
2.7 head
17.2 torso
2.9 leg
0.3 hand
4 PT

Requires 103 wpf to pick up my heavy throwing axes.  I'm 99% sure that's accurate to the point because I set it by throwing an axe at the ground and adding points 1 at a time until I can pick it back up.  (Add one, click submit, check, loop.)

-7 would make it come out exactly right (rounded down).

I would hesitate to change your stated formula without at least 1 other definite data point, though.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:00 pm »
well if spawny agrees with me and is not just copying my data then i believe it is correct.

but did you get the message when you could pick them back up?
if ever you were rigth, 3 wpf difference isnt much and can be covered by wpf offered by leveling up

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »
Ok I have just retired yesterday and decided to go with a thrower/polearm build. I have experienced only two things, which can be an issue.

1-Most of the polearms tend to block my view, when they're on my back. This is especially true for awlpike and fork type of weapons. Are there any good pole weapons that don't do that? Or what do you do if you are pole/throw and get annoyed by that like me?

2-Slot system is a bit weird when it comes to picking up other weapons from the ground. Let's say I have started with 2 stacks of throwing axes and double sided lance (2 slot). I threw all of my axes and I'm out of ammo now. I see a javelin on the ground. I try to pick it up, my lance drops. I pick my lance, javelin drops. Since I have actually 2 slot left, I should be able to carry the javelin.

This doesn't be a problem when I leave enough slot left at the beginning. Let's say I had quarter staff (1 slot) and two stacks of throwing axes from the beginning. I see another throwing axe at the ground without throwing any. I pick it up, I have 7 axes (3 stacks) now. I threw it away, 6 left (2 stack again) and I will be available to pick anything as long as I have enough slot left.

Now that's a bit weird. It doesn't happen in any kind of mod for warband, including native. Why cRPG devs decided to do it that way? To nerf ranged classes a bit? If so, That's the weirdest nerf I've ever seen in a game.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »
I use a german poleaxe and i dont really get that problem, nothing terrible

oh yea thats the throwing bugs, I'll talk about that, I have to motivate myself on this  :)

Offline ObiWanKejoshi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kejoshi, ObiWanKejoshi, Speedy_Kejoshi
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 09:06:44 am »
2-Slot system is a bit weird when it comes to picking up other weapons from the ground. Let's say I have started with 2 stacks of throwing axes and double sided lance (2 slot). I threw all of my axes and I'm out of ammo now. I see a javelin on the ground. I try to pick it up, my lance drops. I pick my lance, javelin drops. Since I have actually 2 slot left, I should be able to carry the javelin.

Just put your melee-weapon always in the first (highest) slot. That should fix the bug.
Though you will still be paying repair costs for the empty throwing weapon stacks you are carrying...
Once you've thrown all your weapons you could just pick up a 2-slot weapon and drop it again, then you should have your melee weapon and 2 empty slots (assuming you put your melee weapon in the first slot).

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »
Just put your melee-weapon always in the first (highest) slot. That should fix the bug.
Though you will still be paying repair costs for the empty throwing weapon stacks you are carrying...
Once you've thrown all your weapons you could just pick up a 2-slot weapon and drop it again, then you should have your melee weapon and 2 empty slots (assuming you put your melee weapon in the first slot).
Thank you! It really works!

I think I am pretty good at aiming. Maybe I can make a short video which will cover some of my gameplay.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 10:36:36 pm »
i believe there is also a +4 PT limit that you can add to difficulty requirement of your weapon.
For example With heavy axes it's no use getting beyond 8 PT    4(difficulty) +4 = 8

24/15 is also nice and i don't consider it an hybrid:

Level 30

Strength : 24
Agility : 15
Ironflesh : 0
Power Strike : 5
Shield : 0
Athletics : 5
Riding : 0
Horse Archery : 0
Power Draw : 0
Power Throw : 8
Weapon Master : 5

With all wpf in throwing, cheap mail and throwing lance as melee weapon.
pro:
-Lots of stuff to throw
-high damage
-ok athletics
-throwing lance is ok at melee even with  0 wpf

con:
-way worse at melee than 21/18

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 10:54:50 pm »
i believe there is also a +4 PT limit that you can add to difficulty requirement of your weapon.
For example With heavy axes it's no use getting beyond 8 PT    4(difficulty) +4 = 8
This is for bows and PD I think. Other then that, good build :)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 05:33:41 am »
I'm currently trying this build on my troller STF:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 18
Hit points: 63

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 6
Athletics: 6
Power Throw: 6
Weapon Master: 6

Two Handed: 108
Throwing: 130

I feel pretty successful with it...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 01:55:09 am »
Hmm you guys know the archer sidestep trick against shielders? Well I noticed it works with throwing weapons as well :mrgreen:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:23 am »
Hmm you guys know the archer sidestep trick against shielders? Well I noticed it works with throwing weapons as well :mrgreen:
(click to show/hide)
You can jump forward and throw it to his head as well. Tested, works.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:06 am »
You can jump forward and throw it to his head as well. Tested, works.
Nice! I will try that next time when I play with my alt ^^