Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:09:36 am »
+2
Every single MMO coming out lately is a WoW (EQ, whatever) clone. Who's to blame I wonder, the community who still fanaticly plays these games?
I am saddened that companies don't risk it a bit and actually try to create a unique game for a change.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:05 am »
+1
Yes, the combat is the same thing we've seen in MMOs for years. Not really groundbreaking at all, but is that really what you were interested in the game for? I am not going into this game expecting a WoW killer. I am going into this game viewing it as KotOR 3. I want interesting storyline. I would love a boss battle to be "fought" in a patented Bioware conversation. I am looking forward to playing out many group quest conversations. I am in it primarily for the plot, which has never been my focus in any other MMO. Most MMO players will skip right through the story and have no idea WHY they are being given a particular quest. They only focus on the combat and the grind. Well, TOR is the complete opposite of that. It is understandably not for everyone.

I got in this past weekend's beta. Played a Consular to level 3, a Smuggler to 4 (liked what little I saw of the cover system), and a Sith Inquisitor to level 10 (I was told levels 6 to 10 would be a pain, but I only died twice and only because of bad positioning). I'll probably give more attention to the Smuggler next week, or maybe try one of the trooper classes. My goal is to play every class to level 10 through these beta weekends.

Bilwit, do you really want to discuss it, or just downvote people that actually like it? Seems kind of odd to start a thread for a game you hate.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:53:12 am by Gristle »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »
> interesting storyline
> MMO

ahahahah
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »
Exactly. That's where TOR is different from other MMOs. It actually focuses heavily on the plot. If you have no interest in the story, I cannot recommend TOR to you. You will not enjoy it.

Nice quoting by the way, though I think you're on the wrong site?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:23:30 pm by Gristle »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 12:25:09 pm »
While I agree that a meaningful story sure brings something else to MMO scene I have high doubts how this will work. Story is not endless, thus it will run out sooner or later. Someone who grinds 24/7 (and there's many of those in MMO scene) will go over it in under a month if you ask me. What then, back to same old gear grind?
An MMO needs continuity and if an MMO uses the same mechanic like every other MMO (gear grind) then sorry, I'm gonna call it a WoW clone.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:26:11 pm by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 12:29:21 pm »
yay storyline, nothing you do influences anything because of the game's MMO nature. At most it's "grind until X, then you unlock the next piece of the story." It's like watching an anime except you have to grind for new episodes.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »
It's like watching an anime except you have to grind for new episodes.

And the females in The Old Republic voices doesn't sound like an young chick having an orgasm as soon as she speaks as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gristle

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 12:48:40 pm »
While I agree that a meaningful story sure brings something else to MMO scene I have high doubts how this will work. Story is not endless, thus it will run out sooner or later. Someone who grinds 24/7 (and there's many of those in MMO scene) will go over it in under a month if you ask me. What then, back to same old gear grind?
An MMO needs continuity and if an MMO uses the same mechanic like every other MMO (gear grind) then sorry, I'm gonna call it a WoW clone.

Oh, it is definitely a WoW clone in most regards. People who grind 24/7 will probably not like the game, but that's OK.

yay storyline, nothing you do influences anything because of the game's MMO nature. At most it's "grind until X, then you unlock the next piece of the story." It's like watching an anime except you have to grind for new episodes.

What I do in my storyline will influence my character, just like the other KotOR games. I didn't play KotOR to grind for gear either. This is actually a problem I've seen with the game since I first heard about it. They are trying to take major elements from their singleplayer games and combining them with typical MMO gameplay. All I wanted was KotOR 3. I don't know if I'll stick around for endgame content after I've played through the classes I like. I have no idea how that will turn out. It is an MMO that largely focuses on the leveling instead of endgame, and that's risky. For example, leveling the same class a second time will be even more tedious than in most MMOs. I hope they'll have something to address that, but I doubt it.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 07:47:30 pm »
+1
As bad as it sounds, i hope they fail with this one, learn a tough lesson (both from TOR and DA 2) and reconsider making kotor 3 or just a decent rpg for a change ( mass effect 3 is in a different category imo so i won't discuss it).
 I won't lie, i was quite interested when i first heard about this game, mainly because i was really fond of Star Wars Galaxies which was an amazing game before Sony destroyed it, but after a while i realised that it's  (TOR)  practically another expensive generic pile of MMO garbage. No offence to people who are/will be playing it, it's just not for me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:49:25 pm by Ujin »

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 08:19:01 pm »
I would say that it might be fun to lvl a character from lvl 1 to lvl 50 one time, then do some pvp with that character, which is actaully pretty funny
(click to show/hide)
, then maybe you can take a sith next time if you were republic to get a different story, but when I tried the beta then I defitenely knew that I would never want to lvl the same class from lvl 1 again, so I agree that it have some good things about it, but it might die in 1-2 years.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:45 pm »
SW:Galaxies was a beautiful sandbox-like game, SWToR is WoW type. That's the big difference.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 08:31:12 pm »
I think most wish we could have another Galaxies. I love sandbox so much more than WoW clone.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 08:54:50 pm »
I hope this game fails hard, just so I can punch my dogs uncle in the face.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »
Filthy cat lovah?

I think most wish we could have another Galaxies. I love sandbox so much more than WoW clone.

....I want Battlefront 3. And we won't need more games from then on as long as updates, DLC, you name it will still be there. And professional texture/map packs from developers and not from derp indie guys and/or modders.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 10:01:22 pm »
Filthy cat lovah?

....I want Battlefront 3. And we won't need more games from then on as long as updates, DLC, you name it will still be there. And professional texture/map packs from developers and not from derp indie guys and/or modders.

Battlefront games all died within months of release.  They're just lazy push out of the door unsupported games. 

You need an MMO structured around galactic conflict with factions to choose and work from.  Look at EVE as a model for scifi games.  1 server shard, huge territory, supremely complex economy & crafting.  EVE has constantly improved and gained subscribers...the combat is just a bit boring.  Give it flavor of star wars with different factions (Sith, Republic, Neutrals; Hutts, Pirates, Independants, Traders, Separatists, etc) and game modes:  avatar combat, ground vehicle & low atmosphere combat, space combat, galactic conquest/strife, etc.

I dont get why companies keep making these shallow themepark games where the content expires within weeks of being released.  Entire zones and even server shards becoming ghost towns.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:02:27 pm by Digglez »