Poll

Do you think light cavalrymen should be handicapped like this?

yes
42 (34.1%)
no
81 (65.9%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: [Complaint] Why make it so cavalry is not a viable option?  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1730
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: [Complaint] Why make it so cavalry is not a viable option?
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »
Same goes for infantry except strength crusher build.

Offline Kimichi

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2011, 11:32:01 pm »
My heavy plated charger agrees with this notion.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronish

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2011, 01:30:27 am »
Even the weakest horses give a nice advantage over people on foot if used correctly. Also with the way archery works now, it takes several arrows to drop light cav (barring headshots). If you're light cav and want to wear armor with a total purchase cost of 10k and up with all the weapons you want to have, well then, sorry. That is a bit much to ask for. If you want better horses, you'll have to sacrifice something. I can usually take a few hits in 4k worth of armor.

I'm about to retire and run melee with a cheap lance, cheap shield, Palfrey, my choice of polearm for melee and about 18k in armor. That'll be around 35k in gear to maintain. Based on the cost or my current setup (for upkeep) and how fast I'm earning gold, I can maintain this except when I lose way too much consecutively. When that happens, I'll have to drop something to lower upkeep. That is life in crpg.

I can appreciate your frustration. I'd just be worried about creating a situation where 1/4 or more of players are permanently on horseback. It's no fun having to try and dodge a horse every 5 seconds.

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2011, 02:03:05 am »
Horse costs were reduced and archery nerf indirectly bufffed cav by reducing the number of archers. I've got no beef with cav now

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2011, 02:18:13 am »
I used to play cav(sarranid) all the time. with the upkeep i went from 20k to 0k. i'm finally getting my money back but i havnt took my horse out of the stable since iv started getting money back.

I'v come to a point, even though i have a cav build, not to even think about using my horse. i think i'v actually completly forgot about it and see myself as a polearm guy!

why ride your horse? see it go down in 2 arrows and pay 1.2k for that every round! not thanks! Your sure that if you ride your horse you'll lose money whatsoever!

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2011, 02:58:47 am »
My heavy plated charger agrees with this notion.

yo what movie is this from?

it is something I need to see

Also I hate horses, and people who ride them.  I go out of my way every round to kill as many horses as possible.  Even I must admit that horses need some tweaking.

Every other playstyle or class has gear they can use that still is respectable and can earn money in.  If you are a 1h+shield you can stop using that side sword and use a nordic one.  If you are 2h you can stop the flameberge and use a cheaper sword of war.  Crossbowmen can swap to a lower level crossbow.  Even when you are playing with the lower cost gear you still function in the same style as when you have the better gear.  That is good because you made your character to play that specific style, just sometimes you are slightly less effective(shitty gear).

With horsemen they really don't have that option.  For them to build up some money they have to go on foot, something which they are terrible at because it's good balance to make them not dominate on both horse and foot.  Also the player doesn't want to play on foot, that's why they made a horseman in the first place.  I guess they could use the sumpter, but it is really just a cruel joke you might as well not use it and simply avoid the potential repair bill.  Infantry and archers don't have to revert to awful peasant gear to build up some cash, I don't see why horsemen are also forced to.

I think the sumpter should be removed and replaced cost wise with the palfrey, or have the cost of the sumpter, rouncy, and palfrey reduced.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:17:57 am by Beans »

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2011, 03:23:49 am »
yo what movie is this from?

Alluda Majaka.  The entire chase scene is flat out the greatest chase scene ever shot on film, the horse slide is just the highlight of it.
-idlewind