Author Topic: Running in cRPG  (Read 21067 times)

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Running in cRPG
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:29:34 am »
+46
I have been conducting tests to determine what factors modify how fast a character runs. To do this I measured the time taken to run along a fixed path. The path chosen was across the center of the arena map. This path was selected because it was readily accessible on the NA Strategus-duel server, had walls as fixed starting and stopping points, had a visually distinguishable marking on the far wall that allowed for path alignment, and was a reasonable approximation for the types of terrain common to open areas found in cRPG battlefields. The first picture below shows the starting point used for these tests from an overhead perspective. The second image shows an over the shoulder perspective from the starting position and the use of the throwing reticule of a ladder for the alignment procedure to the arch on the opposing wall.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

A stopwatch was used to measure the time taken to run from the starting position to the time the first sign of lateral deflection was seen when running into the far wall. All run time values reported here are taken from the average result of three individual run times at each test condition. Time measurement precision was better than 100 milliseconds for each test conditions using this method. This amounts to a worst-case measurement error of less than 1%. Different agility and athletics combination were achieved using 6 different characters. Character strength and level had no effect on run times. All test were preformed with empty hands unless otherwise noted. Weighting was achieved with a combination of armor and carried objects (weapons, shields, ladders, etc.) Weight of worn armor and weight of carried objects was found to be interchangeable and additive for the purposes of the run time increase due to weight. So carrying two 15 weight ladders, carrying one 15 weight ladder and wearing 15 weight of armor, and wearing 30 weight of armor all yielded the same run times.

The following plot shows the run times for characters with different combinations of agility, athletics, and weight.
(click to show/hide)

From this plot it can be seen that the increase in run time is approximately linear with increasing weight. The increase in run time resulting from a 15 weight increase is approximately equal to a decrease of 6 agility and 2 athletics. The effects of weight on both the absolute and relative running times were larger for character with higher agility and athletics:

60 weight run time/ 0 weight run time                               60 weight run time - 0 weight run time
Agility   3 and Athletics 1:                        1.13                                                                            3.21 seconds
Agility 15 and Athletics 5:                        1.20                                                                            4.21 seconds
Agility 27 and Athletics 9:                        1.24                                                                            4.48 seconds

Tests were also conducted to separate the effects of agility and athletics. The following plot shows the run times for 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 agility with 0 athletics.
(click to show/hide)

The following plots show the run times for 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 agility with between 0 athletics and the maximum athletic possible at each agility.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

From these plot it can be seen that increasing agility and athletics independently reduces run time, and increasing athletics by 1 is approximately equal to increasing agility by 4 to 5 in terms of decreasing run time.

Held weapons cause an additional run time increase based on weapon weight and weapon length. The following plot shows the run times for a 27 agility and 9 athletics character carrying 15 total weight of equipment and holding different weapons.
(click to show/hide)

From this plot it can be seen that an increase in weapon length will increase run time for a given weapon weight, and an increase in weapon weight will increase run time for a given weapon length. One-handed weapons appear to count as more weight than two-handed or polearm weapons of the same in game weight for the purposes of this run time increase:

Listed one-handed weapon weight                      Effective weight for calculation
                 1                                                                         1.5
                1.5                                                                        2
                 2                                                                          3

The run time increase due to held weapons appears to be additive to the run time increase due to carried weight as all of the run time verses weapon length lines can be fitted well with a run time-axis intercept of 20 seconds, which is the run time for the 27 agility and 9 athletics character used for this test while carrying 15 weight of equipment with no held weapon. The magnitude of the slopes for the different weapon weight lines have a linear relationship with weapon weight as seen the following plot.
(click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, only the trends can be generalized as both the relative and absolute changes in run time due to held weapons vary with agility, athletics, and weight. However, the linear behavior does allow for interpolation for all weapons using a relatively small number of tests for a given agility, athletics, and weight combination.

Holding a single shield was found to increase run time by the same amount as adding the weight of the shield as armor or carried weight. However, holding one shield while wearing another on your back was found increased the run time as if the character was carrying significantly more weight then they actual were. For example, the run time for a 27 agility and 9 athletics character carrying 15 weight of items including one held shield and one worn shield was equal to that of the same character carrying 60 weight of items.

