Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Recent hackings  (Read 39958 times)

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: Recent hackings
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »
Zealot i'll put that 20 into server donations know you would.

You read me like a book.

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »
Everyone, please stop using this incident to fuel your little flamewars. This doesn't means it's the goons fault. Stop blaming entire groups for single actions. Just try and stay civil about it until it's resolved, mkay

Yes dominus. Your will my hands.

My finger remains on the button though, just give the word.  :twisted:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LLJK_Fellblade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Voted best LARPer Calgary 2010
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lots and Lots of Jolly Knights
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Fellblade
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2011, 05:55:39 pm »
Fine with me, though it seems there would've been no drama at all if you didn't publically state that it was an LLJK 'member'.

Offline Linx

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Keepers of Abaddon
  • Game nicks: Shadow_Linx_of_Abaddon
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2011, 05:56:29 pm »
I suggest a lock on this topic and updates as you go, chadz. Too many personal feelings getting in the way of what's important: the fun of the game. These people who perpetrated the attacks on the characters had only one thing in mind: ruining the fun of others, and lulz.

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2011, 05:59:07 pm »
My finger remains on the button though, just give the word.  :twisted:

As does mine.

Well at least the recent troubles can be put to rest, but are the web developers going to put further security than what is stated in the OP? Such as the password confirmation thing on changing passwords, or someone suggested something similar to Steam Gaurd (Simple, yet effective), although that would be time consuming.

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2011, 05:59:45 pm »
Everyone, please stop using this incident to fuel your little flamewars. This doesn't means it's the goons fault. Stop blaming entire groups for single actions. Just try and stay civil about it until it's resolved, mkay

Well gee chadz you did come in here and tell everyone that an LLJK member was responsible but wouldn't tell anyone the name. Not sure what else you could expect from doing something like that except a witch-hunt.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 06:37:54 pm »
i am confused...
if... people didn't have alts, or had their alts passworded... how... did they get hacked?

i guess maybe there needs to be email verification. send an email for a sale, for character deletion and stuff, if its verified by the email, problem solved yeh?
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline downer

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: downer
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 06:40:32 pm »
As a victim of the hackers AND a member of LLJK (and also one of the less 'goony' members of the clan), I feel I can speak fairly intelligently about this.. Even if I don't know who this has been traced to.

Although LLJK is a group of people who don't take games very seriously at all, I don't really think a true member of LLJK would have done this. There is a great core of people in the clan who don't just take all of their spare time to shit on everything in this game.

When my items were stolen, I posted on our forums that I was probably done with the game; here are some of the responses I got.

That sucks pretty hard. I just sold a few heirlooms and got quite a bit of cash. I'd be willing to float (no need to repay) you 300K to get started again, if you still want to play. It sucks to get robbed, but it doesn't have to be the end of your CRPG time, unless you want it to be.

Talk with the developers and if they can't get it sorted out i'm sure between me and a few other rich uncle pennybags we could get you at least in a few +1s, maybe not what you had, but it's a start.

Why STF if you have decent build and brother goons throwing money at your feet

e: ill dish in 100k if needed

Save downer fund by LLJK

Will donate 200k if Downer can't get his items back, but he should on IRC cuz this has happened before.

Do you have any extra accounts on your serial when you click that little drop down menu? I pledge 100k.

I can guarantee to you all that we're not sitting on TS every night planning nefarious deeds to topple cRPG. We're running around naked, oiled up and bashing each other with practice swords.

And to Ecko: For someone who was directly responsible for the password leak for your servers (by giving admin to people that obviously couldn't be trusted with it), to putting a feature on your community website that could be partially responsible for this rash of 'hackings,' you're awfully quick to 'push the button' on LLJK.. whatever that means.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:41:49 pm by downer »

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »
Well gee chadz you did come in here and tell everyone that an LLJK member was responsible but wouldn't tell anyone the name. Not sure what else you could expect from doing something like that except a witch-hunt.

I have to agree with this. You don't want drama and flamewars, but you have potentially slandered an entire group of players who are already the centre of a lot of apparently undesired controversy. If it turns out this person wasn't even affiliated with the lljk group then you'll have done a lot of damage just with that information. Either release the in game name of the player responsible, or don't say anything about them at all, just say "a responsible party has been identified and we are dealing with them.".

Since it's too late for the latter, you should do the former to head things off before they get out of hand. Locking the thread will just let it fester and possibly continue on somewhere else. If you didn't want a flamewar to start, you shouldn't have needlessly provided the fuel, and telling people to close the door won't stop the house from burning.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 06:50:19 pm »
lljk's only entrance requirement is a membership on a forum with 150000 users, this group punishment fetish certain community members have is literally retarded when applied to lljk. i mean, good lord it's dumb. not regular dumb even. it boggles my mind. i'm pretty sure i could slam my face into the keyboard (my playing style) a coupel times and type up  a more sensible solution, here
FREE ALLERS

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 07:02:06 pm »
lljk's only entrance requirement is a membership on a forum with 150000 users, this group punishment fetish certain community members have is literally retarded when applied to lljk. i mean, good lord it's dumb. not regular dumb even. it boggles my mind. i'm pretty sure i could slam my face into the keyboard (my playing style) a coupel times and type up  a more sensible solution, here

Weren't you LLJK ?

Offline Slantedfloors

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Slanted
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:50 pm »
Weren't you LLJK ?
A_BEAR_IRL is one of our three ursine members, yes.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2011, 07:20:51 pm »

Yeah ATS stop blaming entire groups for single actions.   :lol:

Also, chadz you kind of did this yourself when you said the guy that is in trouble for hacking was an LLJK member with out actually checking if they were in fact a LLJK member.   :mrgreen:

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 07:34:53 pm »
Needless to say, an emotionless ban is the other side of the coin :)
Hopefully it is an emotionless IP ban because otherwise it isnt that hard or expensive to buy another copy of Warband and create a new account.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:04 pm »
Hopefully it is an emotionless IP ban because otherwise it isnt that hard or expensive to buy another copy of Warband and create a new account.

On the other hand, it is even easier and also free to change your IP.

When I worked at Swirve, if we wanted soemone gone, we did a Machine Ban. Checks the computer's unique identity and bans it. Not sure what the details of it were as that was not our job, but it worked like a charm as it is harder (as well as less common knowledge) to change it.

So, in this case, I think a CD key ban would be approrpriate for any sort of ban on cRPG as it works better then IP.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.