Author Topic: My take on why the siege became so popular after the xp boost  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Kansuke

• Earl
  • Renown: 401
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Kansuke, LeRun
Re: My take on why the siege became so popular after the xp boost
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 06:03:02 pm »
Why I play siege over battle ?

Because of cavalry, playing on battle is so frustrating when you're using light armor, it's either 1) get teamattacked to death by your teammate in melee and wait 2/3 of the time dead or when you stay away from the main clusterfuck not to get teamdamaged by some spamming retards you will always get ganked and bumped to death by some greedy cav.
The number of cav on EU1 has reached a point where it's just impossible to have a proper fight as infantery. I remember when I started playing cRPG last year this was not the case and there were actually some teamplay going on on battle server.

I used to think cRPG balance was better than native but these days I'm thinking the exact opposite.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »
Because factions like Abuse Order literally "farming" siege make it fun for an outsider..

Please..

PS: this thread necromancy is getting old.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:07:26 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 06:07:52 pm »
Siege.

Think.. Siege.

8-)

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 08:59:49 pm »
   Siege had the biggest playerbase for the simple reason that it's the most close to the TDM system. You can ignore flags and objectives, and simply by going berserk killing the enemies you will contribute to the team.

In siege you don't have to be afraid of getting killed in a early stage of a round, having to spectate the rest of the time, aka no effective play time.

You don't have to worry that much about ranged, cause you end up re spawning anyway.

Getting 1 hit killed on the back or even from the front by a Cav player it's something that won't happen, and if it does, it's your fault for sure (the opposite from Battle)

The only problem is the lack of supervision which will be addressed in the future. Meanwhile we just have to carry on reporting on the forums, sadly.

Offline drey2k

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »
Seriously, get rid of cav or nerf horses. It's ridiculous. I hate playing battle because of them. If it's not 5 horses running at me from behind, it's my own teammates knocking me down and giving the enemy free shots.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »
+1
Seriously get rid of archers.  If it's not 5 of them shooting me at once while I'm in the middle of fighting it's teammates shooting me in the back.

Actually get rid of all weapons, they can be used to kill me and I don't like dying.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 12:04:07 am »
Ishar lol, he used to post a lot.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 06:04:19 am »
The only change that has been made to the game that I really haven't liked has been the early weapons activation that was implemented. It has turned combat into a wiffle bat fight far too often, and it feels like it has made chambering a cake walk. Fighting on hills with a long pole arm is completely shit hammered. Fighting using over heads with people running around behind you is completely retarded. Over heading while being parallel to a wall, shit hammered.

One other thing I disagree with is the Long volouge nerf, previously it was a cheap Bardiche, now its a cheap Swiss Halberd... BUT! And its a huge but, its slow as hell, its poke is shit and its unbalanced the result is that its a turd sandwich.

Long Voulge
weapon length: 175
weight: 3.5
difficulty: 17
speed rating: 85
weapon length: 175
thrust damage: 18 pierce
swing damage: 37 cut
slots: 2
Can't use on horseback
Unbalanced
Bonus against Shield
Can't sheath

Swiss Halberd
weapon length: 162
weight: 3.2
difficulty: 15
speed rating: 91
weapon length: 162
thrust damage: 28 pierce
swing damage: 37 cut
slots: 2
Can't use on horseback
Bonus against Shield
Can't sheath

The funny thing is given that over head constantly get arse fucked by the early active sing poop the bamboo spear is the real alt to the LV, it doesn't have shield break but it does have good damage on its thrust (which won't get wiffed every other bloody swing, or stuck on the ground) and its 5 points faster :/

But yeah, primary rage as far as patches and attempts at fixing shit, the Early Active Swing has IMO not been a great one. I just think it needs to be tinkered with and have less of an effect on over heads.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 08:00:31 am »
+1
I have to disagree with the overpowered armor/weapons argument. You can always find a way to kill someone, even with the worst of gear. Either that or I've chosen the cheapest, deadliest, most overpowered weapon in the game when it can defeat weapons 10-15x it's price (pickaxe).

I guess it's easy to blame your death on a weapon or the superior armor of an opponent, and I have caught myself cursing people wearing gothic plate and 1 hit killing me with a bec, but in the end where there is a will, there is a way. If frugfrug can get a positive ratio with rocks, then anything is possible!
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 08:00:40 am »
I agree with above post.And proud of it.

Wrong

see below

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:26 am »
Somebody lock this thread.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 01:42:26 pm »
Crying about cav is silly. It's very easy to be safe from cavalry and even pose a threat. The heaviest horses are the only thing I actually fear to some extent.

