Author Topic: Mounted Thrower questions  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Anwyl

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • I liked cool avatars before they went mainstream.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Coy
  • IRC nick: Coy
Mounted Thrower questions
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:52:06 am »
I'm considering making a mounted thrower alt and I was hoping for some information.

As I've never played a thrower, and it has been a very long time since I have played cav, what build can you recommend?

What throwing weapons would be effective for mounted throwing? Is it better to mix up the weapons I take (throwing lances & throwing spears) or should I stick to one type?

Should I put any prof points into melee?

Does Horse Archery affect throwing accuracy at all?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Mounted Thrower questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:02:07 am »
Horse Archery effects all projectiles, including thrown.

I would suggest either Jarids for power, or Throwing SPEARS for the ammo (throwing SPEARS are suitable for most targets and I prefer them). Wardarts are nice for spam.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:04:03 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:53:58 am »
I think you reversed power and ammo there, or you meant throwing spears, Tears.

For build, 18/18 is good, with 6 PT and 3 HA, you can go 21/18 if you cut ground skills, but I prefer more rounded play.

For the weapons, I suggest just buying all of them eventually, and trying them out.  Every throwing weapon throws differently, especially from horseback, and they are also good for different situations.  Javs and their ilk throw easiest form horseback, I think, but really everything works.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:42:11 am »
I meant throwing spears... Bleh  :oops:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:15:26 am »
The mounted thrower suffers from an oversight from Taleworlds. In speed bonus calculation for projectiles the movement speed of the thrower/shooter does not count. So there is no difference damagewise if a mounted thrower chucks a javelin from standing position or at full speed into his target. That always kept me away from rolling a mounted thrower.

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:50:52 pm »
So even infantry thrower doesn't get speed bonus?

We could use some gigantic cRPG/M&B mechanics FAQ some day.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:57:38 pm »
chadz doesn't want people minmaxing (which obviously happens anyway) so they keep actual mechanics close to their chests
FREE ALLERS

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 04:55:06 pm »
Well, telling something like not getting a speedbonus when using throwing wouldn't really lead to minmaxing, other than people stopping running to get extra damage to the throw.
But eh.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »
The savvy elitist players already know though... Helps to keep a folder on this information.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:36:31 am »
+1
You only get no speed bonus from your own movement speed. The targets speed does count. For the damage calc(but not for trajectory calc) every projectile is handled as if it is launched from a static position.

This has some interesting effects with horse archery too. So imagine a HA who is chased by another cav, both at same speed and the HA is shooting backwards at the cav. Irl one would expect normal damage because shooter and target are moving at the same speed. But it is different in Warband physics. Here it thinks the arrow is launched from static postion and the target is moving towards the arrow, resulting in extra damage. A mounted thrower would even profit the most from this glitch because the smaller the projectile speed compared to the movement speed, the higher the damage bonus/malus.

On the other hand this makes advisable for a victim to ride away from the HA. Same here, irl one would expect normal damage if a HA chases another cav when both move at the same speed. In Warband only the victim speed counts and he rides away from the arrow resulting in less damage than normal. Mounted thrower suffer the most from this.

Same for infantry but of course the impact is small because of the low movement speed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:41:00 am by Paul »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:59:33 am »
You only get no speed bonus from your own movement speed. The targets speed does count. For the damage calc(but not for trajectory calc) every projectile is handled as if it is launched from a static position.

This has some interesting effects with horse archery too. So imagine a HA who is chased by another cav, both at same speed and the HA is shooting backwards at the cav. Irl one would expect normal damage because shooter and target are moving at the same speed. But it is different in Warband physics. Here it thinks the arrow is launched from static postion and the target is moving towards the arrow, resulting in extra damage. A mounted thrower would even profit the most from this glitch because the smaller the projectile speed compared to the movement speed, the higher the damage bonus/malus.

On the other hand this makes advisable for a victim to ride away from the HA. Same here, irl one would expect normal damage if a HA chases another cav when both move at the same speed. In Warband only the victim speed counts and he rides away from the arrow resulting in less damage than normal. Mounted thrower suffer the most from this.

Same for infantry but of course the impact is small because of the low movement speed.
Interesting. While where at it, in melee does the attackers oder attacked or both speed count? and how its with charge damage?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:23:30 pm »
I think for melee speed bonus works correctly.

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »
Anyway to change that mechanic with WSE?
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
I got a question for my javcav build: for a 21/18 build should i go for 3 PS 4 Riding or just put it all into riding with 1 SP over? I would use the steppe horse for good maneuver, as i dont really need speed that much.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 04:28:51 pm »
Wasn't this getting fixed with WSE, Paul?
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.