Author Topic: The ranking system is too unfriendly to new players  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: The ranking system is too unfriendly to new players
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:00 pm »
To illustrate the effect of 10 body armor difference, using the damage calculator. 7 PS, 120 wpf, 40c. Against 50 body armor it does an average of 15.5 damage, against 60 body armor it does 9.5 damage on average. That is a 39% damage reduction, just because you played the game longer than the other guy. Looms are simply a huge deal.

At least the devs realise that the current situation is not desirable, because they intend to make any mechanics like looms based on tradeoffs in le secret project.

Not saying you are wrong, but isnt the calculator based off estimations from a year ago?

I never trusted the damage calculator because it doesn't factor in weight of the weapon.  Which (I think) is a big deal when it comes to damage.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2013, 03:41:31 pm »
+3
Not saying you are wrong, but isnt the calculator based off estimations from a year ago?

I never trusted the damage calculator because it doesn't factor in weight of the weapon.  Which (I think) is a big deal when it comes to damage.

You're half right; cmp has said both damage calculators are wrong. Weight has no impact on weapon damage though, only on chance to give/receive block stun (it also affects chance to give/receive crushthrough, and chance to cause knockdown on those weapons).

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
I know what you guys are saying.

I don't want to start a war but why exactly then you suggest that we go play native?

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »
 I am actually pointing out what happens. Very nice of you to just outrule arguments with the irrelevant (or you are stupid) tag just for your convenience. while, even if I don't agree, I see that there can be problems with looms, you just go on theorycrafting and using stats like a politician (and outdated calculators apparently?).

For the gloves, its probably the fact that they forgot to nerf those with the rest...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:00:11 pm by Lactose_the_intolerant »

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:32 pm »
I don't want to start a war but why exactly then you suggest that we go play native?
Although this post was merely just about items, and that's what I spoke about.  I did not put levels into consideration.

I was taking the discussion as a "I want all items the same."  Not what you guys were saying about levels.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:58 pm »
It bothers me personally that I can't switch gear around all the time without having a notable effectivity drop and I think new players deserve some kind of catch-up system or starting bonus.

This is the important part for me. I don't care that much if looms take advantage over skill or not and it's honestly a silly discussion. But that the heirlooms I posses dictate my choice of items is a shame. Sure I can play with other items but if I make a 1h alt with 6PS and have one 1h loom why would I use another weapon? And even if it's true that a beginner isn't helpless because of the lack of loomed items it goes on top of that. This is not an easy game to learn why additionally give beginners small disadvantages (looms, lower level, no gen bonus)?

Sorry necro, I really don't get what it's got to with levels and items, whatever.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2013, 04:20:19 pm »
Sorry necro, I really don't get what it's got to with levels and items, whatever.

"All items are the same" = Native

That was my main reason, on to something else :p

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2013, 04:27:07 pm »
I am actually pointing out what happens. Very nice of you to just outrule arguments with the irrelevant (or you are stupid) tag just for your convenience. while, even if I don't agree, I see that there can be problems with looms, you just go on theorycrafting and using stats like a politician (and outdated calculators apparently?).

For the gloves, its probably the fact that they forgot to nerf those with the rest...
I am not outruling an argument as irrelevant to my convenience. You have to understand that you cannot balance on the basis of individual cases. You simply have to balance by average damage. Single cases are not representative of the whole. You might be stating what you notice, but for balance you have to use facts and the stats we have combined with formulas are the only facts. If you throw a 1000 MW javelin's and a 1000 normal javelins at the same target, you will get an average damage value which will show higher damage for the MW javelin. And the damage difference will almost equal the extra damage it should have according to the formula.

This game is borky sometimes, but not that borky. That I used outdated calculators is unfortunate, thanks for the info, but the difference between Archon's Armor and Black Armor makes my point hold I hope. Theorycrafting sure beats pumping out arguments based on gut feeling.

