Author Topic: Game mechanic megathread!  (Read 88308 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Game mechanic megathread!
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2014, 09:05:24 pm »
If it's anything like ladders in strat, the weight still affects you after you throw the ladder.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2014, 03:23:07 pm »
+1
For archery, is the only thing accuracy effects the size of the reticule? Or is there variation between where the reticule is pointed and where the arrows land, and it's greater with lower accuracy and vice versa? Also, how much does a smaller reticule matter if you're shooting in third person, and are using the bottom of the whole thing to aim anyway, not the dead center? I'm trying to decide between 18/24 and 21/21, and if the extra accuracy with 8wm vs. 7wm is worth the loss of the 1PD, which I might need with non-loomed stuff on an alt.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:32:19 pm by Dooz »

Offline Falene

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
  • Game nicks: Fa
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2014, 12:09:02 am »
+7
Hey guys.
I don't know most formulas and I'm not a game mechanics guru, but I was decided after patch 0.4.0.0 to understand a few of those mechanics.

I was trying to make sense of the Armor Weight / Strength / IF / WPF relationship. This may be old news to most of you, but in the process I've come up with a few tables, and I think those tables helped me a great deal to visualize some of the stuff happening. I find those tables quite useful, so I'll post them here, hoping that some of you may find them useful also :)
Note : most values and conclusions here are drawn from the current Character planner (http://tinyurl.com/crpgcalc), which I assume is up to date.

First, a recap. The weight of all armor pieces your character wears negatively impacts your WPF. This impact can be really significant.

For the purpose of moving speed calculations, weight of feet, body, hand and head armour are added up equally to the total weight you carry. This is not so when it comes to WPF penalties.
Inside WPF penalty formula, Body Armour weight and Feet Armour weight have the same influence ; but Head Armour weight is twice as severe, and Glove Armor weight six times as severe (contrary to the factor of 4 pre-patch, as written by the OP).
=> Pondered Armor Weight (PAW) = BodyWeight + FeetWeight + (HelmetWeight * 2) + (GloveWeight * 6)

(click to show/hide)

Things look bad for armor, heh ? Well, not hopelessly bad. Above 15 strength, you character starts to mitigate some of those penalties. At 4 IF and higher also. IF influence and strength influence are not cumulative, though. Whichever has most impact is used. 4 IF has same impact than 21 strength, after that each IF point is as good as 6 more strength. The remaining of this post will show a few simulations of this effect.

Note : I guess the true formula integrates oddities such as caps, min and maxes stuff based on str and IF directly inside it, and live happily ever after without even the slightest notion of a "Base Penalty". But hey, modeled that way, those results do hold in fact, and I find it much simpler to think about it.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

That's it for the tables. Now, what does it tell us ?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

That'll be all for tonight, folks.

[Edit] : I've just realized that "Pondered" means nothing near what I meant  :oops:. I meant "Pondérée" as the word "Weighted" in "Weighted Average".
But since that post is about item weight all over the place, I don't feel like replacing Pondered by Weighted everywhere and keep it clear (or I'm being lazy...).
Oh, well... cheer up, you've just learned a new french word  :P

[Edit] (*) : For the fun, I've tried to add, for each gear example above, an evaluation of the running speed with different agi builds, using WaltF4 curves (http://forum.melee.org/beginner%27s-help-and-guides/running-in-crpg/). I guess those mechanics were hard coded by M&B team and thus didn't evolve much. I've taken the liberty of eye-smoothing WaltF4 graphs, and I'm taking the lower left of his graph as a reference speed of 100% (which should roughly correspond to the speed of a 10 Athletics-guy running around with no armor and no weapon).
Note : carrying other stuff, as well as holding a weapon in hand may alter those speed values in a non linear way, based on weapon weight and length. Please refer to WaltF4 post for further information.
Further note : As pointer out by somebody in the speed thread, those graphs on running speeds may not accurately reflect differences in acceleration, which, to my knowledge, are yet to be thoroughly tested.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:45:02 pm by Falene »

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:40 pm »
http://forum.melee.org/beginner's-help-and-guides/running-in-crpg/

That last link is where you can get the most information about movement speed.

WaltF4s tests are kinda old though (that one is from 2011), but I don't think they changed how movement speed worked at any point so...

Cheers for the detailed explanation!

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2015, 02:35:58 am »
For any items,
does difficulty go up, as heirloom level goes up?

Especially, does horse difficulty increase as you heirloom them?
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2015, 09:26:44 pm »
Difficulty doesn't change when looming, nor does the upkeep. If you click on the icon of the item in the shop and then click on the tab "ranks", you can see what looming changes.

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • Renown: 172
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2015, 02:49:36 pm »
changing weapons reduce movement speed? Iam not sure. Also does blocking with hands reduce dmg of headshots? Jumping from buildings add speed dmg to weapon dmg?

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2015, 03:23:06 pm »
  • When you switch weapons, yes, you slow down, just like when you block or nudge.
  • Covering your face, by blocking without a weapon, or blocking right with a polearm, makes projectiles hit the arms instead of your face, so yes.
  • I don't think so.

Offline fanpaopao

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2015, 03:06:51 pm »
i have a question. how does  distance affect  ranged damage?  i know i will deal low damage if i shooting  far away from my target , but what is the exact formula about this?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:12:32 pm by fanpaopao »

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2015, 01:10:51 pm »
Guide is sieeeet. Many game mechanics not described here.

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2015, 06:22:39 pm »
agility increase weapon swing/shoot time?

Offline Fjup

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2015, 01:42:59 pm »
+1
Hello, I am trying to start over after a year of innactivity and I am a little bit lost. Doey anybody please know the current WPF weight threshold formula? I've found these:
4.1.0: max(6, Str/3 + IF)
4.0.0: max(IF*2, strength/3 + 1) with a minimum of 6

idk what version is server running on because of this thread...? Would be very nice (and easier for newbies) if real WPF could be seen in the web interface (same as many other hidden mechanics...) :rolleyes:

Offline Jarl_Onurb

• Count
  • Renown: 201
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Onurb
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:22 am »
+2
Bump

I need an updated Efective WPF formula. Thank you very much.