Author Topic: Buffed Characters  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Buffed Characters
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:45:04 am »
In short:
Buffing everyone without changing the current balance, or whatever the devs change it to be.

The reason:
(click to show/hide)

Some of your possible answer:
(click to show/hide)
My answer to their answer:
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Buffed Characters
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:38 am »
+1
Close the door on your way out  :arrow: :arrow:

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
I guess you are new to cRPG, back in the days there was no lvl cap, and ppl could level to 40+, wpf was gain in a higher rate, meaning you could have 200+wpf or be almost good in every weapons, not slot system meaning you can grab all the stuff you want like a swiss knife.
Well the mod was pretty enjoyable to veteran, pwning the fuckin´peasant all over the time.
In fact it becomes quickly lame, u.realistic and broke game mechanics (lighning fast strike, arrows release before end of animation). It becomes unplayable for new and casual players.

chadz always said that he didn´t want his mod to be a wow warband, grinding and leveling is not the final goal of cRPG.
I see many difference with native, first his customization, you can do almost everything and what you want, but for sure you have to male choice, you can´t be good in everything, you can be hybrid but you will have to be average or with average gears.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:09 am »
@Vibe
Very creative
I am trying to share my thoughts in here. If you (this you refers to forum users) have a constructive comment don't beware. Even if it is an opposite argument I would be glad to hear.

@gheritarish
Hmm yes actually I am quite new to this mod. Well I have not seen those days and they do not really sound good. But compared to the recent version it sounds somewhat better. Instead of slow motion I prefer fast motion. It would be more fun and more challenging to the experienced players to block fast swings and avoiding arrows. It sound more anime-like.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:25 pm »
+1
@Vibe
Very creative
I am trying to share my thoughts in here. If you (this you refers to forum users) have a constructive comment don't beware. Even if it is an opposite argument I would be glad to hear.

@gheritarish
Hmm yes actually I am quite new to this mod. Well I have not seen those days and they do not really sound good. But compared to the recent version it sounds somewhat better. Instead of slow motion I prefer fast motion. It would be more fun and more challenging to the experienced players to block fast swings and avoiding arrows. It sound more anime-like.

No to the bolded part.

As the the original post. Jack-of-all trade characters do not appeal to me, for we might as well play native if people can branch out into innumerable roles.

I like that under the current system a character has to be built to perform only a handful of roles, thus making abttlefield specialization more special, and rewarding teamwork and eliminating the "rambo" syndrom. It also helps make characters more unique.

With cRPG, leveling up and reaching level 30 or beyond does turn you into a "powerful" character when looking within the game itself and compared to other cRPG characters. I am also fine with this.

I also disagree that battles are too slow. We still end up far more often then not with 100 players gloriously slaughtering one another in under five minutes at least on the NA servers. Also given the average skill level in cRPG I don't think we need more of a "challenge" for players to dodge arrows considering the average amount of fail I see in that department... -_- As for the melee part of being more challenging with faster combat speeds, again people seem to be challenged just fine with the current speeds.

Faster looks cool, but in practice I am just not a fan of it for Mount and Blade. We already have epic duels as well as quick dirty fights with the current system. We also already have a rampant amount of "one-shotting" going around so I don't think people need much of a buff considering it is already possible to make a character who chops down everyone in one or two swings (unlike native).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:15:56 pm »
+12
One of the differences between cRPG and other/real MMOs is that you are not born a hero, you have to earn it. Grinding will not make you perfect or impenetrable - if you, as a player, don't have the skill to use your character, it's pretty useless. This means you need high player skills to be a hero, and not everyone will become one, and that is good.

It is somewhat true that at first glance the character development results in something similar to native. But if you have a closer look, you will see all the fine nuances in the character development. Everyone has preferences, his own skill magix, etc etc.

cRPG is not, and should never be, about playing longer to get an advantage. It's 80% player skill and 20% char skill, and I think we like it that way. There are enough alternatives where it's the otherway around :)

edit:
cRPG is claimed to be a RPG and RPG means leveling up in those days. leveling up to be a fantasticly powerful character.

I think we disagree on the definition :)

RPG means RolePlayingGame. When I started playing that didn't mean leveling, it meant you play as a different character. I am sorry if that confused you :)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:22:45 pm by chadz »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »
+1 for chadz, but give us the santa hat back! :D We need it for our santa subclan, it has serious rp approach behind it and we need the hat for it to be complete :(.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »
Yeah it´s sad that for commercial reason the gaming producer have turn rpg into leveling/grinding game (something like wow).

