Poll

Do you think light cavalrymen should be handicapped like this?

yes
42 (34.1%)
no
81 (65.9%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: [Complaint] Why make it so cavalry is not a viable option?  (Read 9558 times)

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
Re: [Complaint] Why make it so cavalry is not a viable option?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:52 am »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:06:26 am by Huey Newton »

Offline StanleyPain

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (>'.'<)(*)(*)(¯`·._) LLJK (¯`·._) (*)(*) (>'.'<)
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 05:31:08 am »
Seems that CAV is fine. I see 8-10+ per team at any given time. I think the entire point was to reduce the amount of cav seen on the battle field and to reduce how often you can use it.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 05:40:29 am »
Light cavalry should be viable every round with light armour. I have yet to roll a cavalry character post-patch and test it, but if it's not, well, it should be.

As for Finn/Michael...EU has to put up with him but we've got Thulsa Doom. Speaking of which, I haven't really seen that douche around...

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 05:55:11 am »
Light cavalry should be viable every round with light armour. I have yet to roll a cavalry character post-patch and test it, but if it's not, well, it should be.

The current cost of the horse is pretty damning, and god forbid if your team hits a losing streak and your horse gets damaged repeatedly. Horsemen put all their eggs in one basket, putting them more at risk than any other class.

If my tempered bec gets damage (most expensive item I use on my main consistently) I might be out a couple hundred gold, but if your Sarranid horse gets damaged, you're out over a grand.  A streak of bad luck can easily bankrupt a player.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:57 am »
I use a Palfrey every round with medium armor and have been making more money than ever since the patch, but coursers are quite a bit more expensive. Still, I haven't personally had any problems yet. Although the new bow speed was a bit of a shock to me, I'm adjusted to it now.

Edit: Why do sumpters now cost more than Palfrey's? Sumpters still suck horribly, but cost 8000
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:19:21 am by Warcat »
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 06:38:17 am »
Edit: Why do sumpters now cost more than Palfrey's? Sumpters still suck horribly, but cost 8000

I have an idea why.
So that low riding builds who only pick sumpter-level for the "lulz" will have to pay more for upkeep, and they either invest more into riding, or drop riding completely.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:55 am »
they forgot to raise the price of the palfrey

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 07:21:52 am »
Oh man! Why can't I ride my horse around and totally decimate everyone? You just need to budget.
Just because I troll doesn't mean I don't care.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 08:32:52 am »
A rouncey is affordable.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline ViiKOLD

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 09:42:52 am »
Rouncey and Palfey is quite affordable, lowering prices for Saranid\Courser\Destrier would be nice but people still use them, cataphracts or warhorses are hardly seen and its good.
I didn't liked last changes to horses characteristics, nerfing them together with making higher price was unreasonable, imho.

Anyway, this is how I keep upkeep under control. Your gear and mount should be proportional to multiplayer:
x1 rouncey, light armor, morningstar
x2 rouncey, light armor, morningstar and some additional weapon with longer reach for melee
x3 destrier and the same from x2
x4 and x5 destrier and medium armor + three different weapons

This way it works quite well, you raise money slowly but you always get xp and help your team to raise or hold multiplier.

I will be dropping cavalry because of recent changes. I have 2h\cav char, it's rather weak against other cavalry but good against infantry and just fun to play, but with current expenses, fragility of horses and dominance of lance cavalry its not enjoyable anymore. Its sad that diversity get destroyed because of the balancing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:49:19 am by ViiK »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 09:55:48 am »
Well, with a heavy lance, a rouncey, warspear, and light (cloth) armour and a weak shield, it's quite upkeepable. If I put on mail + helm + gauntlets + boots, then not so upkeep-friendly.

I roll as infantryman on town maps with cloth armour and a warspear, that fills up the wallet.

Bumpslashers must be hurting though, since people generally are more watchful for cavalrymen and we see more polearms these days, and the horses which you can upkeep are quite fragile beasts. HAs probably, too, but I feel no pity for them (and they are the most effective way to dismount other horsemen, anyway). But it is nice, on the other hand, to see only a handful of horsemen on a map instead of 20 horses on every side.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Malevolent_Warlord

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 10:51:00 am »
U have to realise that u can't do jack-of-all-trades anymore. Do u really think its balanced that u ride a warhorse and wear plate armor? It takes forever to down u and after that it takes time to smash u down. U have to balance out ur equipment to ur needs.

I can ride cataphract in lamellar vest and low gear no problem. I tried riding destrier in mameluke armor and good equipment... it was a no no. U don't need heavy armor if u ride a warhorse, u just need to avoid getting hit.

Stay alive, tune ur skills and stop taking unnessesary risks. Skills play 10x more role than before the patch.

I get killed in heavy armor so fast now and I can't even upkeep it.... but if they can't hit me its another thing entirely. Personal skills are the true shit now. Staying alive is much more valuable than 30k worth of armor which don't help u very much.
MP nicks: Malevolent_Warlord, Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry, Warlords_Clibanarii

Those who are interested in tactics and tips: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Offline Rogue_Eagle

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:14 am »
imo they should make it, if your horse dies you pay upkeep, otherwise you don't.

gives some incentive to get plated charger etc.

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 11:09:38 am »
archers can shoot them down with ease.
     (Yup almost everything dies from being shot with arrows)
pikes can wreck horses now that theres no Lance of compensation
     (Good because LOC was way OP)
hell they've even added 2 new anti-cav weapons (Swiss halberd and english bill)
     (the more weapons the better)
why make it so i cant use my pony every round when ive spent time grinding to purchase it an the skills needed for it
     (Yah why cant i just pound my mouse and win every game!, i mean i spent the cash on it, i should one shot people every time right lol)

Offline tony

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wizard Company
  • Game nicks: His Holiness, Strife
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:21 am »
I do alright as cav