I mean, seriously, I'm 1h + shield with a under 100 length sword. If someone tries to couch me I've slowly started to learn it's pretty damn easy to just dodge the couch and stab them in the face if they aren't actually good with their couching. Same goes for non-polearm cavalry trying to slash instead of stabbing. Good timing and positioning can usually lead to a surprise kill. Lancers that aren't couching can pose an actual threat I can't deal with that well, but occasionally they play dumb too and dehorsing them is pretty trivial.

Even if you don't trust your skills or use a pick or mace or something it's very easy to avoid dying to a horseman (fast at least). Only the heaviest horses actually hurt you when they trample you, so just jump under the horse if you can't figure out any better option as opposed to getting hit by a weapon.

...and I'm not claiming I am perfectly safe against cav, but I feel like I have enough chance to fight back that it's fun. Especially since most cav players don't expect to lose a horse or their life to one shielder hit while they're just charging without anything stopping them :D

Cavalry is the most dangerous when you're fighting in an open area against an another infantry. That's when you need superb awareness or well... teamwork. Cavalry is ludicrously good when you have 60 enemies majority of whom don't seem to have any awareness or teamwork. Cavalry is ludicrously bad when you have 60 enemies with superb awareness and teamwork.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:43:35 pm by Elmokki »

Offline Rhombeus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Werdume
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 01:45:10 pm »
Disclaimer: This post may contain biased views!

Back in march 2010, when i started this game (on the 22nd server) i was completely drawn in by the magic. The big fields with two opposing armies facing off in fight of biblical proportions. Most people were decked in misc gear and there were almost zero knights, horses were rare, few snipers (1-2), some range and a massive amount of melee players. There were debates about the best skill-route, armors, players etc.

Then drama ensued and cRPG changed,

Now instead of the 222 slot server the 22nd clan provided, we had a small 60 slot server ( got upgraded fast tho). Maps changed from open fields to more infantry friendly. Gold & experience gain was slow, and there was a soft-cap to level. Some started to power-level and in a few days/weeks more knights emerged. Medium armor became the norm. The game was still awesome fun, and there was a much larger quantity of melee players as opposed to ranged & cavalry. People were still unsure about the class-routes as there was quite a bit of math behind it all.

Then some shitkid decided to ddos cRPG, which resulted in a database-wipe.

chadz improved much in cRPG, but the players had gone from casuals to power-gamers. Ill admit i was once counted among them, playing for hours upon hours, caught in the mindless hunt for the next level and new armor.

Now everyone was looking to maximize their exp & gold gain. After a few days some people had heavy armor (which had earlier been reserved for a few dedicated gamers, among them BNCshrek, the first to reach black-armor). A week passed, and just like that, heavy armor was now the norm. But it did not stop there; horses, xbows and archers emerged in massive numbers.

Now a few months laters, there are hardly any people not following one of the cookie-cutter builds. Maps has changed to cater for increasing population of cavalry & range. It has been days, if not weeks since i last played a battle on a map that favored infantry. 

Q: What does the above text have to do with the current siege phenomena?

Nothing and everything. 

You see, in this gaming era everyone feels entitled to be the hero. No one will settle for the side-kick. In the start people were more relaxed towards this game, but as it became more and more popular, the min-maxing started. Now we have a influx of range & mounted players, in addition to the tin-cans. You can no longer play the game as you see fit, if you intend to make a name for yourself (there are of-course exceptions to every rule). Even skilled Mount & blade vets are using the most overpowered armors and weapons, even in duels. After some of the custom made weapon & armors made it into this mod, the old weapons have seen little to no use. Tears are a perfect example of this; It got range, speed and damage, why would anyone use anything else? AFAIK the ninja clan is the only clan still using some form of equipment code for their members. Im happy with my choice of being a ninja, but sometimes, when i lose to worse players because everyone else is using the most ridiculous weapons & armors,  i get frustrated.

Thrown into this mix of crazed power-gamers are the casuals and the people refusing to play the min-max game. After dying repeatably to projectiles and horse-bumps for months now, i think people have finally found a sanctuary, still somewhat untouched by the taint thats plaguing the rest of the game. Its so relaxing not to be forced to spin 360 degrees all the time, to look for incoming cavs in additional to dodging arrows. And even if you get shot to pieces, you only have to wait a maximum of 30 seconds before you are up and running again.

I have no clue what future lays ahead of cRPG..

Only chadz and a handful of people really have a clue on how the future cRPG will look like. I doubt the players mentality will change for the better, min-maxing is here to stay. However steps can be taken to ensure a fair and fun game for everyone.

No