Moving forward while blocking or chambering an attack increased run time by 17% + or - 1%. Back peddling increased run time by 52% + or - 2%. Back peddling while blocking or chambering an attack increased run time by 53% + or - 2%. These finding suggest that whatever mechanism is responsible for the run time increase due to blocking/chamber while moving forward is nearly inoperative while back peddling. So, you might as well spam or turtle while backing up...

Rain increased run times by 8.5% + or - 0.5%. Fog has no effect on run time. Interestingly, the weather you observe has limited significance on the actual weather effect you will experience. I think this is the result of the weather effect on running (and I would assume crossbows) being determined when the map loads but the graphical effects being determined when a player joins the server.

EDIT: Corrected dead link
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:13:44 am by WaltF4 »

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
Re: Running in cRPG
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:37:45 am »
+2
I desperately need a summary of this so I don't have to read all of that technical mumbo-jumbo.  :shock:

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:40 am »
I had no idea weather did anything except look cool or annoying.

Also, am I to understand that carrying a weapon makes you move slower than sheathing the weapon, depending on length and weight? So on top of my total weight causing me to be slower, which includes the weapon, if I bring out my German Great Sword and just carry it, I am even slower?
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuckĀ’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Jan_van_Zuidwijk

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Rawr.... I'm a bear :D
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jean_Baptiste_Morin
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:58:14 am »
I desperately need a summary of this so I don't have to read all of that technical mumbo-jumbo.  :shock:

Yeah? And maybe he can translate it into Swahili as well.
Quote from: meatwedge_mk2
What is this? The fucking 'tincan' section of woolworths?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:23:51 am »
WaltF4 wins internet again

To summarize for the lazy people (although I still think you should read the whole WaltF4 post):

- total equipment weight decreases your speed (doesn't matter whether it's weapons or gear, it's all additive to same value)
- ath increases your speed
- agi increases your speed (1ath = 4-5 agi)
- higher agi characters suffer more speed penalty by weight
- held weapons decrease speed based on weapon weight AND weapon length (meaning - weight:5 2H decreases more than weight:5 1H)
- carrying a shield on the back while holding another shield decreases speed by a lot more than the weight sum should
- moving while blocking/chambering decreases speed
- back peddling decreases speed by about 50%
- back peddling while blocking/chambering speed decrease is about the same as while back peddling without blocking/chambering
- rain decreases speed

If something is incorrect or missing, please correct me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:30:26 pm by Vibe »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:08:14 am »
- back peddling while blocking/chambering speed decrease is about the same as while moving forward

Back peddling gives a -52% decrease in speed, while chambering/blocking while back peddling gives a -53% speed decrease. So there's no reason not to spam attacks or turtle while back peddling.

Btw, thanks for the information Walt.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Perceval

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:14 am »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:15:48 am »
Back peddling gives a -52% decrease in speed, while chambering/blocking while back peddling gives a -53% speed decrease.

Fixed

Offline Kryser

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Teutonic
  • Game nicks: TwoTon_Feuer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:39:25 am »
I wish every thread on this forum was started by walt. Thank you sir. Your knowledge is vast and beautiful.
Again, it was good fun playing with you guys. Kryser is one of the funniest motherfuckers I ever met btw. Cheesy Biscuits.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »
+1
weight and athletics (perhaps agi also) seem to affect the acceleration much more than the top speed. I imagine that the differences in the first plot will be much more dramatic if the running distance was considerably shorter. For battle movement the acceleration is much more important than the top speed.

Offline Poetrydog

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Poetrydog, Fallen_Santa_Rudolph, Fallen_Poetryfox
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:52 pm »
Great post! Could be interesting to also hear about acceleration. This should definitely be added to the crpg wiki!  :)
Once more, great job Walt!  :D
Quote from: RamsesXXIX
Running around naked with 80 other guys.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:10:12 pm »
+1
Thank you for this!
The weapon length making you go slower I wasn't sure on and this clarifies a lot. I think all high agi/ath characters will now be sheathing when running.

Agi increasing run speed independent on athletics I was never sure about.
And jesus christ do I wish it would stop raining all the time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:12:16 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 04:26:56 pm »
*applauds*

Kudos to Walt for all the testing and the interesting report. Thanks! +1 to all of you good testers.

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »
Wow...how much sparetime have u got?

Offline Astinus