Author Topic: [Request] Remove map from rotation - NA siege svr  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
[Request] Remove map from rotation - NA siege svr
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:35:32 am »
Sorry I dont know the name of the map, as theres no way to find out while in game after you've connected.
I tabbed out to create this post, but rejoined to try and find the name in server select window, but admin must have already changed it!

The town like map with large tunnel under the castle.  Takes defenders forever to get to the flag to defend, unless they wanna jump 2 stories and take 3/4 hp dmg.

This map is just horrible and not fun at all on either side.  Typically I see 10% of the server leave when it comes up.

Please remove this map from the cRPG NA siege server rotation.  Nindir (sorry if I mispelled) is an admin and said to post in this subforums for removal requests.

I'm enjoying the game and server immensely, although some sort of auto afk kick script would be nice.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
Re: [Request] Remove map from rotation - NA siege svr
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:40 am »
haha.. I think youre talking about me map. Yeah I have to admit it was an epic fail... Im complete redoing it now(Phoenix Castle).. got new pics up for it. Tell me what u think about the revise version please. Dont need another failed map.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:21:11 am by Ronan »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »
Everyone seems to like the concept of a town battle.  What about something with a main boulevard with a keep in the middle, surrounded by town on all sides?

Put the flag at the 3rd story of the keep.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:41:04 am »
+1

I actually like the map, but it is too friggn slow, big & laggy to play it on our siege servers. Would be fun with 200 ppl on LAN :)

OT: there were some neat new castles up on EU5 Siege - are the map lists synced or won't we get to see those maps on NA someday?
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:52:12 pm »
I actually like the map, but it is too friggn slow, big & laggy to play it on our siege servers. Would be fun with 200 ppl on LAN :)

This doesn't make sense.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:40:03 pm »
This doesn't make sense.

Care to elaborate? Hypothetically, this map, on a FAST server and on LAN, which gives everybody the same bandwidth and ping would cause no problems, and with more people the size and the features of the map would start to make sense as well, since it encourages tactics opposite to the usual run-like-lemmings-towards-the-nearest-hackfest gamemode
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »
If a single map is slow and "laggy", it means it's because of framerate problems on your machine, which won't be fixed by moving the server to the local area network. Additionally, adding more players means more texture and model data to load, which will make the framerate problems even worse.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 11:42:37 pm »
 lag != local framerate problem != ping.
Whatever, the discussion is going OT, and the map is already gone, as far as I can see.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:20 am »
yeah after seeing this and all the other dislike, i emailed Airith and he took it down pretty quick. It doesnt hurt my feelings, id rather not have a bad map up running. I dont make em for my personal enjoyment, though I really like making maps and once i know how to compromise better i should be able to pump out more sensible maps. :D

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »
lag != local framerate problem != ping.
Whatever, the discussion is going OT, and the map is already gone, as far as I can see.

Like I said, if a single map is "laggy", it is not network lag, but framerate problems. Map size or complexity has nothing to do with network lag, if the same amount of players are present as in other maps.

But now that I think about it, map complexity might slow the server down a little, because if there are lots of objects, the collision datastructure is bigger, making collision checks a bit longer. However, i do hope they use some space partitioning datastructure for collisions, which would greatly reduce the effort, actually making map complexity a non-issue in this regard.

Still, moving the same server hardware to the local area network wouldn't help at all.

Also, if you have bad ping, you will always notice network lag and if you got network lag, you almost always have bad ping as well. Bandwidth doesn't matter much in games networking. The only possibility where you have good pings and still lag is when there are traffic shaping rules in effect that don't delay the ping packets but do delay the other packets of the game's network communication. This should be quite rare, though.

Still, moving the same server hardware to the local area network wouldn't help at all.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:47:31 pm by zagibu »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:35 pm »
Holy wrong button hit batman.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:48:15 pm by zagibu »