Author Topic: Strat 4 Announcement  (Read 39941 times)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
Re: Strat 4 Announcement
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2012, 03:31:45 pm »
My preferred would be:

1)  Start with the NA/EU split
2)  Let Fief owners change their Fief server but it takes 1 week to come into effect
3)  Have a public list of fiefs that are in the process of changing server with a timer so that other clans can fight the changes
4)  The countdown is suspended whilst waiting for a battle
5)  Server Primetime: you cannot prevent an attack on your fief during server primetime regardless of what you set your nighttime to.

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 293
  • Infamy: 19
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wataga
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2012, 03:39:09 pm »
1)  Start with the NA/EU split
2)  Let Fief owners change their Fief server but it takes 1 week to come into effect
3)  Have a public list of fiefs that are in the process of changing server with a timer so that other clans can fight the changes
4)  The countdown is suspended whilst waiting for a battle
5)  Server Primetime: you cannot prevent an attack on your fief during server primetime regardless of what you set your nighttime to.
Seems like something average between old system in strat 2 and current system in strat 3. I don't like it.
Also how do you want to determine server for field battles with this system? Something like areas around fiefs?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:42:45 pm by serr »

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »
I didn't read much of this thread, but my biggest problem with strat is the huge advantage huge clans have. I realize that you need an incentive for everyone to play strat, but it seems like the current system has too much of an advantage for clans that just zerg recruit members. Player skill is much less important when you have 20k troops equiped with big butt armor and top tier weapons to throw at whatever they want. Even this new voting system will heavily favor clans with a whole bunch of people. It won't matter if they overvote because they have votes to waste.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2012, 04:15:30 pm »
+1
Like all of these changes except for the voting for fief thing....

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »
+7
Split the servers into two identical maps. One to the far east, One to the far west. A giant ocean in the middle. Add boats. Make them extremely expensive. Leads to naval battles. Still able to trade within the ENTIRE community, not just your server. Makes attacking across the ocean extremely impractical. Still able to duke it out for calradia on your side of the ocean.

chadz, You've said you like the idea of boats. Well we all hate the idea of fighting on bad ping. Adding boats and separate continents provides a good solution with very little negative consequences.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2012, 05:50:04 pm »
Split the servers into two identical maps. One to the far east, One to the far west. A giant ocean in the middle. Add boats. Make them extremely expensive. Leads to naval battles. Still able to trade within the ENTIRE community, not just your server. Makes attacking across the ocean extremely impractical. Still able to duke it out for calradia on your side of the ocean.

chadz, You've said you like the idea of boats. Well we all hate the idea of fighting on bad ping. Adding boats and separate continents provides a good solution with very little negative consequences.

Good idea, but just make bigger map. Current one would be EU only, and small island on the west would be NA only.

Add boats (for EU bigger, for NA smaller), wait for conquering NA by EU.

Changes to goods crafting and recruitment system that mean no more sitting idle in fiefs, not actually doing anything. Recruiting and production of gold will happen everywhere, even while moving. Weapons and Items will be bought from fiefs, with varying costs. There is no more crafting.

Not bad, considering people produced goods outside fiefs. It also make attacking people who work easier which is well. Still, crafting goods should benefit from village infrastructure (so in vicinity of the village crafting should be easier) - and some small amount of people should be protected by fief while creating goods.

Weapon and items bought from fiefs means you can create army out of nowhere, or that enemy can create army out of nowhere. Weapons and armors don't appear from the thin air, and given that you can fast march AND gold cannot be stolen in game opens can of worms.

Changes to trade that reduce the distance you need to travel for a good price but still reward traveling a long distance.

Not bad for NA players and smaller factions.

Customizable Fiefs to add variety and options for factions and fief owners. Fiefs steadily produce points that can be reset manually or by raiding a fief. Fief owners can use those to:       
  • increase heirloom state of items (default: broken)
  • decrease cost of items
  • increase or decrease default price of trade good
  • increase the amount of goods available for buying/selling
  • increase or decrease tax on items and goods

Now fiefs have to be protected by some armies.

New Equipment tier system that makes it easier to get the looms you want, but makes it harder to make fully loomed armies.

???

Steeper troop upkeep graph that encourages smaller more numerous armies over larger armies as this gets more people involved.

Good, would be nice to see 500 troops armies more often.

No more neutral fiefs - players can do a hidden vote for a fief owner in the first 8h of the game. Being in a fief gives you a boost to your votes. You only have those initial 8h to reach a fief, though. So factions will have split up areas, which should increase the tension.

Not a big deal.

Fief Corruption for empires that grow too large, but done in a way such that faction splitting does not give you an advantage.  Corruption can still be overcome for organised factions that want to expand. Each faction will have to decide how much corruption it can cope with though.  Factions will also have a Vigilance rating that can decrease corruption.  Vigilance will be a war/fighting based score.