I guess it´s why many of us prefer playing indie games, to found the spirit of old games where fun and discovery were first over great design and uber power character.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »
The tick is:
cRPG is claimed to be a RPG and RPG means leveling up in those days. leveling up to be a fantasticly powerful character. Yet cRPG does not gives this taste to the player, but for a no lifer that has 18 heirloomed items and +30 above level. And I am not a no lifer. I play games to have fun and enjoy my time not only for levelling up my character and leveling up to nothing.[/spoiler]

Fucking fail

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »
cRPG is not, and should never be, about playing longer to get an advantage. It's 80% player skill and 20% char skill, and I think we like it that way. There are enough alternatives where it's the otherway around :)

edit:
I think we disagree on the definition :)

RPG means RolePlayingGame. When I started playing that didn't mean leveling, it meant you play as a different character. I am sorry if that confused you :)
Aah you got me wrong. I did not mean that. I meant definition of RPG is expanded. By "Role playing", I meant something similiar to what reasonable people do in PWmod; and by RPG i meant something similiar to what every people do in cRPG mod. In cRPG mod the only thing people focus is to killing enemy and leveling up during the process. That is a type of RPG, not role playing; according to the gaming industry.
Of course there may be some people who are trying to Role play. But I have never seen a one yet.

Edit:
Ehm... and I must add something. I am playing as an archer in the cRPG, at least I was (before got bored). And despite my level 30 character, my character is still far more useless than it's Native counterparts. In native I can shoot accurately from a veeery distant target with ease, but in cRPG I can't. Plus a heavily armored guy takes 4-5 shoots to kill if you're not using a long bow and Long bow is incredibly slow. You both have to shoot from close distance and have to decide: slow but effective shoots or fast but unefficient shoots, or maybe something between those.
Of course those limitations are needed to provide the balance. I can not imagine how long people would whine because of archers if it would be powerful as I want. But it is not fun playing as a skilless archer, which leads to a boring game. My time is wasting under a time labeled "woohoo I'm getting xp when playing yeeehoooaaaa". All is a deception. If the game deflects it purpose away from having good time to getting xp it becomes something else. That's all I've got to say.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:16:25 pm by Ronin »

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:39:57 pm »
Edit:
Ehm... and I must add something. I am playing as an archer in the cRPG, at least I was (before got bored). And despite my level 30 character, my character is still far more useless than it's Native counterparts. In native I can shoot accurately from a veeery distant target with ease, but in cRPG I can't. Plus a heavily armored guy takes 4-5 shoots to kill if you're not using a long bow and Long bow is incredibly slow. You both have to shoot from close distance and have to decide: slow but effective shoots or fast but unefficient shoots, or maybe something between those.
Of course those limitations are needed to provide the balance. I can not imagine how long people would whine because of archers if it would be powerful as I want. But it is not fun playing as a skilless archer, which leads to a boring game. My time is wasting under a time labeled "woohoo I'm getting xp when playing yeeehoooaaaa". All is a deception. If the game deflects it purpose away from having good time to getting xp it becomes something else. That's all I've got to say.
We constantly get people who come from the same point of view as you. And it's almost always because they haven't played this game in its optimum way. This is a team game. You really need to join a clan or some kind of group and play using strategies rather than just personal skill to get the most out of it. People get confused cause personal skill can be so powerful on its own, but that's not the true goal of this game. If you've ever gone on battle and seen one team scatter out and try to take out whatever's convenient for each individual person, and the other team just move around in a massive mob, it becomes obvious which tactic is superior very quickly.

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »
+1
As a newb to the game. I prefer the current system because, while you may not be as good, it adds realism that many games lack. It feels great to play a game where you feel human while playing. I may not be that skilled but I know it's not because the other guy has grinded for so long that his char OP, but that he beats me because he has more skill because he played the game longer. It fills me with satisfaction to see my guy one-shotted in the face because I know that someone would die from that. 

@ Ronin: If you aren't satisfied with being an archer, then I would suggest going with a crossbowmen. Yes, they take forever to load, but they allow you to take your time to get accurate shots off. They don't need any skill besides strength to use them too so you can mix it with a 1h shield or 2h build. Hope you find a way to enjoy this mod  :D
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:36:04 am »
In native I can shoot accurately from a veeery distant target with ease, but in cRPG I can't.

In the old days it was piece of cake, now that they "balanced" the archery it's.....still doable.

Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 03:39:03 pm »
+1
I agree with Tears and chadz completely.

And finally it needs to be underlined that cRPG is not primarily about levelling your character but your own skill.
I have been playing for almost a year of warband (some 850 hours) around 9 months of cRPG. I can hardly call myself average but that is because I'm a sucker at action games.

What people need to understand is that when Georges run around with his spamberge and plate, it is not the equipment doing the kills. We see lots of failed clones. The guy (strange as it may be) actually knows how to play. I use him becuase he is a good example. New players think that they can go to level 30 buy the expensive equipment and start chopping the enemy. That is not the case.

Jorm and Bifi from my clan make more kills at lvl 23 that I do at 30 (almost...). They know how to block 95% of the attacks... I get 65% on a good day. I make a decent faint every fourth time, they make it every other. I chamber by luck, they do it on purpose.
When you start to realize this, you will find it far more fun to level your own s(kill) and not your characters.

Tristan over'n'out.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 05:43:55 pm »
+1
cRPG is claimed to be a RPG and RPG means leveling up in those days.
This line baffles me. Please don't generalize one genre with personal views.

RPG = Role Playing Game

See the word Role Playing? That is what mattered even more to me, besides, personal skills > levels > equipments.