Poll

Does Archery and Throwing need a nerf ??

Yes
65 (31%)
No
66 (31.4%)
Uuuhtaaaakk
24 (11.4%)
Stand Your Ground
23 (11%)
Whistle
32 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Author Topic: Too many projectiles  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Too many projectiles
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 01:34:49 am »
An OLD BOARD SHIELD has a requirement of ONE SKILL POINT and will block 200 points of damage with 26x60 coverage for a measly 4.5 weight. That is more than enough to get you where you need to be, at which point you can just drop the shield to let you move faster (and come back for it if needed).

If putting ONE SKILL POINT into shields is going to suddenly ruin your entire build and make it so you suck at the game, then you already suck at the game.

Word

To yer great aunt
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 02:06:48 am »
And what about the inventory slot a shield takes?  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 02:14:36 am »
And what about the inventory slot a shield takes?  :?

What about it?  As a pure 2her you need what?

Pike of Tears/Cookies
Axe or LawlerMaul

You get 2 freebie slots and that's if you plan to carry 2 2hers so you can counter every other melee out there (and cav with the lolswords).  On my 2her I chose throwing rather than a shield as my anti-archer device, had to put skill points into that too.  Works fine.  As a 2her you can carry a shield and now effectively have something to counter EVERYONE.

On my 1her I have to carry
Sword
Shield
Axe
Pike/blunt weapon if I want to have counters for melee, and then I'm fucked vs cav unless I choose a pike, which is about as beneficial as a 2her carrying a shield.

It's all tradeoffs.  Only archers really have no drawbacks.  As arrows are good vs anyone without a shield, other archers, horses/cav and their polearm/2her takes care of the rest.

Offline Ashrik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LOTS AND LOTS OF JOLLY KNIGHTS LOTS AND LOTS OF JO
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Ashraa
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 02:25:00 am »
Infantry need to carry pikes or ranged to deal with calvary, ranged need to carry hand-to-hand weapons to deal with melee, and melee need to carry shields to deal with archery. But it's only unfair for melee. If you want to be awesome against everyone, it makes sense that you have to change something to do it
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:27:11 am by Ashrik »
I am Uhtred_III_of_Bebbanbawler.

I answer to no man.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 02:30:35 am »
It's really easy to shoot shielders these days, unless they're dedicated shielders with a huscarl. And of course, you can shoot anyone, shield or no shield, once they engage in melee.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 02:44:09 am »
It's really easy to shoot shielders these days, unless they're dedicated shielders with a huscarl.

This is a good thing.  Though I think the huscarl needs a big speed decrease tbh.  By dedicated shielders I assume you're talking someone with 4+ points in shield.  I got 7 currently and I prefer to use the brown heater shield (style baby) and I get shot all the time with it, which is a good thing for sure.  The huscarl though is still sadly pretty much the end-all-be-all of shields.  If it was a bit slower in melee we might see a bit more shield variety from shielders.  Kind of like the board shields.  Great arrow protection, slow as hell in melee combat.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 02:46:54 am »
I do just fine with knightly kite shield, then again, i attack people with my sword, not turtle up (6 shield skill, i don't know why).

But yeah, huscarl is too good.

Also, i like how projectile now bypass the forcefield, it's cool.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2011, 02:55:10 am »
(6 shield skill, i don't know why).

lol, right?
That's how I feel about it now.  "Why did I bother to get more than the 3 points needed for my heater shield?"

Offline Ashrik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LOTS AND LOTS OF JOLLY KNIGHTS LOTS AND LOTS OF JO
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Ashraa
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 03:06:01 am »
Which shield is that tiny metal one that appears to erect a 360 degree projectile barrier? How many points do you need for that? (And has its apparent awesomeness changed since the patch?)

vvvvv Is that what you were talking about? Because I'm curious about it
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:07:19 am by Ashrik »
I am Uhtred_III_of_Bebbanbawler.

I answer to no man.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2011, 03:06:41 am »
Which shield is that tiny metal one that appears to erect a 360 degree projectile barrier? How many points do you need for that?

No longer?
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 03:15:35 am »
Which shield is that tiny metal one that appears to erect a 360 degree projectile barrier? How many points do you need for that? (And has its apparent awesomeness changed since the patch?)

vvvvv Is that what you were talking about? Because I'm curious about it

Oh that's the buckler.  Those are stupid, I'm not a fan.  They're not as good as they were, but they still catch arrows they shouldn't.  My resoning?  If you could block an arrow with a buckler ON PURPOSE, opposed to sheer luck of the arrow being shot directly at the damned thing, you could have just caught the arrow with your bare hand.  So I say BS to bucklers.

No the one I was talking about is the "Heater Shield" it's brown, has the black lion thing on the front.  Looks like it's covered in leather?

Offline Snatch

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Just dance
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: Lady Gaga
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 03:18:28 am »
Get a shield you big babies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 03:20:09 am »
Too much shit flying through the air, Melee Class are getting it in the ass from all comers.

Does anyone have a solution as the balance of power has clearly shifted toward these classes ?

Maybe nerf archer damage and accuracy toward melee class and keep it the same for archer/archer engagement.

When the patch before last nerfed archery a bit, the battles were far more engaging for all classes imho.

Between archery and throwing, melee class can't swing a sword without getting a projectile to the face.

I am sorry I didn't read any other posts in this discussion. But the fact that this has gone to 4 pages indicates to me that you guys missed the point that this guy is retarded.

Also, get a shield. In fact, hire three hookers to carry a shield and then stand infront of you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 03:26:42 am »
But the fact that this has gone to 4 pages indicates to me that you guys missed the point that this guy is retarded.

Actually if you decide to read the rest of the thread the OP was already dismissed and we're having our own conversation with each other about various things (such as the nature of shields when compared to each other, why 2hers putting points into shield/and or carrying a shield is fair or unfair, etc.).  Basically a typical thread hijacking.

Offline Malevolent_Warlord

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 04:13:14 am »
No Offence but are you fucking retarded?

How the fuck does this solve the problem which the Original post states?

This just makes the problem worse...

U missed the whole point.

Projectiles do not bother me when I go 2h, 1h, polearm, cav or as an archer. I carry a shield for protection. Archers are the least of my problems.
2h-players who whine about archers just plain suck ass. They always go RAAAAGHHH CHAAAARGE KILLL ZIE PESANTS.... and then they are fucking dead.
If they were killed by projectiles they create projectile whinebitch thread.
If they are killed by horses they come here and bitch about horses.
Simple fact is that they made a mistake and got themselves killed. Plain and simple.

Now if u try archery/xbow/throwing urself u realise that when u see a guy who is facing u with a shield u know that u cannot hurt him with ranged weapons.

There is no problem....
Ranged weapons are in balance....
Skills that the players have are not in balance....
MP nicks: Malevolent_Warlord, Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry, Warlords_Clibanarii

Those who are interested in tactics and tips: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,225.0.html