Author Topic: Why Polearms stab so much faster than 2h swords???  (Read 4299 times)

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
Re: Why Polearms stab so much faster than 2h swords???
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 01:46:14 am »
the real problem isn't as much about weapon lengths is about hitboxes, polearm hitboxes are ridiculous in that a guy can have what's considered a 31-33p attack at 1mm distances where his arm hasn't even extended all the way(if humans had automotive springs for arms maybe we could do this),

a 2h facehugging CANNOT hit you with a thrust, a polearm can do it multiple times because of the stun effect, it doesn't really matter if u have a tiny range advantage, just means one person has to block before the "dance" begins, also every weight advantage is with polearms so 2h's stun off everything so you generally have to block twice for every attack u get(katana after the weight nerf=worthless because of this)

also people like to say "Well my range 141 poleaxe actually has -xx range because of", NOT TRUE, thing is you just have a different THREAT RADIUS from your swing

let me explain, a guy with a bec swings, you're behind him, you die, why'd it happen, because of the fact the whole length of the polearm is dangerous when he swings, just because its maximum range of threat isn't as far doesn't mean it doesn't create a large area of hitting anyone, and sweeping enemies is very important

polearms are very good at that because they you may be able to say they don't extend 141 or 131 out from a thrust, but you can't say they don't threaten a larger area with each swing(they do, just some is behind to the side of where you think it is, good lolarmers use it to their advantage)

also the "poleaxe" has a better overall threat range than any greatsword(at 141), its why my Polearm alt has one heirloomed, and every similar sized polearm is heavier than every greatsword so you stun all of them so you usually get 2 strikes per 1 counter

Also changing great sword animations to be halfsword is stupid and unrealistic, read actual great sword fighting manuals(society of renaissance fighting is a good start), you'll see the stance they take with a thrust is=what we use ingame right now(sorry to the "pseudo-historians")
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 06:11:19 am »
.... that "threat radius" would be his range, 2h have those too. And in your example the 2h would still have a larger one?
And yes, longer weapon always gets first hit and that is HUGELY important. You force them to take first block. You can't just shrug that aside as if it isn't important. That decides 40% of fights in public games alone.

pole hit boxes on swings aren't any different than 2h. On overheads player collision works differently for poles than 2h, true. The thrusts is different though. 2h has a full thrust hitbox, pole has only the tip of the weapon as the hitbox. That has many pros and cons for both of them, and 2h can stab point blank like poles can - it is actually easier since you can catch them with the side of your sword by dragging into them after thrusting past them.

Weight matters. Very true. Weight matters more than weapon speed up until a point. Nothing stopping you from using a goedandag/Sword Of War/Nodachi/ Bar mace/ Morningstar :o. They all weigh quite a bit :)
I mean, the pole axe cited weighs 3.3. Sword of war weighs 3. Nodachi weighs 3.5!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:31:33 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2011, 09:52:00 am »
+1
IMHO: 2h lolstab needed a nerf. And Poles should stab a bit faster than 2handed Weapons.
But Poles should swing slower than 2handed weapons.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »
IMHO: 2h lolstab needed a nerf. And Poles should stab a bit faster than 2handed Weapons.
But Poles should swing slower than 2handed weapons.

Poles were meant to stab in the first place, later there came pole-axes and stuff, but they still served well for the first, original purpose. At least better then 2h, which only had thrust as an additional option