Author Topic: A bigger map?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: A bigger map?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:56 pm »
+1
It seems more like smaller map = static trench warfare with troops piling up making castles/towns impossible to attack.

-------

I'm just saying that strategus is like a game of checkers right now, options for how you can play are very limited.  Increase the size of the world and we might see more fluid warfare, maneuvering and different dynamics since it'll be impossible for the same large factions to monopolize all the territory like they do every round. 

With a larger map, people could go off into a distant corner and have the viking vs space samurai theme battles/wars they always wanted, other people who only want to fight wars against their friends where the battles all take place between 6 to 9pm PST could go off into another corner and play strat that way, etc etc. 

If you like strategus the way it currently is and other people do as well, you could all stay in one map and keep on doing what you're doing but a larger map would give the rest of us the option to step outside that box.

I got only 2 things to say that solves the issues you want to resolve with a bigger map :

- AFK'ers, AFK'ers everywhere! the map seems "tight" but there is so many people that stopped playing, or dont care a lot, that the borders are pretty much open everywhere, except where its really hot (warzones, the few factions that can send patrols) so there is still a lot of manoeuvrability.
- the 1/3 rule, if modified to let any 1500+ armies attack anything, would greatly increase the rythm at which we spend troops and would guarantee that factions stays relatively weak (except if they are beast at diplomacy and have great luck)

Then, I'm sure that if the cRPG/Strategus sequel is great, the playerbase will be x100 superior, then it would be a very good idea to enlarge the map/mirror more or decrease travel time.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 12:47:28 am »
+1
I would like the idea of more maneuverability in Strat warfare, as a result of a larger map... However, that doesn't really get us much right now, does it? More empty space would be boring.

Geography isn't enough of a predictable factor for strategic movement on the map to matter. Maneuvering in relation to hills, forests, rivers, and the like would be amazing and breath life into field battles once more. Commanders would need to consider terrain, for once.

But right now, movement on the strat map isn't fun, and the random maps are not predictable--it's just something that takes time and only really matters in so far as the distance between important things (players, armies, fiefs) is concerned. It's distance, and major (major) geographic shit like mountains and big ass forests, and they matter little outside of large-scale choke points.
---

Or not. I have no idea how to play fucking Strat. As it is, the only fun parts are battles and collecting gear for one's army; watching it improve in the nerdy, RPG sense of things.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 01:46:44 am »
+1
It seems more like smaller map = static trench warfare with troops piling up making castles/towns impossible to attack.

larger map = no economic pressure for conquest = stagnation = grinding = static trench warfare with troops piling up making castles / towns impossible to attack = international day of world peace

strategus is like a game of checkers right now

rather like chess, therefore game is so great, but I prefer faster matches

larger map - no
higher activity of players - yes
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:21 am »
+1
Strat fiefs should give a bonus in crpg other than a title, right now the only crpg bonus you can get from them is selling them for crpg gold/looms.
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 09:34:59 am »
+1
A larger map would mean longer travel time. Less people would visit and buy at your fief. Mirrored map means more battles at the same maps, not new and different battles.

As it is now, the strategus/duel servers are usually pretty busy. They would need to host more strategus servers or delay battles to keep up the pace. Strat battle rosters would be much more competitive if there were multiple important battles at the same time. Payout cap would have to be increased to let hiring armies bid for important players. I don't see this improving strat much.

What I would like to see is a completely new map with new fiefs. This would require mappers to create dozens of new (but also properly balanced) town, castle, and city maps. That's unreasonable given the playerbase and number of active mapmakers.

As much as I love new and different battle formats, I don't see this x4 mirrored map doing much to change that.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »
+1
nice idea but too many provinces for too few players

the situation we have at the moment in EU with the eastern and western powerblocks, if one side were to win every single one of it's battles starting today, it'd still take that side well over a month to conquer the other side. And that's with them winning every battle, as it stands they're almost 50/50*

*(if you ignore the fact that the coalition is getting it's ass handed to it. lolololololol)
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 01:11:41 am »
Map like that would give even more gold and fiefs per player...

Not all of us live in the USA, so we know that bigger is not always better ;)
Don't be jealous, not everyone can be lucky you know.