Offline sir_Ady

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Quincy_sir_Ady, Adyalt
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:05 pm »
Just an idea: why not create a special armoury for newbie players (for example main chars, 1-3 Gen, independent of level), just like those used by the clans?
Each player with multiple looms can throw in not used heirloom items. Each player whose items were borrowed let's say for 300 days in total (put 3 items, each borrowed for 100 days by different players..), gains a loompoint/special gear/gold/etc - well, exact rules can be found out later...

Problem solved, new players can have heirlooms (many heirlooms, can try out many items and choose the best ones for themselves), and no heirloom is to be removed...

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
Just an idea: why not create a special armoury for newbie players (for example main chars, 1-3 Gen, independent of level), just like those used by the clans?
Each player with multiple looms can throw in not used heirloom items. Each player whose items were borrowed let's say for 300 days in total (put 3 items, each borrowed for 100 days by different players..), gains a loompoint/special gear/gold/etc - well, exact rules can be found out later...

Problem solved, new players can have heirlooms (many heirlooms, can try out many items and choose the best ones for themselves), and no heirloom is to be removed...

Maybe just add a section in market to "Rent" looms for a certain amount a day.  I like the idea though so I'll give you credit for that.  Not saying this would "Balance" things but I like the idea nonetheless.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »
I am not outruling an argument as irrelevant to my convenience. You have to understand that you cannot balance on the basis of individual cases. You simply have to balance by average damage. Single cases are not representative of the whole. You might be stating what you notice, but for balance you have to use facts and the stats we have combined with formulas are the only facts. If you throw a 1000 MW javelin's and a 1000 normal javelins at the same target, you will get an average damage value which will show higher damage for the MW javelin. And the damage difference will almost equal the extra damage it should have according to the formula.

This game is borky sometimes, but not that borky. That I used outdated calculators is unfortunate, thanks for the info, but the difference between Archon's Armor and Black Armor makes my point hold I hope. Theorycrafting sure beats pumping out arguments based on gut feeling.

Of course there would be a better average damage, no one is denying that. now to what point is the average of the mw above? we are just going round in circles here

and no, statistics and calculator do not prevail on what goes ont the battlefield

Offline sir_Ady

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Quincy_sir_Ady, Adyalt
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »
Maybe just add a section in market to "Rent" looms for a certain amount a day.  I like the idea though so I'll give you credit for that.  Not saying this would "Balance" things but I like the idea nonetheless.
thx
yep, this "rent" option would make it a lot easier to handle... (3 days, each player can have a single item), although 1x, 2x, 3x generation players do not really need money... let's say they can choose to get some fee for renting or a "lottery ticket" where a unique gear will be the jackpot. They would offer more items, I think :)

As to Balance: no balance is needed imho, only some decrease in the gap between old and new players. 1 +3  item for each new player could make it...

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:59 pm »
+4
This is the important part for me. I don't care that much if looms take advantage over skill or not and it's honestly a silly discussion. But that the heirlooms I posses dictate my choice of items is a shame. Sure I can play with other items but if I make a 1h alt with 6PS and have one 1h loom why would I use another weapon? And even if it's true that a beginner isn't helpless because of the lack of loomed items it goes on top of that. This is not an easy game to learn why additionally give beginners small disadvantages (looms, lower level, no gen bonus)?

This is an example of some backasswards and contradictory thinking. Leveling, small bonuses to individual weapons given after days and weeks of playtime, and an experience bonus given only after giving up those high levels and going back to level 1 is no longer a perk given for dedication to the game, but is now somehow a disadvantage deliberately inflicted upon those who just recently clicked install? Say what?
You do realize that they can get to the same bonuses by choosing and sticking with a class and playing? Its called a goal. Load up any number of games, from World of Warcraft to Battlefield and guess what? New players experience the same thing.
They don't have to put in the same amount of hours either. Pick a class, and it doesn't take 3000 hours to loom a primary weapon, which is mostly all you need. Can you spend a lot more time looming each piece of armor and a secondary weapon? Yes indeed. Which gives you a long term goal and keeps the Achiever gamer happy and logging in again and again.

