Author Topic: (probably only when WSE starts working) Arrow damage suggestion  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Here it is :

Arrows do most damage at long range shots

Arrows do much less damage (somewhat like nerfed xbow damage when it's raining) at short  range shots (also known as "shooting into melee fights while standing  5 meters away from them")

Improves game balance  ,seen this done (and work) in other videogames.

Physics wasn't my fave class in school so i don't want to back this up with some RL facts , although i've seen multiple discussions about it. I'd leave it to the proffessionals. All i want to say is that either way, i think this would make a big improvement to the game balance. IMHO, of course.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:50:07 am by Ujin »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: (probably only when WSE starts working) Arrow damage suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:07:42 am »
physics would not back up your case, it would be quite the opposite.  projectiles loose speed and therefore damage at distance

would make more sense to stop jump nock/shooting to discourage archer kiters.  as it stands there is a niche for hornborn vs longbow as one is good shortrange fire support and one is long range sniper

theres no reason either realistic or game balance why archers or any ranged shouldnt be able to be effective at 5m or even closer.

in an ideal game, archers would be able to parry with their bow a limited amount of times

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:35:40 am »
This is not a good idea.

As for shooting into melee, this will make it worse as all the short range shotguns will turn into long range innacurate crap.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:58:56 am »
I always did long range sniping and had some quite decent results, this would be great for me.. then I went xbow for a gen..... archery... never again to be seen for me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 1919
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »
never again to be seen for me.

^this

The reason: because it's way too OP and I don't like to play OP class :D

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 03:36:46 pm »
This is not a good idea.

As for shooting into melee, this will make it worse as all the short range shotguns will turn into long range innacurate crap.
Exactly why i think it's a good idea. Good archers back in the days were known for their long range accurate shots, not shotgunning people or 3 -5 archers standing 3 meters behind the melee fight just shooting into it  , as it is right now.

The balance reason is to actually suggest that archers do what they should be best at - medium /long distance ranged class, while throwing  obviously should be better suited for close range. Xbows are a completely different story and should be discussed separately (waves to Fasader).

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 03:40:48 pm »
I mean people will still shoot into melee, just that it will now be innacurate and hit friendlies more often.

I duno, I just have been team wounded and killed far more often by melee then by range, and we dont have the mass formations to properly promote long range fire.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:42:27 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:09 pm »
I mean people will still shoot into melee, just that it will now be innacurate and hit friendlies more often.

I duno, I just have been team wounded and killed far more often by melee then by range, and we dont have the mass formations to properly promote long range fire.
I never said anything about accuracy, did i ? Or are you implying that archers will start to shoot into melee more recklessly knowing that they would do less damage ? =)

As for archers and formations, i thought we all are always up for improving this game in all aspects, including more tactics, more realistic formations etc ? I'm just saying that archery today is a bunch of guys (mostly with longbows) standing behind the melee fights almost shotgunning people, which is probably not the way most of us would expect to see it. And not exactly the way it used to be before.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »
No, what I am saying is that since those who like to shoot into melee will no longer do damage up close, they will have to shoot from far away which is not accurate and will result in a significantly higher amount of friendly fire.

We would get more long range shooting in today's cRPG if either 1.) People start using mass formations which is what archery was traditionally used against, or 2.) if the ability to hit people from far away was not so ludicrously difficult compared to shotgunning.

I though take a middle approach, and long distance snipe at crowded nests or formations (and by the way, in my experience tight formations are seen on flat open plain maps, rather interesting), or mid-range shooting.

Sad but true, even if damage was nerfed hard for short range shots, I would still do them as you hit significantly more targets that way then at the long range you-have-a-second-and-a-half-to-react shots.

The reason why cRPG bowmen perform so radically different from their historical traditional counterparts is because the cRPG melee infantry don't act like their traditional historical counterparts.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:57:05 am »
 sounds good, melee shooting is too easy, 200-300 m shooting with longbow is no fun nowadays.