So more war/more vigilance ? Why not.

AI Bandits, AI Caravans (if possible) - also, the AI will auto hire for people who haven’t noticed they are getting attacked

How and where those will be created and why not simply leave the task for players ?

People will get peasant gear when spawning naked. no more naked peasant genocide

Good, no more naked peasant genocide.  Tridents and clubs ftw !
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:06:28 pm by Lech »

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »
+1
Good idea, but just make bigger map. Current one would be EU only, and small island on the west would be NA only.

The small island to the west will not have any fiefs, all battles would take place on the same map (a tiny island), everyone starts with: one troop, a stick, and throwing rocks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2012, 06:08:04 pm »
The small island to the west will not have any fiefs, all battles would take place on the same map (a tiny island), everyone starts with: one troop, a stick, and throwing rocks.

Not that small mind you, about the size of  current NA territory, maybe slightly bigger. But you will be able to get villages and temples only, mesoamerican equipment and no horses. Sorry.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2012, 06:09:31 pm »
+4
Not that small mind you, about the size of  current NA territory, maybe slightly bigger. But you will be able to get villages and temples only, mesoamerican equipment and no horses. Sorry.

You guys should get the small island, with 1 fief and 1 castle for each EU clan. Not like you guys have battles anyway.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2012, 06:12:27 pm »

Yes please - IMHO anything but a split between NA/EU is going to drive players away. We've had mixing since Strategus 1 and it only leads to animosity. High ping is dreadful to play with, not impossible but requires a change of play-style.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/strategus-general-discussion/strat-suggestion-ships/

I'd be all for mixing when they upgrade the Atlantic cable even further so it won't just be the financial world which enjoys the new cables :wink:

or place NA3 in Nova Scotia :P
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline TommyHu

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
+1
Will each factions roster carry over to the new strat, or will we have to all rejoin our respective factions?

I'm personally not a fan of having to be in close proximity to a faction member to join their faction, especially at the beginning, where you may have to cross the whole map to get near your leader to get into the faction. Also if it carries over leadership can make more of an impromptu decision on what land they want to make a play for. Instead of trying to carve up the map with claims, faction leaders can look to see what general area their people are in and make decisions based on that.

Obviously this is assuming faction members can see each other across the map no matter the distance...I guess that's another question I have, if faction members can always see each other.

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »
+3
The proposed changes are interesting and I'm happy to see something other than current strat, but I have doubts about the level of micromanagment.

Personally, I think the rules should be as simple as possible, but must give a lot of variation in gameplay. Just like in chess - the best example of really complicated strategy game with very simple and transparent rules.

First strategus had many faults, but playability was the best. No economy, the amount of gold depends on number of tics and a lot of opportunities for tactical use of units on the map. Remember the great front operations by DRZ  and awesome campaign made by Pubcrowl. It was great and in next editions it was not possible. It's a pity.

Splitting maps is another problem. I believe that ability to set the server for locations is best and most natural method. Building artificial walls is a bad idea.
Rather than force to split to NA / EU better to provoke for making mixed clans. Just like Fallens now  - a bit EU and a bit NA players in one clan - something like  night/day shift.

I think that number of ticks from strategus should be most important, or be as important as tiks from cRPG.

I have serious doubts about voting, (I understand the concept of non-neutral villages, but really have no idea how to do this, a serious problem)

AI bandists and caravans - forgive honesty - just lol - Wataga is much better  :P

Another element is eliminate multiaccounting and accountsharing. It is necessary to finally solve the problem by making ghoustaccounts totally useless - wise tics system + permaban for multiaccounters and for ppl who using a serious bug.

Because I do not know what assumptions devs finally want to adopt, so I'm not trying to prompt specific solutions, but only general approach. Think about the ships - a really cool idea. Give someone a chance to be a naval power. (I reserve the name "Pirates"  :P)

BTW:
Can someone organize betting on Strat 4 Winner ? I'd like to put some gold on Harpag to become the next ruler of Calradia.
Is that all you have to say about new strat? ...f*cking troll...

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »
+1
Obviously this is assuming faction members can see each other across the map no matter the distance...I guess that's another question I have, if faction members can always see each other.

I would hope that just the current leader and high ranking officers would be able to see all members of their faction, this will reinforce the chain of command and also protect against spies somewhat.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2012, 07:05:03 pm »
Can someone organize betting on Strat 4 Winner ? I'd like to put some gold on Harpag to become the next ruler of Calradia.

BTW:Is that all you have to say about new strat? ...f*cking troll...

I haven't said enough ? No problems, just give me some time.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2012, 07:28:43 pm »
+1

Another element is eliminate multiaccounting and accountsharing. It is necessary to finally solve the problem by making ghoustaccounts totally useless - wise tics system + permaban for multiaccounters and for ppl who using a serious bug.

Might be the funniest and at the same time most sarcastic post THIS forum had to offer in a long time.