Okay, so a new player doesn't have to play as long as the veteran has to get a class into top fighting shape. The primary difference between a long time veteran and a journeyman player who has shaken off the n00b dust with a couple retires or so under his belt is that the long time veteran has loomed out his chosen class, and is working on looms for a secondary, or maybe even tertiary build or class for his primary to load out or use on their alts. But since you can only be playing one class at a time, they are equal no matter what the long time veteran decides to play. You only have so many slots to use and all those extra heirlooms don't do you a bit of good, except that you can switch to a different class with looms if you have them for it.
Since most players, no matter how long they have been playing, don't have enough heirlooms for every possible class in the game, what do we see when they decide to try play a new class? Long time veterans having to play with the gear a new player uses until they retire and loom it. The only difference is the long time veteran can do it as much as 50% faster with the experience bonus that they earned through hundreds of hours of playtime sacrificed in the form of retirement back to level 1.

But what do you guys complain about after saying veterans have all the advantages (oh wait, new players are penalized with a disadvantage)? That you can't just take your heirlooms points and move them into any class that you want? Yet, if you were to do that, you would remove the level playing field enacted when a veteran player decides to build up the gear for a different class or an alt? Contradict your stated desires much?

Really this discussion just irritates the hell out of me. This idea that "Oh if you remove the leveling and heirlooms and experience bonus and capped the stats we could get SO many more people playing this game!" is a load of crap. Remove all of that and see how many people would have stuck around. Is it a stupid carrot? Maybe so, but people WANT that carrot to chase after. Does this mean that new players will be at a disadvantage compared to people who have played forever? Yes indeed, but so what? Every single player who started this mod months after it launched have had to go through the same early disadvantages to become one of these "priviledged long time vets" and they are still here.

You know what the solution is for these new players? JOIN A CLAN AND BORROW LOOMS FROM THE ARMOURY. In other words, join the community. If you can't be assed to do that, then what do we care??
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »
Everyone can easily get looms. Prices of looms dropped heavily during the last time. You can get a Danish Greatsword for 2 LP, a Crossbow for 2 LP. A Horn/Rus Bow for 2LP and some gold. Armor for about 2 LP and 50-200k gold. Helmets, horses and boots/gaunlets for similar prices, depending on how rare the item is or how popular it is.

After every gen it's a bit quicker to get to the next generation due to gen bonus.

If you plan to play this game a bit more serious by putting more time into it, then you will retire and make some generations. You are not forced to do 15 generations. You do not need 1450 xp per tick. You neither need a full set of looms. A weapon and armor is enough, that is not even 5 generations as you do not need to loom gear from scratch now. Sell 2 LPs, add some gold, get +3 item, win! When I started my first character and looms were introduced, I loomed from scratch like anyone else did. Now there are many +3 items, some +2 and many +1.
If you however do not play active but about 3 hours a week only, you do not care about people having looms, a lvl 30+ build or anything similar. If you play a game for fun and casually, then it doesn't matter for you if other people who play for 3 years and 5 hours everyday, kill you with 2 or 3 hits at max. It simply does not matter then. This is a rather competetive game where you need some skill to compete with others.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:56:47 pm by Miwiw99 »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2013, 05:30:55 pm »
+1
Sure I can play with other items but if I make a 1h alt with 6PS and have one 1h loom why would I use another weapon?

Why not? Do you always have to use the best items available to you? What compels you to do so? I have a gen 15 main with loomed everything, yet I rarely play him. I mostly play a 1h no shield alt with no looms whatsoever. And I have a lot of fun. Sure, my K:D is usually around 1:3 or worse, so what?

Just accept the fact that this is not a pro competitive skill only game and move on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?