Author Topic: Strat economics discussed after news from chadz.  (Read 6596 times)

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Strat economics discussed after news from chadz.
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:00 pm »
When money into the system > Money out of the system -> Inflation -> Crap economy.

So if

Money earned in CRPG > Money spent on upkeep.  -> Take a guess.

This is a basic economic fact and one that is not being adressed.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »
When money into the system > Money out of the system -> Inflation -> Crap economy.

So if

Money earned in CRPG > Money spent on upkeep.  -> Take a guess.

This is a basic economic fact and one that is not being adressed.

inflation != crap economy.

But it's true cRPG lacks a real goldsink. Like a skill or partial respec merchant or something like that. Many possible solutions exist.

Now, I'm pleased with the dev choice. cRPG and Strat gold seem to be separated exactly like I suggested :P

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2011, 05:50:54 pm »
+1
Yeah, that's kind of the point. Large landowning faction should be able to crush random ragtag group from nowhere. Where does the money (or more exactly the gear and troops) come from? Imo all should come from strategus and be conquerable there. Yep, it will make it very hard for newcomers to establish themselves but where exactly is it written that everyone should be able to have land? Heck, I remember back then many people from destroyed factions complained that you were actually allowed to conquer their lands. But what isn't earned isn't worth it (*). I think if it is done right it would be far more interesting.

Clans should rise and fall not based on how much shit they have had in the past, but how well they operate. Just because you own a bunch of fiefs and shit shouldn't make you untouchable to little new clans. I agree you should be able to beat them in most cases but this really puts off new players. Literally the worst thing in strat is stagnation, which is what we had towards the end before it got shut down. Everyone who owned land was just kind of sitting around consolidating their shit because they didn't want to risk a war and lose it. Makes sense, large land factions will always be hesitant to do anything that might risk losing their territory.

This is where we need the little clans and new guys. They have nothing to lose, they are the instigators and agents of change. I'm not sure exactly how to work it but I would like to see them be able to recoup troops at maybe a faster rate than large factions, but not in a larger total quantity. Also I think that once factions reach a specific size(could be whatever we decide on) after that point taking new land doesn't benefit them linearly. That is to say, if you are a small faction and you take 2 towns, you get 2x the benefit. If you are already very large, you take 2 towns and maybe only get 1.25x the benefit. The incentive for growth is still there for both sizes of factions.

Encouraging more factions will be way more interesting because people are crazy/smart/stupid/sneaky/backstabbing/loyal. The more wheeling and dealing we have with factions and diplomacy the more active and interesting strategus will be.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:53:05 pm by Beans »

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2011, 06:17:52 pm »
Can't say I'm pleased that gold isn't transferable, but that doesn't mean new strat won't be different. I guess strategus ignores the fact that armies were paid in gold though, regardless of how you got that gold. From merchants, bribes, fiefs, gold was just that, gold. Whoever had the most, generally had the best troops, maybe not the most experienced, but certainly the best equipped and possibly the largest force. Strategus is linear in both aspects, troop recruitment and quality of equipment. There's absolutely no room for a merchant guild.

Lets look at other things as well, either with new strat or the current one. Being an information broker for example would be impossible, you could make more gold just sitting in a city not doing anything just racking up gold over time. To spy, one has to travel to the required destination meaning you're not able to sit in a territory to recruit troops or work for gold so whatever information you sell, has to be worth more than the time it took you to get to that destination, which isn't likely(otherwise your employers would just do it themselves). With gold being transferable to strategus, it's far more likely that you could make more gold this way(depending on just how much competition there is) than sitting in a village doing absolutely nothing.

To people who complain about stockpiling gold, you can only stock pile for so long, eventually you have to spend it. And then once you spend it, it's gone, so much for the life savings. A few weeks down the road after a few battles, you've already lost all your gold and the vast majority of the troops and equipment that gold bought. Seems to me that this would only be an issue "initially", if even at all.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:51:01 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2011, 07:40:10 pm »
This might change a bit, but:
there will be about a dozen raw materials.
Every village has 3 materials it can produce.
the owner can shift the production balance.
the amount of resources produced is defined by the workers in the village.
the workers are other players who get a gold wage, defined and given out by the village owner.

the real item production will then happen in towns.
a town can produce up to 5 goods at the same time.
the village owner can set a smith.
the smith's skill defines of what quality (=heirloom) the produced item is.
the amount of workers in the town (=players) define how many items will be produced.

there will be other (individual) ways of creating weapons, but that will be very slow and not feasable to equip an army with it.

Hmm, it might be beneficial for a large group of workers who aren't in clans to form a union for better pay.  Solidarity brothers!

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)