Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Recent hackings  (Read 39970 times)

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
Re: IMPORTANT: Recent hackings
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 01:13:37 pm »
Or maybe they live for their greed. Anyway if they like to be punished lets have them get what they want it doesn't bother me at all

Offline Varric

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
  • Lord of the Sun
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangians
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 01:13:54 pm »
And some for dem sweet ass looms.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 01:52:18 pm »
Good to know you guys are on top of this.

Props for the quick response, guys. Keeping me addicted for even longer now
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 01:57:51 pm »
Or maybe they live for their greed. Anyway if they like to be punished lets have them get what they want it doesn't bother me at all

This. They can lol as much as they want, but they got caught. They lost. They are losers. chadz and his team will fix everything, proving that administration system is solid and functioning. And then they will be punished by chadz and community itself. That's all to it.

Indeed, world is no sweet place, but we could at least keep some order in this little world "cRPG" that was created and raised up with so much dedication and love from chadz, devs and community.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 02:11:17 pm »
Actually, I've started to see people doing this as a natural disasters. It doesn't really matter who's causing it, just that it will happen eventually and that you should be prepared or do the clean-up afterwards.

I couldn't care less who's behind it, I just want to stop it. Needless to say, an emotionless ban is the other side of the coin :)

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »
Most of you probably noticed (some poor lads even first hand) that there was a lot of hacking going on lately. People logged into other players accounts and tried to cause havoc in it. Mostly by selling heirlooms or by resetting chars.

a) Will those chars be restored.

Yes, definately. We will not allow anyone's fun and effort to be ruined by incidents like this. It will probably be a lot of work though, so just hang in there. Every transaction is logged, so it can be verified and restored. We will announce it when we have the tools&admins ready to reestablish the belongings.

b) How does it work.

It is, as far as I can see (the investigation isn't finished yet) related to the unpassed alts. Everyone can log into your account if you have no password set, all he needs is the name. We are currently believing, though not verified, that the reason why it got so easy is the NA stats. All you have to do is search for a player, check for some low level alt and hope for the best. I assume that works really well. This would also explain why it started when the stats were released and why it is mostly NA accounts that got hacked.

c) What are we doing about it.

Right now, we disabled logging into unpassworded alts. So this means you cannot use alts as a password retrieving tool for now. We will be changing the system entirely - when you join a server with a new alt, you will receive a 4 digit password that you can then enter into the website. This should deal with this exploit. However, this requires a website and a cRPG patch, and could take some time. We're trying to deal with this as fast as possible though.
Edit: actually, we changed it a bit. You now have 120 seconds to log into an alt before it gets impossible to login via this alt. Then you'd have to create a new alt and login within 120 seconds again. This should make it impossible for alt-guessers.

We're really sorry about this, and even further sorry that this will delay strategus ;)

But we're working on it, and all will be back to normal.

PS: please make sure your password is secure (not easily guessable). If you think your account got compromised, change your password.

Good news, and after what happened to me recently ive decided on a new pass each week.
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Garrus

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Imperial Potato Peeler
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Vakarian, GK_Garrus, Puncinella, GK_DrZoidberg
  • IRC nick: Garrus
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
We're really sorry about this, and even further sorry that this will delay strategus ;)

He's the master of excuses :D

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 03:29:24 pm »
so far, one member of LLJK failed to cover his tracks properly and was banned for causing many of those incidents. We are currently investigating further to see if there were helpers.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 03:30:43 pm »
so far, one member of LLJK failed to cover his tracks properly and was banned for causing many of those incidents. We are currently investigating further to see if there were helpers.

knew it, well my paranoia had figured that is the correct way to say that
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:31:51 pm by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 03:54:21 pm »
People who dod that must definitely understand that they are getting their clan reputation really bad

Offline Dan lol

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • ROLLINROLLINROLLINROLLIN
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: If you can't handle me at my durst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my fredst.
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 04:05:13 pm »
so who here is on board the strategus goon wipe rape train now?

JABONRA
His mother's asshole, I tragedy

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 04:08:08 pm »
Our world is full of shit cause of such irresponsible and selfish, and furthermore - stupid people.

Love it when Russians talk. I imagine the accent and think how cool it sounds.

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 04:13:33 pm »

Care to release the name? This will come as a shock to most of the clan, and by god some private lynchings will be done internally.

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 04:15:55 pm »

b) How does it work.

It is, as far as I can see (the investigation isn't finished yet) related to the unpassed alts. Everyone can log into your account if you have no password set, all he needs is the name. We are currently believing, though not verified, that the reason why it got so easy is the NA stats. All you have to do is search for a player, check for some low level alt and hope for the best. I assume that works really well. This would also explain why it started when the stats were released and why it is mostly NA accounts that got hacked.

But we're working on it, and all will be back to normal.

PS: please make sure your password is secure (not easily guessable). If you think your account got compromised, change your password.

I thought this as well, but goretooth has no alts. So how did he get hacked?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 04:17:35 pm »
Goretooth was hacked in a different, and actually way more advanced way. Everyone that got hacked can contact me in irc so we can check how it worked.

Care to release the name?

Not yet, we first want to have a talk with him.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:21:49 pm by chadz »